testhop
11-08-2007, 08:35 AM
ok people how about giveing me what you think is the best blackpowder bore
cleaner
i think its simple green and very hot water

tom

square butte
11-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Mine is Slip 2000. Been using it for several years now. 6 to 9 patches after a day at the range and it's done. That's on a .50 cal Getz barrel with radius cut grooves. I have not found anything i like better in 45 years of B.P. shooting. I'll be 56 day after tomarrow.

ktw
11-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Ballistol.

Largely because it's one product that works well for a lot of things; bore cleaner (cut with water), patch lube, and preservative.

-ktw

Hip's Ax
11-08-2007, 10:12 AM
For my 45/70 BP cartridge target rifle:

Moose Milk patches until they come out clean

Shooter's Choice bore cleaner (not SC BP bore cleaner, the regular one) and patches and then wet brush 20 strokes then patch out

dress the bore with lots of oil.

Since I swab every shot with Moose Milk I think my cleaning chores at the end of the day might be a lot easier than if I was blow tubeing.

Boz330
11-08-2007, 10:24 AM
I like Mike Venturino's formula. 1 bottle of vinegar Windex in a gallon jug and fill with water. Typically I run 2 wet patches and 2 dry and then oily patch. Done.

Bob

freedom475
11-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Bore-butter/Wonderlube and a Bore snake for In-lines and Sharps .........NO oil EVER.

twotrees
11-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Range jug with a standard load of MOS and water. Drop in your fired cases, patch 3-4 wet through the bore and then dry and oil. Gun clean. Take fired cases home and brush out and rinse. I usualy tumble them when dry then de-cap when I'm ready to reload them.

Good stuff, If you can get it away from the "Better Half"

Good Shooting,

TwoTrees

The Double D
11-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Oh boy I love this topic...I always get accused to trying kill small children and dogs when it comes up.

Prestone Antifreeze. Wet patches in anti freeze. Run one wet patch after another down the bore until the patch comes out clean. Usually one patch per round fired plus 5. Dry bore and oil bore with NAPA ATF5. Antifreeze contains anti corrosion and rust inhibitors and glycol alcohol which is the nasty stuff and a wetting agent.

Warning use common sense. Do not let small childern and pets chew on old patches used to clean dirty bores with whatever you use, lead bullets or Mattel toys. If you are sloppy and spill bore cleaner don't let the kid or dog lick it up. Get a rag and clean it up yourself. Hoppes 9, Windex and Antifreeze is not good for kids or dogs to consume.

scb
11-08-2007, 09:46 PM
+1 for the simple green & boiling h2o
Steve

wills
11-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Clear windex down the muzzle and on the patches. Third patch is usually clean, if i have been using the blow tube.

13Echo
11-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Cleaning a BPCR shouldn't have to be a chore. A rifle with even a halfway decent bore will clean up with nothing more than water as a powder solvent followed by dry patches and a good oil.

I've used antifreeze and it works beautifully but stopped when the Lab tried to get some of the patches. Still it worked great and has the advantages Double D claimed. I'm now using clear Windex with Vinegar (which curiously contains no vinegar) followed by dry patches followed by Ed's Red with lanolin. Three wet patches are usually all that are needed for the Sharps. The 1884 Springfield with a somewhat less than perfect bore requires 6. There is no need for hydrogen peroxide, boiling water, expensive commercial BP solvents, or a lot of time.

Jerry Liles

montana_charlie
11-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Tap water. That's all I use for the BP fouling. And I run patches till one comes out clean.

But, I no longer stop there if the gun is used for cast bullets. Having been 'ambushed' by a gradual leading buildup which went unnoticed, I now clean the rifle twice.
The first (water) cleaning gets the BP fouling, the second one (Kroil) gets the lead...if there is any.

After the bore is known to be clean down to the steel, a perservative is applied.
CM

Larry Gibson
11-09-2007, 04:16 PM
In my muzzle loader and trapdooers (45-70s) I use Windex with viniger follwed by a Kroil cleaning for the same reasons as Montana Charlie. I use this with both BP and the BP substitutes.

Larry Gibson

13Echo
11-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Montana and Larry make a good point about sneaky lead and using Kroil. It works for me too and the Kroil has some water displacing properties which isn't a bad thing when using water as a powder solvent.

Lately I've found Ed's Red gets the lead too. When I recheck the rifles the next day after cleaning and run a tight patch through the bore it'll occassionally pick up a few more flakes of lead, just like with Kroil. It cost about $8 to make a gallon of Ed's Red plus however much the 1/2lb of leftover anhydrous lanolin I added would cost.

Ed's Red gets the Lead - that's kind of catchy.

Jerry Liles

crossfireoops
11-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Windex with Vinegar / H20, ....coupla' three patches, 1-2 dry, ......oil, ..done.

Even if it doesn't have vinegar in it, ....but wait,...if it doesn't have vinegar in it, ....why do they...call,.......?

Oh, ....forget it.

GTC

moodyholler
11-09-2007, 10:52 PM
1 gallon windshield washer fluid plus one bottle HOPPES black powder solvent makes a great bore cleaner, follwed by dry patches and Kroil. Thants my success story, moodyholler

jonk
11-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Hot water and whatever soap is handy, usually laundry or dish detergent. I generally use a nipple tube, toss the end in the bucket, and pump the water back and forth until clean, then dry patches followed by one of oil.

JeffinNZ
11-13-2007, 05:15 PM
I'd love to say my wife but it just ain't so.........:mrgreen:

iron mule
11-13-2007, 10:10 PM
hot tap water little dish soap then blow dry with compressed air fianal swab with some ballistol for storage been doing it this way for years no problems yet//// mule

macvcallsign
11-15-2007, 03:20 PM
BLACK SOLVE!! Have been using for 35 yrs, shoot 2-3000 rds a year, never have had a problem. 4 to 6 patches usually and than a dry one and than an oiled one and the bore is good till the next shoot(2-3 wks). When I store the guns for the winter I will pull the barrel off - breech end in a hot bucket of soupy water and swab-this will get out any residue around the breech plug. Drys quick. than swab with clear hot water and a good oil. I use surplus LSA. If it's good enough for the military at $80.00 a Qt I figure it should work real good and IT DOES!!!.
Well, I've yacked enough. Will let the next 2-300 ideas get posted also.

P.S. I'm sure all the ideas Posted will work and it is always fun to experiment.:-D:castmine::drinks:

Old Ironsights
11-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Hot water & a bore snake. (removable breech plug)

But then I have a SS barrel and 90% of my shooting is PRB. THe rest is heavily lubed Minnie. No leading yet.

crossfireoops
11-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Jeez, ....I can't find my breechplugs, to pull for Winter storage.

......?

GTC

montana_charlie
11-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Jeez, ....I can't find my breechplugs, to pull for Winter storage.......?
You probably left those, along with the hot water cleaning tube and nipple to attatch it to, over in the Front-Stuffers forum.
CM

Et2ss
12-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Boiling Water bore mop & G96 brand CLP. Never had a problem yet with leading. I pan lube with a beeswax/olive oil/LLAlox blend, don't know if that has something to do with it.

RBak
12-02-2007, 04:43 PM
I suspect I have tried about everything mentioned here, including several quarts of Edd's Red (which seems to last forever).

That is to say, I've tried everything except Ballistol.:roll:

I hear, and read, a lot of good things about this stuff but I've never seen any on the shelf anywhere....

Is it something that has to be ordered? I "think" I have seen it in the Brownels catalog.....where do you guys find it?

Russ..

Maven
12-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Track of the Wolf carries it, as does Midway USA.

RBak
12-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks Maven.

Russ...

Ammohouse
12-09-2007, 11:17 AM
I use HOT water and whatever soap is sitting by the sink.
After its clean I run dry patches and then a mop with Bore Butter to protect it. Seems to be working out just fine.

montana_charlie
12-09-2007, 01:09 PM
I suspect I have tried about everything mentioned here, including several quarts of Edd's Red (which seems to last forever).

That is to say, I've tried everything except Ballistol.
Ed's Red is (primarily) a 'solvent'. Ballistol is a formulation of oils.
Solvents clean, oils lubricate.
Ballistol is not a 'cleaner' for BP...or any other kind of...powder fouling.
It is a high-quality lubricant which also claims some rust inhibiting traits.

The main difference between Ballistol and other common gun oils is, Ballistol is water soluable. There are occasions (especially when BP is the propellant) when that is a handy attribute to have in your oil.

And, since I mentioned 'water'...
Water is a 'solvent' for BP fouling...Ed's Red duplicates a solvent developed for smokeless powder residue.
CM

jhrosier
12-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Black Solve on the range or Dawn dishwashing liqiud and hot water at home.

Jack