PDA

View Full Version : Lee hardness tster, finally got mine

AlaskanGuy
10-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Well, i finally got my lee tester, and i gotta say, it is pretty slick for a cheap thing. It tok me a bit to get the hang of it, bit confirmed what i thought i was doing with my alloys. My 30 cal stuff is running in the neighborhood of 16-18 hardness, which is right where i want it.. I need to tell you guys that are sitting on the fence with this purchase, you need this or something like it... Just for verifying what you are doing... For under 100 bucks, it is a no brainer... Just get one... Quit hemming and hawing.. You need one!!!

By the time you get around to finding the pencils and such to check it out, you could have the lee tester... I think i paid like 60 bucks with shipping for mine. If your gunna be serious about casting, you need a way to test.... Get one NOW... Lol

Ag

Larry Gibson
10-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Keep an eye out for a kids microscope and used/second hand stores. I got mine for about $13 or so. Easy to adapt to hold the Lee scope and makes measurements easy and precise.

Larry Gibson

jmort
10-28-2013, 11:31 AM
As accurate as anything else out there for less $$$. A great value.

Garyshome
10-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Yep mine works well! I need something to hold it besides my hand though.

bangerjim
10-28-2013, 01:25 PM
I have both the Lee thingy and the Cabine. Use the Cabine all the time as it is fast, accurate, and repeatable. And it is portable so I can take it with me to the scrap yards! And I can get large ingots in there and do not have to file flats on the boolits I test.

A pointer for you and the users of that Lee thing.....you do NOT need to wait 30 seconds! In extensive tests from 5-22 bhn, I have found a quick "bump-n-go" gives accurate readings as compared with the Cabine which I checked against known standards. Just make sure you bring that silly little plunger up even with the top of the holder in the press.

bangerjim

soldierbilly1
10-28-2013, 05:49 PM
the technique you use in reading the dent is key. I mean it. Just get a flat surface and use a plier or a vise grip to hold the bullet steady. Then read with the scope thingy. Oh yeah, reading in sunlight is much much better than under an indoor lamp!
BTW, file a flat on the bullet per instructions, do not, do not, read the base as it is too soft.
Good luck, the thingy works really fine when you get the bugs in your technique worked out.
billy boy