PDA

View Full Version : New H&R front sight hole = 3-48

Junior1942
10-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Heads up on the front sight hole on new H&R single shot rifles. They're 3-48 and Williams Fire Sights are for 6-48 holes. The Williams tech guy said I'd need to drill & tap the 3-48 hole for 6-48. I'd do that if the rifle was mine and not my brother's.....

Tatume
10-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Hi Junior,

My Mother's Brother went by Junior, and I'll always have fond memories of him. Uncle Junior used to walk me around the farm and stop from time to time, turn over a rock, or reach into a hollow stump, and say "now don't tell Momma." He was referring to his mother, my grandmother, and he would take a swig from a bottle of moonshine whiskey and then put the bottle back. Sadly, all of my family are now gone except my brother, sister, and I. My Father was a Junior too, and I'm a third. Dad didn't go by Junior though, he went by Buddy (to his brothers) or Tommy (to everyone else).

Those 3-48 screws are mighty small, and I'm quite surprised that H&R is using them for sight attachment. Are you sure there is enough metal there to drill and tap a 6-48?

Take care, Tom

Junior1942
10-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Yep, there's enough metal, but not for this ol' boy to drill & tap on someone else's barrel.

The Williams tech guy said this happened when Remington bought H&R. I think it was a dumb mistake. A 3-48 is indeed a tiny screw.

bikerbeans
10-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Junior,

The small front sight hole as been around for several years. I think it predates the move to Illion, NY. I agree it is a bad idea.

BB

Bullshop Junior
10-29-2013, 01:40 AM
All of my handy barrels have had the sights souldered on...