PDA

View Full Version : 7.5x55 collet dies

Battis
10-28-2013, 05:04 PM
I have a Schmidt Rubin 96/11. I've fired GP-11 and PPU ammo, and decided to reload the PPU. But...I bought a set of Lee Collet Dies, not knowing that they're only for neck sizing (rookie mistake). As long as I reload the cases fired in that rifle I'm all set, but I can't form or size new brass with these dies.
So, are the collet dies worth keeping or should I just eat the shipping costs and get the full length resizing dies?

Multigunner
10-28-2013, 06:03 PM
I have a Schmidt Rubin 96/11. I've fired GP-11 and PPU ammo, and decided to reload the PPU. But...I bought a set of Lee Collet Dies, not knowing that they're only for neck sizing (rookie mistake). As long as I reload the cases fired in that rifle I'm all set, but I can't form or size new brass with these dies.
So, are the collet dies worth keeping or should I just eat the shipping costs and get the full length resizing dies?
Nothing wrong with neck sizing only for best accuracy.
I'd keep the dies you have and order another set of full length dies as well. That's what I did for loading .303 ammo, because I have more than one .303 rifle and besides wanting the option of full length resizing to allow cases used in one rifle to be used in another, which I don't expect I'll be doing, I had many cases fired in one of the rifles before I used a new bolt body to decrease head gap so I had to set the shoulder back on those cases. Also I have some salvaged cases once fired in other rifles.

So neck sizing is for best accuracy and case life while full length resizing is for convenience and economy.

PS
To get good functioning I use each fired case as a snapper cap before reloading it, the striker impact micro sizes the case body to allow smooth easy chambering.

Battis
10-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Makes sense. For the cost of lost shipping both ways on the collet dies, I'm not far off from getting a set of full length dies. And I have a lot of the fired brass already.
Thanks.

10-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Keep the collet dies, and order a Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension full length set. You never know when you'll come into more brass (new or someone else's previously fired) and a full length sizer will be needed.

milprileb
10-29-2013, 08:07 AM
I load 7.5 Swiss: boxer brass or GP11 (Tula Berdan primers work great !) and have all the dies mentioned in this tread so far.

You do need a Full Length resizing die and I have found I need to FL resize every 3 rd reloading of brass with the K31 rifle. Going beyond 3 ends up with problematic ammo at times so I hold to neck sizing with collet die two times and FL resize on 3rd reloading. You may find you can go beyond 3 till you need to bump shoulder back with FL resizing. The question is how long does brass last? GP 11 has gone beyond 10 reloads using this technique and Prvi boxer lasts 10 or more. I am not having short brass life at all. I do watch lenght of brass and keep it below the max lenght in reloading manual .

Green Lizzard
10-30-2013, 05:13 PM
sure wont hurt to have both sets, most over the counter dies are not correct for the k-31 anyway (sizes down shoulder area way too much) you may want to modify a set later

LynC2
10-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Definitely keep the collet dies, I find them to be fantastic for cast boolits due to the ability to tailor the neck tension, otherwise I would be buying a ton of bushings and neck sizing dies to achieve the same!

prsman23
10-30-2013, 06:07 PM
sure wont hurt to have both sets, most over the counter dies are not correct for the k-31 anyway (sizes down shoulder area way too much) you may want to modify a set later

He's shooting a 96/11 not a k31.

There are specific dies made with the k31 in mind. The dies he has will be ok. Definitely would add a full length.

Baron von Trollwhack
10-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Add a Redding body die....that takes care of body, case, and shoulder. You have a collet necksizer die already. As S-Rs are critical on headspace, check at every loading just because it is critical to function and accuracy.

BvT

Battis
10-31-2013, 12:25 AM
As S-Rs are critical on headspace, check at every loading just because it is critical to function and accuracy.
I'm still wrapping my brain around the idea of headspace - almost there. How would you check it at every loading?

Baron von Trollwhack
10-31-2013, 08:00 AM
I'm still wrapping my brain around the idea of headspace - almost there. How would you check it at every loading? I bought a cheap bushing a Lowes. 3/8": I.D. X 1 1/2 " long, in the parts drawer section.

Headspace is measured from the cartridge base to the midpoint of the cartridge shoulder, in the 7.5 Swiss. But we don't really care most of the time about this absolute value. So relative headspace is what to do. Take a full factory loaded case that has been fired in your gun, slip the bushing over the neck so it sits somewhere on the shoulder slope, and measure the length from bottom of the case to top of the bushing with good calipers. Be careful, square things up in measuring. That measurement is your "relative headspace " number. If the fired empty case allows the bolt to close normally , use its measurement as the measurement to use on all your cases that you check and size FOR THIS GUN. A longer measurement will usually make for hard chambering or not fit at all, shorter makes for too much brass working. Great accuracy comes from identically prepared reloads. I often check loaded rounds so I choose the bushing. You could use a fired pistol caliber case too, but will loose the loaded ammo check ability.

jonk
10-31-2013, 09:54 AM
The collet dies are fine, but over time the cases will stretch slightly and eventually require a full length sizing. With a turn bolt gun, this isn't a problem as you have the mechanical leverage to shut the bolt even if slightly snug. With a straight pull or semi auto, it's a no-go.

Baron von Trollwhack
10-31-2013, 06:07 PM
Body die or F/L die you should measure. Many dies have dimensions all over the map....HS, shoulder, base, neck diameter, etc., let alone factory brass dimentions. Who wants to produce ammo that requires the bolt's leverage to chamber a cartridge?....your accuracy possibilities will evade your desires. In the Swiss you challenge the lock up and extractor system too because they made their rifles to use super quality ammo....and produced it.

BvT