PDA

View Full Version : Ram-Primer flipping primers upside-down

SniderBoomer
10-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Seems to be happening a lot with large primers. I have loaded primers into some 45-70 brass and found in half-dozen out of 50 the primers pushed in upside-down.

I did a test, I found the ram is a shaky loose fit, and sometime on the up-stroke it rubs on the edge as it pushes up and it 'jumps' the primer the wrong way up.

I cannot seem to push these out with the die De-capper, the pin is pushing free of the collet, and if I tighten it awful tight, the effort feels like the pin is going to snap.

Anyone tell me how I get these live upside-down primers out without going bang?

http://i42.tinypic.com/30wrygi.jpg

bhn22
10-29-2013, 12:45 PM
They should push right out with the sizing die, but carefully, very carefully. Fast & hard= detonation.

mdi
10-29-2013, 01:10 PM
What kind of ram prime are you using? Lee's Auto-prime? In the ram prime unit I use I insert the primers individually, so they are all right side up...;)

SniderBoomer
10-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I found I need to place the primers in only when the little cup atop the Ram-primer is clear of the aluminum part that screws into the top of the press (to hold the shell holder). If I don't do this, the Ram-primer assembly catches the edges and the spring-loaded rod under the primer cup vibrates and the primers can be jiggled upside-down.

Annoying, but now I know what to do I won't do it again.

Now, to go gently with those upside-down primers...

Wayne Smith
10-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Same thing happens to me with my RCBS had primer. This is when the lid is loose, when it no longer snaps in. I need to call agin and get another replacement because I just flipped two large pistol primers last time I used it. Because I knew what could happen I wasn't surprised and I caught it before those two got to the hand primer. This latest one lasted for less than 1500 primers!

44Vaquero
11-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Just relieve the underside of the parts that are disturbing the pin/cup. Use your camphor tool, that should end the issue very quickly.