PDA

View Full Version : blowing out caswsw

vtv
10-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Hi all.......... I want to blow out .348 cases to fit 11.7 chamber........... Anyone have a good formula for this ........... Thanks, vtv

Nobade
10-28-2013, 08:22 AM
I don't know about a formula - I just use enough fast flake shotgun powder with cream 'o' wheat on top of it to form the cases. Start with maybe 5 grains of powder, and increase that until it works right.

-Nobade

bigted
10-29-2013, 12:01 AM
Nobade ... is it possible to get too much of the shotgun powder in the cases? I just tried to form some 300WM cases out to 458WM and bout half split pretty badly. load was 12 grains unique and the rest of the case filled with cornmeal. I know that the increase is great but I didn't think id lose half ... so wondered if I got too much powder.

Nobade
10-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Nobade ... is it possible to get too much of the shotgun powder in the cases? I just tried to form some 300WM cases out to 458WM and bout half split pretty badly. load was 12 grains unique and the rest of the case filled with cornmeal. I know that the increase is great but I didn't think id lose half ... so wondered if I got too much powder.

Yes, it certainly is possible to use too much fast powder. But in this case I don't think that's the problem. Those cases just don't want to get necked up so far, so fast. I had the same problem making 416 Taylor cases from 7mm Rem Mags. Trying to fireform them resulted in splits almost every time. But necking them up with a tapered mandrel, in steps, and annealing the necks after each step, resulted in nice cases and no losses at all.

-Nobade

elk hunter
10-29-2013, 10:04 AM
I made 12.7 cases from 348 cases and 41 Swiss from 8MM Lebel, by annealing the neck shoulder area first, then loading with 12 to 13 grains of Unique followed by a small piece of tissue, then filled the case with cornmeal and topped off with some wax to hold everything in place. I lost very few when I fired them and those I did loose were probably due to not annealing them enough.

bigted
10-29-2013, 02:47 PM
thanks ... ill try the annealing first and try em again.

bigted
10-30-2013, 01:40 PM
yep ... that's the ticket. I annealed then sized up in 2 steps to 375 after the anneal then loaded 8 grains unique followed with a case full of cm then followed this with a hand compression followed with pillow ticking to seal the messy cm from dribbling into the action ... WALLA ... not 1 split case.

thanks !!! ... :drinks: