PDA

View Full Version : 32 Special

6pt-sika
11-07-2007, 09:06 PM
This is not about cast bullets I'm afraid :roll:

However , Hornady has seen fit to come out with the rubber tipped Leverevolution round in 32 Special :drinks:

I am hoping this may mean Marlin will bring the 336XLR out in 32 Special as well [smilie=1:

Also Hornady is showing the 357 and 44 MAG rounds will be offered with the same type flex tip bullets . Makes you wonder if possibly Marlin may be coming out with a model 1894XLR in 357 and 44 MAG as well !!!!!!

Anybody that has read anything I write should not be surprised when I say , if Marlin makes those three rfiles I will have to have one of each :drinks:

Blammer
11-07-2007, 09:11 PM
NO NONONONO! I don't have any money right now, they CAN'T come out with a 32 special!

they must wait!

Baron von Trollwhack
11-07-2007, 09:26 PM
That's pretty good news for us old 32 Remington holdouts. BvT

Dr.Doug
11-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Baron-

Tell me about your 32 Remington. I just acquired a Rem 141 in that caliber and would like to get it up and running. (sorry, WAY off topic!)

Doug

Ranch Dog
11-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Now that would put me over the edge... another Marlin worth buying! Of course you know what this means 6-pt.... further delay on that Ranch Dog bullet. If one is coming we got to get a chamber cast from it. I'm going to put my Marlin feelers out.

hydraulic
11-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Dr. Doug: Well, I'm not Baron, but I'd like to tell you about my .32 Remington Model 8 anyway. Paid $450 for it at Tulsa last year, and it came with a set of Redding dies ($59 at Midway)and half a box of brass. It has the Marbles factory tang sight and has about 80-90% original blue and stock finish. I have an Ideal 323470 8mm mould and found a .325 sizing die in my stuff that I got somewhere. 20 grs of AA2230 works the action smartly. Being short of brass I turned off the rim of some .30-30's and ground an extractor groove with a file. Ran them through the sizing die and they work fine. KCSO recently gave me a handful of .30 Remington brass so I'm in good shape for brass. KCSO and some of the other guys here in the county have an assortment of 8's and 81's so we're talking about getting Remington match going. My .32 must be an early one because it has a four digit serial number in the 7000's.

6pt-sika
11-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Now that would put me over the edge... another Marlin worth buying! Of course you know what this means 6-pt.... further delay on that Ranch Dog bullet. If one is coming we got to get a chamber cast from it. I'm going to put my Marlin feelers out.

RD , the delay on the mould won't bother me in the least ! I'll just be happy if you see fit to make a .321-.323" bullet mould [smilie=1:

jjamna
11-12-2007, 04:17 PM
On the Hornady bullets they also are bringing a 22 WMR out with the flex tip. I will almost bet it shoots as good as the 17

garandsrus
11-12-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't know any details, but a guy at our range had a target full of Hornady's LeverEvolution bullets in 30-30 keyhole. He went and bought some Feferal or Winchester (I don't know which) bullets and they shot fine out of the same gun on the same day.

Has anybody heard of this problem with the Hornady ammo? It was the first I had ever heard of it.

I did see the target.

6pt-sika
11-12-2007, 07:41 PM
I don't know any details, but a guy at our range had a target full of Hornady's LeverEvolution bullets in 30-30 keyhole. He went and bought some Feferal or Winchester (I don't know which) bullets and they shot fine out of the same gun on the same day.

Has anybody heard of this problem with the Hornady ammo? It was the first I had ever heard of it.

I did see the target.

Don't know what the deal was with your friend .

But I have shot every Leverevolution chambering that has hit the market to date . And have had problems with none of them to date :drinks:

Matter of fact last season I killed a fat little doe with the 336XLR 30-30 shooting the Leverevolution bullet .
And this season I have a 308 Marlin Express , 35 REM , 444 Marlin , 450 Marlin and 45-70 set up with the Hornady Leverevolution bullets . All of these rifles are Marlin XLR's as well [smilie=1:

MTWeatherman
11-20-2007, 01:02 PM
If Marlin brings that XLR out with a 16 inch twist and Ballard rifling...I'll be standing in line to get one. Like my '94 Winchester, it'll be dedicated to cast bullets.

Surprised to see them actually bring out that LEVERevolution bullet for the .32 without any current rifles in production for it...or for over 30 years for that matter. I'm with you 6pt...I've got some optimism that Marlin might reintroduce the caliber. It would be a bit ironic that one of the best cast bullet cartridges ever produced would owe that reintroduction to a state of the art jacketed bullet.

corvette8n
11-20-2007, 01:20 PM
I e-mailed Hornady and they said the .32WS Leverevoultion won't be in production until June 2008. Looks like it will be available for Fall 2008 hunting season.

6pt-sika
11-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Somewhere a couple weeks ago I posted what configurations I would like to see Marlin bing the 32 Special back out in .

I said of course the 336XLR , the same style as the 308MX , and in the Guide Gun style .

I still think any and all of those would be great :drinks:

However it just hit me of a fourth variation I would be most happy to see and purchase . That being the 32 Special in a 336CB !!!!!!! That would be really cool a 24" octagon barreled rifle . I already have the 336CB in 30-30 and 38-55 , and believe me I like them both quite alot :drinks:

So MArlin take the challenge and make ALL FOUR variations :drinks:

It might strap me for awhile , but I'll purchase one of each variation should you see fit to make them :-D

Chuck 100 yd
11-23-2007, 01:33 AM
"I don't know any details, but a guy at our range had a target full of Hornady's LeverEvolution bullets in 30-30 keyhole. He went and bought some Feferal or Winchester (I don't know which) bullets and they shot fine out of the same gun on the same day."
Like 6pt I have never had a problem with the LE ammo either. Are you sure he wasn`t shooting .30-30`s in a .32 special?
LE ammo shoots great in every rifle I have shot it in.

garandsrus
11-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Chuck,

I don't know as I didn't see the guy shooting the bullets, I just saw the target the next day and heard about it. You could have figured out the problem though! This was during our open sight in, so we get a lot of people that don't shoot much...

John

Bret4207
11-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Grafs had 30 Rem brass for $28.00 @ 100, but it's out of stock. The lady I talked to said she thought the price might be the same when they restock, depending on how long ago the order was placed. I have a M-14 32 Rem on layaway and a Lyman mould for the 32 Rem Auto, but it's the RN. I'm going to pick up the RCBS 32 WS mould when I can.

I really wish Marlin would do as Winchester did and start bring out some retro looking rifles in cal's such as 25/35 or 25/36, 219 Zipper, 30-30, 32 WS, 38-55, etc. Although I risk the wrath of the general population, I always thought Marlins early rifles were the 2nd best looking levers out there, Savage being #1 of course.

6pt-sika
11-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Although I risk the wrath of the general population, I always thought Marlins early rifles were the 2nd best looking levers out there, Savage being #1 of course.

With a statement like that I think you need to remove yourself from my thread :-D

Actually I had a trio of 99's awhile back . Pair of 300's and a 30-30 . They were nice enough and shot well enough . But for some reason they didn't grow on me like the Marlin's seem to [smilie=1:

I did before I left north east PA almost pick up a nice Savage 99 Carbine in 303 Savage caliber . Still kinda wish I had bought that one :???:

Of the pair of 300's I had , one was made in the mid 20's and was a TD model . I liked that one the best and shot it the most . Also totally with cast bullets . For awhile I wanted a 250 Savage in the same configuration to go with it but I never got one :(

6pt-sika
11-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Personally now I think the early Marlin's are the BEST looking lever rifles . Followed by the Winchester 1886 . And in third I would have to put the often not heard of Stevens lever rifles Model 425 I believe . To me they look very similar to a Marlin 1893 and were chambered in the Remington calibers (30 REM , 32 REM and 35 REM).

6pt-sika
11-23-2007, 09:28 PM
I have a M-14 32 Rem on layaway and a Lyman mould for the 32 Rem Auto, but it's the RN. .

From a member here I acquired a Lyman 257325 mould for use in my Marlin 1893 in 25-36 Marlin caliber . That mould was originally made for the 25 REM cartridge . But it works very well in the old Marlin . I would never have looked for one , but that was what Ken Waters used , so if it was good enough for him ...........[smilie=1:

Only problem I have with the 257325 is the fact that its a single cavity mould :(

Larry Gibson
11-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Well if marlin brings it out I too hope they keep the 16" twist and ballard rifling. I will get one then. Had to pass on a beautiful M64 at a gunshow last year in.32. Guy wanted $750 for it and wouln't budge.Here's hoping Marlin does it right.

Larry Gibson

pumpguy
11-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Curse you 6pt. I keep hoping this thread will die, but, it just won't!!! I have been obsessing about the thought of a Marlin in .32 Special ever since you started this darn thread. I didn't get myself too worked up when the .308MX came out, but, I can not get this one out of my mind!! I am like you and think Marlins are the best looking levers out there. This probably explains why I have 10 of them and counting!! I hope the new ammo from Hornady is really a sign that we are going to see a rerelease from Marlin!!

6pt-sika
11-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Curse you 6pt. I keep hoping this thread will die, but, it just won't!!! I have been obsessing about the thought of a Marlin in .32 Special ever since you started this darn thread. I didn't get myself too worked up when the .308MX came out, but, I can not get this one out of my mind!! I am like you and think Marlins are the best looking levers out there. This probably explains why I have 10 of them and counting!! I hope the new ammo from Hornady is really a sign that we are going to see a rerelease from Marlin!!

I may be way off base in my thinking . But I cannot see how Hornady could bring out the new fangled rubber tipped stuff in hopes of folks using it in the old 32's .

It's just my feeling of course , but I would be way way surprised if Marlin DID NOT bring out something in 32 Special . And since they are really pushing the XLR line I think that might be a good bet , or based on a wee bit cheaper price I think the blued walnut version like the 308MX would be another possible option . I truly think if they do it will be one of those . But again this is all pure speculation on my part [smilie=1:

But darn I'm having a good time thinking about this one :-D

6pt-sika
11-24-2007, 01:19 AM
Lets see Pumpguy !
I already have 32 Special Marlin's in a 336SC that was made in 1950 . A Model 1936A that was made in the late 30's . And a Model 1893 that was made about 1910 .

And I would still like to find a nice early 50's 336A with a real nice bore for lever silhouette .

And then whatever Marlin may possibly bring out in 2008 [smilie=1:

6pt-sika
11-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Pumpguy , should they come out with a new 32 Special at marlin and you get one .
You can start helping me harass Ranch Dog to make a mould [smilie=1:

Somehow I don't think it will take alot to get him intrested LOL's.

6pt-sika
11-24-2007, 01:23 AM
Heck the way I've been pushing their product for the last few years , Marlin should give me a PR job . Or atleast give me an employee discount LOL's.

6pt-sika
11-24-2007, 01:36 AM
One more thing [smilie=1:

I know this is way premature , but..............

Called my dealer buddy today on the phone . Made sure he had the 32 Special Leverevolution on order with his distributers . Told him to get 5 boxes . And while I was at it I also had him get in an order for two boxes of the Lever in 357 and 44 MAG .

Then I told him I thought Marlin was gonna bring out a 32 Special in 2008 and to get me one . He asked which model and I told him I did not know even if there was gonna be one ,but thought so . His next question was , if they have more then one model does it matter or would you like one of each ?

And ya know what I said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE OF EACH [smilie=1:

pumpguy
11-24-2007, 02:54 AM
I could probably be persuaded to take one of each. Just have to figure out how to hide a silver and gray one from SWMBO!!! Everything else "looks the same" to her.

6pt-sika
11-24-2007, 06:34 AM
I could probably be persuaded to take one of each. Just have to figure out how to hide a silver and gray one from SWMBO!!! Everything else "looks the same" to her.

Cover it with camo tape [smilie=1:

Vintageautomobilia
01-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Personally now I think the early Marlin's are the BEST looking lever rifles . Followed by the Winchester 1886 . And in third I would have to put the often not heard of Stevens lever rifles Model 425 I believe . To me they look very similar to a Marlin 1893 and were chambered in the Remington calibers (30 REM , 32 REM and 35 REM).

Hi,

I agree Marlins are the best looking. As for Winchesters, I would add the Winchester 1892.

I own a Stevens 425 High Power #4837 in .32 Rem (these rare lever guns were also available in .25 Rem as well as the calibers you mention). You are right, the Stevens 425 is not often heard of. I am trying to put together a list of known Stevens 425 rifles' serial numbers (and their calibers). If anyone has one, or knows about one, would you please post its serial number and caliber. I'll start a thread for that, or you can go to 24hourcampfire.com/Savagecollectors/stevens425highpower.

Thanks!

Peter