PDA

View Full Version : Black powder revolver caps

Atlast357
10-29-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm at the point of figuiring out what brand and size of percussion caps
to use on my replicas Colts and Remington.
They all seem to have different size nipples. So far Remingtpn #10
fit all I have but #11 are a problem with exception of a 1860 Colt. The
Remington #11 are good.
CCI is another story their #11 work but are loose and fall off easily.
I have some old Remington #10 that are not the same size as currently made.
Anyone have any comments on CCI #10, these are more available than Remingtons and 1/2 the price.

jaystuw
10-30-2013, 08:13 PM
At half the price i'd sure give those cci's a try. Im also in southern cal so here's a question for you, Any luck finding black powder? Jay

gspgundog
10-30-2013, 09:54 PM
No matter what brand of caps I use or BP firearm I am shooting I have always given them a little squeeze when I put them on. Learned that trick from an old BP hunting buddy after I shot at a deer and heard click instead of bang.

Rick R
10-30-2013, 10:04 PM
I bought #11 nipples to fit my 1860 Pietta clone from Track of the Wolf. They have a fit matrix on their website. Now I use the same CCI caps as my rifle.

It was thirty some dollars but I haven't had a nip slip since. :)

Atlast357
10-31-2013, 05:48 PM
I bought #11 nipples to fit my 1860 Pietta clone from Track of the Wolf. They have a fit matrix on their website. Now I use the same CCI caps as my rifle.

It was thirty some dollars but I haven't had a nip slip since. :)

#11 Remingtons fit my 1860 also, but not any others I have.

Rick R
10-31-2013, 06:10 PM
The #11 Remingtons I had fit the OEM nipples fairly well. The #11 CCI caps fit a bit more loosely but I have several tins if them. After reading a theory that chain fires were caused by caps falling off and leaving open paths to charged chambers I decided to spend the $36 for a set of stainless steel nipples. With the new nipples sized for #11 caps the CCIs fit tightly and I haven't had a cap related malfunction in over a hundred rounds.

I recently purchased tins of the Winchester extra powered caps from Walmart and some RWS caps from a local powder supplier. Now I need to find the time to go out and make some white smoke to see how they work on the new nipples.

starmac
10-31-2013, 06:26 PM
What would be the advantage of extra powder caps, if the others went bang every time?? Insurance maybe?

Driver man
10-31-2013, 07:10 PM
I have an Uberti 1858 Remington and use cci no11. A little squeeze is needed. Cant get any other kind in my neck of the woods. I have fired many thousands of no11 with little issue.

Rick R
10-31-2013, 07:58 PM
What would be the advantage of extra powder caps, if the others went bang every time?? Insurance maybe?

The true Holy Black goes "BOOM!" everytime with CCI caps, Pyrodex P yielded the occasional "Kaa?boOM!". I need to try the extra power caps with the remainder of my can of P. I also want to see if they work any better with the Pyrodex pellets in my TC Thunderhawk.