PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SBH Front Sight Height

nighthunter
08-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Some of you might remember that a couple of months ago I had a thread about my SBH shooting 15 inches high at 25 yards and being out of sight adjustment. I returned the revolver to Ruger about 6 weeks ago and it was recently returned to me. Ruger repaired the barrel, replaced the base pin and the base pin latch assembly, replaced both the front and rear sights and replaced the pawl. On top of this they refinished and reblued the revolver.
All this at no cost to me.
This has been far more service than I could have ever expected from them.
For years I have owned Ruger firearms with never one problem then the first time I do have a problem they came through with outstanding service. I'm pretty sure my next purchase will also be a Ruger.
Nighthunter

RugerFan
08-24-2005, 10:20 PM
I've also been impressed with Ruger support. I called them up once to order a rear sight assembly for a SBH and they sent me the parts for no cost. Pretty amazing.

Shuz
08-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Glad to hear you got such good service from Ruger. Now, have you hadda chance to shoot your SBH?--Shuz

fecmech
08-25-2005, 05:06 PM
A couple of years ago I sent a Ruger Red label sporting clays gun back for a broken extractor. I asked them to look it over and send me an estimate as to what was needed as the gun had well over 50 k rds thru it. They replaced the extractor and all the springs in the gun and would have re-blued the bbls had they not been after market ported. All was no charge, not even return shipping and I had told them I bought it from a friend. You can't beat that kind of service. Nick

nighthunter
08-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Shuz .... shoots fine .... got about 2.5 inch groups today with it at 25 yards. Not too bad for open sights and a 5 1/2 inch barrel. They went where they were supposed to also.

9.3X62AL
08-25-2005, 05:17 PM
That all sounds real good, Nighthunter. I've been more than generous in criticizing Ruger on things like 45 Colt throats, but that little anomaly is the ONLY problem I ever had with any Ruger firearm--this from a sample population of more than 20 examples, past and present.

McLintock
08-26-2005, 06:58 PM
High shooting Rugers have been pretty common and are talked about some over on the RugerForum site. The front site blades are just too low. Many New Models have a pinned in front site blade that can be changed pretty easily but the Old Models all have a fixed front site and can be real difficult to get right. I have a .44 Mag Flattop and a .45 Colt Old Model and both shoot very high with the rear site down completely. A good fix on the OM's is to mill off the blade, mill a slot in the base and drill it for a pin and use the different height front site blades available from Ruger or aftermarket sources. You'd only want to do this with shooter grade guns, but it works. I milled off the front blade on the Flattop and dovetailed the base and made a front site from a blank I got from Brownell's and the .44 shoots dead on now. The .45 still shoots high, I just don't shoot it much. Ruger does do good work for a decent price on their guns when they're sent in for repair; particularly rebluing and finish work. My Flattop had been reblued by them and it looks great.