PDA

View Full Version : 308 American bolt to tight or .....

Digger
10-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Finally made it out to the range today to try out some basic loads in the new Ruger American ...
Started out with 36 gr of IMR 4831 and the 311332 just to see how basic function would work in it and the Tanker ..
Didn't expect to much but with the Leo VX 2 scope that was given to me and a couple of Leo scope rings , I put together the combo as best I could very carefully .....
Now with no bore sighting , I had the first three rounds fly close to target and from there I started getting them on paper .... YESSSS !
Started to adjust the cross hairs and the wind came up and from there things went down hill fast , dirt blowing , couldn't hold the rifle steady .... gave up for another time.
Got my fingers crossed at least I am on paper now and can work from there ...
Question for everyone here please ....
Have been using the Lake City brass in the tanker and up to now been happy camper , ... now in the bolt I notice that when I go to close the bolt , it is very firm with a little effort to finally drop the bolt down "tight" ....
Is this Okay or should I take the sizer and move the shoulder back just a fraction more as the fit is just "so" or just a little on the tight side ? ...

Or should it be able to drop with no resistance ? ...
Thought I would pick some of the very knowledgeable people here in the forums and get some advice . .. any input would be appreciated .. thanks
digger

TXGunNut
10-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Are we talking headspace here or is the bullet engaging the lands of the barrel? Are you full-length or neck sizing?

Digger
10-27-2013, 09:17 PM
full length sizing , boolet just off the lands .... shoulder is just a little bit tight ?

runfiverun
10-27-2013, 09:33 PM
it could be, this is brass from another rifle. [or a machine gun]
how does the fired brass re-chamber?

Digger
10-27-2013, 09:40 PM
tight , as in a firm downward stroke on the bolt , with a little bit of force.....
All brass once fired lake city , re sized in a RCBS X die , has been compatible in my "tanker" garand but that is a military "chamber" 308.

TXGunNut
10-27-2013, 10:40 PM
May want to sort brass for these two. If you have access to "go/no-go" and headspace guages they could be helpful here. Short of that try chambering a FL sized case in your new rifle, bumping the shoulder back until you get slight resistance closing the bolt. If it chambers with no issues it's time to study up on case necks.

Digger
10-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks guys ..... maybe "slight resistance" is what to look for .....
Have a Wilson gauge .... maybe pay a little closer attention to it ...
Came close enough for the military chamber but a little more picky for the bolt might be required ....

Harter66
10-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Digger,
I've 3 06's and they won't share brass at all . The Rem is just long enough at the sholder base it won't go inthe Savage which has a fat shoulder, it won't chamber in the 03' due to the neck base being short and a slightly different shoulder angle . Both the Savage and 03' are too fat for the Remmy and even w/FL sizing the 03' brass won't chamber in the Remmy.

runfiverun
10-28-2013, 07:17 PM
or you can work the brass to jebus and trim it to make it work in both rifles.
you'll end up taking whatever the accuracy is doing it this way.
or maybe you'll get lucky like I did between my ruger and my armalite 308's using Remington brass only.
two of my three argies can share all ammo too, but they also share the same bolt.

I sort and store my brass separately for each rifle. [except for a few rare occasions]

10-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Also, be mindful of the trim length of your brass. After a full length size, trim it to spec.

Digger
10-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Yes .. thanks so much for the words here guys ... helps me with what to look for with this new toy...
It will be one step at a time to see what and what does not work ....
Have to admit that it is fun after popping off a few singles , working the scope , to pick up the garand and let off a series at the same target ....;) ( oh well had to change the paper any way )
So looking forward to seeing how the different boolits will work as I have (already mentioned,) the
311332 , 311365 , 311299 and Miha's 180 gr HP to try out .
Out of curiosity I miked the nose band on Miha's and it comes out at .300-.301 so we will see ...
By the way there Harter .... did you get any snow out there last night .....
Had a bit on the ground here in the Carson valley this morning and Tahoe is finally getting started with the snow all around ....

digger

whelenshooter
10-28-2013, 09:33 PM
The Americans evidently have tight or should that be 'short' chambers. I found this with my 243 and others on the net have mentioned the same thing.
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-bolt-action/88847-06-american-bolt-lift.html
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-bolt-action/78809-ruger-american-308-bolt-problem.html

I had to turn my sizer in another 1/3 turn from what any other 243 I've owned needed. After firing once I'm using a collet die and the brass fits just fine. On a positive note the brass shouldn't get worked much!
David

Digger
10-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the tidbit there whelenshooter ... so the chamber is a bit tight on some models , maybe will go thru a few more rounds and see if she loosens up a bit.
Also was thinking about a small twist more in my sizer ....
digger

Larry Gibson
10-28-2013, 10:40 PM
If the Tanker is headspaced to mill spec's and your X-die is adjusted to that then the cases probably do need the should set back a tudge for the tighter headspace of a SAAMI commercial chamber. I suggest you adjust the x-die so you can just feel the bolt close on the sized case with a little resistance in the bolt gun. Such sized cases will then still be good in the tanker.

Larry Gibson

TXGunNut
10-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Other than that, what are your impressions of these rifles?

Magana559
10-29-2013, 12:27 AM
My 06 american is also a bit tight on the down stroke of the bolt. but 1/2" groups at 100 yards makes it a great gun for the price.

Harter66
10-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Digger no snow yet ,but the clouds are very low ,been raining all morning. I've heard Fallon got/is getting some.

Digger
10-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Seems we will be getting sun tomorrow there Harter .. the mountains here have their first good wet heavy snow of the season.
Will do what Mr. Gibson and others have suggested and slightly adjust the die a tad more and test fit from there ...
The Americans are put together as simple and efficiently as possible , as far as the aesthetics are concerned , they lack quite a bit compared to the classic lines of wood and steel but apparently Ruger put a lot of effort into the finer , more critical points of barrel/action , "float" , mounting ....
And it shows from what every one else out there is getting with results apparently .... for the most part all I have seen or heard is very positive about a very accurate rifle .. and looking forward to finding out for myself.
What a contrast from holding and shooting a heavy military type then pick up the American ....wow ! so small and light ...

digger

whelenshooter
10-29-2013, 09:34 PM
I love mine. I'm shooting mostly jacketed though I do have a mold for cast just waiting on a freechex from Charlie. I've only shot handloads through my 243 and I just picked loads for 70, 85, 87 and 95 grain bullets with no load workup yet. I have gotten a few lucky sub 1" 3 shot groups but most have been closer to 2" and some over that by a little. Overall I'm pleased. My scope is a tasco 3x9 world class that is blurry to me at over 100 yards. I have an old single power (7) weaver I'm going to mount on it. It's a better scope though decades older.

It has a matte blue which looks decent. The stock is black plastic which will never be my favorite but it's serviceable. The trigger is great and I think once I get the loads dialed in and switch scopes she'll be pretty accurate as well. More accurate than me for sure. Long answer short I like the rifle.

Other than that, what are your impressions of these rifles?

Digger
10-30-2013, 08:46 PM
If the Tanker is headspaced to mill spec's and your X-die is adjusted to that then the cases probably do need the should set back a tudge for the tighter headspace of a SAAMI commercial chamber. I suggest you adjust the x-die so you can just feel the bolt close on the sized case with a little resistance in the bolt gun. Such sized cases will then still be good in the tanker.

Larry Gibson

Just a question here Mr. Gibson if you would , .. with the X-die helping the brass last , do you also "anneal" your brass ?
thanks
digger

Larry Gibson
10-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Just a question here Mr. Gibson if you would , .. with the X-die helping the brass last , do you also "anneal" your brass ?
thanks
digger

No, I get 20+ firings per case mostly and by that time they are pretty beat up from functioning in the M!A or other gas guns. That is pretty good and useful case life, eh? In bolt guns I have yet to anneal LC, R-P or WW cases even after a lot of firings. Basically I quit tracking times fired after 20........

Larry Gibson

Digger
10-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Impressive to say the least ... something to look forward to indeed ....;)
thanks