PDA

View Full Version : re-loading brass shotgun shells?

Toad
10-28-2013, 09:53 AM
I have a friend who wants to load them for cowboy action shooting. about how many times can he expect to able to re-load them? what do you seal the end with.

groovy mike
10-28-2013, 10:19 AM
If you load them with smokeless powder you should be able to load them hundreds of times. Top the shot with a card or fiber wad with a tiny bit of glue on the edge to hold it in place, or a few drops of hot wax along the edge.

KCSO
10-28-2013, 03:11 PM
I use either dap or when i can get it waterglass. I have a couple cases left that my grandfather reloaded in the 1930's and they are still good. You will need to resize the case occassionally to let them chamber properly. My resizing die is one that a machinist turned out for grams and you just lube the case and press it in with a vise and then tap the case out with a dowel. Cases will be 2 1/2" in length but with no base wad you can put in 90 grains of Fg and 1 1/2oz of shot for a heavy load.

Mike Brooks
11-01-2013, 05:36 PM
They last just about for ever with BP. I never resize. I stepped on one, they don't work well after that!

Squeeze
11-01-2013, 06:54 PM
I prob still have some old ones around. A long time ago, I used to reload them just for light load clay shooting. I know I probably reloaded mine close to a hundred times and they were still fine as far as I can remember. I think someone gave me a bunch and I just used them for a while. I tried them for hunting loads, but one would occasionally come apart and make a mess in a vest pocket, then they were just used for target loads. Im not even really sure why I stopped using them...Think they needed a different wad than all my other hulls so they got faded out when their supply ran out just to standardize everything. I know I still have a bunch of carboard rounds for them somewhere. their fine to use once you get used to them, but a bit more trouble than modern plastic crimp. (what with the wax sealing the top card and all)

cajun shooter
11-04-2013, 11:45 AM
I have used and still have many 12 ga brass cases from when i was shooting in the SASS matches. They have many negative points and that is why you don't see them being used by any of the good shooters.
First most people make the mistake of thinking that the case has to be loaded all the way to the top before using. If you do this with the brass case it will become too heavy to use in SASS shooting. The next problem is that they will not eject by themselves from side by sides and have to be hand picked from the chamber. How do I know all of this, I have gone down this trail already and learned the hard way. The only gun that I could get the brass cases to work in was the 1887 lever action. They then also end up being stepped on by the time keeper and all others in the shooting area.
They are the best hull to show up with for obtaining original cowboy points after that it is down hill. When loading these hulls with the wads and fillers you have to buy a size larger as the brass hull is a hull that has a larger ID than your other hulls. In other words you have to buy 10 ga and 11 ga components.
It is possible to shoot at a KD from just 10 yards and miss it with these hulls. Why is that you say; well if your wads are not correct and of the right size and length then you will have what is known as a donut hole. Ask me about my first "STUPID LOOK" on my face when this happened to me with about 20 people watching. Well that is enough Later Cajun Shooter AKA Fairshake