PDA

View Full Version : Gp100 Accuracy

Bzcraig
10-28-2013, 01:43 AM
Recently picked up a a GP100 3" and finally got to shoot it today using some Buffalo Bore 158 LFP. Holy cow that gun shoots nice! Gonna clean up the trigger a bit, get some molds and dies on the way and go play some more!

357Ruger
10-28-2013, 10:54 AM
I've always had to smile when I read on the internet where individuals state 686s will generally be more accurate than a GP100. Being lucky enough to have put several dozen of each through grueling accuracy tests clamped in a Ransom Rest I can tell you any of the guns can be amazingly accurate or dismally average.

Back when I used to do my tests at 25 yards the very first guns I tested were a 4inch GP and 6inch 686. I only had two loads to shoot, Winchester 145gr Silvertips and Remington 125 SJHP factory loads. We started with the Silvertips and the Smith put 6 shots into an inch where the Ruger spread them into 4inch groups. At that point I was sure the Ruger was junk, now I know better but that is human nature. Almost the exact reverse happened when shooting the Remington 125gr load. The Ruger kept trying to put them in one hole, even tighter than the Smith had the Silvertips. The Smith was giving just over 3inch groups with the 125s.

I sure many individuals shoot one load and think that proves one gun is more accurate than the other. As we know it only proves it with that load.

I no longer have that Smith but the Ruger is my Wife's favorite gun.

For years my most accurate Revolver was an 8 3/8inch 686. Now I have two Rugers and a newer 7 shot 7inch that can shoot right with it. If you shoot lead the Rugers win hands down. None of those guns will leave my collection.

Petrol & Powder
10-28-2013, 09:17 PM
The GP100 is an excellent design and they shoot far better than most people will give them credit for. Most of the time when I hear someone bashing Ruger's , they are self-appointed gun store experts.
One of the great strengths of the GP is it's incredible durability. If you bond with one and become highly proficient with it; you don't need to worry about wearing it out.
As for the trigger, springs & shims go a long way to making that good gun great.
Enjoy that GP100 and be careful how you store it,.... they tend to multiply in good homes. :-o

357Ruger
10-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Enjoy that GP100 and be careful how you store it,.... they tend to multiply in good homes. :-o

Hey, I have that storage problem too!!!

Bzcraig
10-28-2013, 11:00 PM

I hope they aren't prone to cross breeding. But if all it takes is finding a good breeding partner I'll start the search tomorrow!