PDA

View Full Version : KAR 88 Quandry

KCSO
10-28-2013, 09:52 AM
I have a Kar 88 Commission carbine. It was a hunting rifles from Sweden and has a brass plate in the stock with the owneres name and a brass bead front sight as do a lot of the commercial ones. In fact here in the states these were sold as German hunting rifles by Sears. This rifle has about a mint bore and slugs 323 on the nose. The gun shots to POA with my load of a 210 grain bullet at 1800 fps from the little carbine barrel. Groups are running under 3" at 100 long steps with iron sights or just a little better than I can shoot. What is the problem??? The clips!!!

I broke my last original clip and ordered a few fron GPC. The new made clips are *** for sure, way too thick and way too stiff. After I ground polished and annealed I can get them to work after a fashion but they are still too stiff and are hard on the noses of cast loads. They are fine for display but thats about it.

If anyone has heard of 88 clips that work i would sure like to know as I would like a magazine gun for deer hunting.
I can't understand why if GPC is going to have clips made they can't make them right,

Baron von Trollwhack
10-28-2013, 10:42 AM
It is my experience that original clips are unobtanium. I use mine only for hunting, while target shooting I single load into the chamber. I do not have the URL but there is a M-88 forum you may find by a search. Perhaps someone there can help. Good luck.

BvT

elk hunter
10-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Original clips are hard to find. I did get four off Ebay a few years ago, but would like to find some more if anyone has some they would sell.

The 88 Commission site that I knew of has ceased to exist, a shame as it did have some good information on it.

KCSO
10-29-2013, 12:07 PM
I have been watching Gunbroker and such but the last two I bid on I got sniped at like 02:00. I just can't stay up all night to watch my auctions.

jaystuw
10-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Sorry KCSO, you are going to have to bite the bullet on this one , clips have gone up dramatically in the last few years. Likely 20 bucks apiece or more. Sucks, but worth it to shoot a really neat gun that's an antique and ships right to the house from gunbroker ect. jay

EDG
10-29-2013, 10:18 PM
I bought 2 original clips for $7 total off of Gunbroker about 4 years ago. It was interesting that I got them from a cartridge collector.
I have looked for more several times since but they have always been more expensive.