PDA

View Full Version : Super Blackhawk Hunter Front Sight Modification

Gibbs44
10-27-2013, 06:48 PM
A while back I began a project as the title implies. Not that I didn't like the front sight I already had, it's just that I couldn't see the orange plastic very well when it got darker. I was perusing Gary Reeder's website, when I saw that he had a gold bead/v rear sight for the SBH Hunter. Price isn't unreasonable, so I was about to order it when I thought about making mine somewhat more visible, so what the heck, if I ruin mine I'll just buy the one I saw there to replace it. One junk piece of brass all thread, a hacksaw and two files later, I'm getting closer. I'm sure someone with some kind of machining skills could possibly knock something like this out short order especially after the first couple, but me...

This is what the sight looks like after having the plastic busted off, sorry for the bad picture.

Still some fitting to do.

Getting close to where I want it.

seagiant
10-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Hi,
Looks DARN good to me!!! Machinery don't make a Gunsmith! The best skill IMO for a guy that likes to work on his own weapons, is file work! If you can't handle a file, don't work on your own stuff. Looks like you can!

Whiterabbit
10-27-2013, 08:32 PM
OK, very interested. I was thinking about JUST this "problem" on Friday. Had no idea what the "best" solution would be. Trijicon front sight maybe? Williams fire sight? Really no idea.

I DO like post and V with a white line down the middle, but never tried it in twilight. So a brass tip plus V in the back is what the experts recommend for twilight shooting?