PDA

View Full Version : Tumble lube or not?

Maine1
11-08-2007, 12:00 AM
I am in the process of getting set up to cast for 45acp, 10mm, 44, 38, 9mm and 308.

I have casted lead before but not to the scientific level of you guys!

I have a question regarding different methods of lubing bullets: i am going to go with Lee 6 cavity molds whenever possible, and i originally though i would want those with a singe grease groove, but am now recomsidering.
After casing, i'd have to put the bullets in a pan and melt the lube to fill the grese groove, then cut the bullets out, right? i'm thinking the tumble lube bullets are the way to go for convenience sake.

any real advantages of one over the other?

BTW this site is an excellent source of info!!

Newtire
11-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Tumble lube is great stuff although a bit messy. I wash my hands off with GO-Jo orange cleaner afterwards. It won't lead if your boolits are the right size. You can always roll them in Midway Mica afterwards to make em less sticky but then you get slick mica stuff on your hands-not too bad. It smokes a bit like black powder but has a nice smell to it I think. I used it for years until I put my Lubrisizer into action. I still use it occasionally.

dromia
11-08-2007, 02:42 AM
Welcome aboard Maine 1. :-D

You'll end up doing most lubing methods and making your own mind up.

LA works with the caveats newtire mentioned, its a cheap, but effective, way of lubing bullets as your kit outlay is minimal.

I use it with light indoor rifle loads due to its quickness, muckle heap of bullets lubed in a couple of shakes, they do need to be allowed to dry off however so its not quiet shake and go.

Others here swear by the stuff and use it as a main lube.

For me if the choice was only between LA and pan lubing then LA would be my way to go, less of a faff on to me.

Check out the link below to Lar45s LsStuff for good LA at a great price.

testhop
11-08-2007, 06:55 AM
welcome maine1
i use both but prefurthe sizer i guess because it was what i started with but i sometimes
tumble lube i tryrd the pan lube didnt like it guess i am lazy in my old age