PDA

View Full Version : Grirls/Give me your thoughts Browning 1885 40 65 BPCR

Randy C
10-27-2013, 12:35 AM
The rifle I was looking at was at the gun show in Williston ND. It's a Browning that looks like my 45 70 American marksman sharps, but the barrel on this is made by Badger 40 65 . I thought mine was serious but this is way Bigger around, but it is only 30 1/2".long badger barrel It is right at 2000.00 for a used gun It looks new, I would spend 465$ for Hoke sights if I bought it. But I don't spend that kind of money with out selling it to my wife first. Lets look on the other side of my question I want her to look forward to going to the shooting meets I have thousands of dollars of reloading equipment here but, She says she could out shoot us,I want her to have a chance to out shoot the boys and make friends with the girls. Is this the right gun for a girl to shoot a 1000yd's pluse, OH I have to drive her home with that smile on her face if she beats us/me. What's your opinion.
Thanks RC

EDG
10-27-2013, 04:42 PM
You can usually find that rifle complete with the original set of Browning supplied sights for anywhere from $1400 to $1600. The sights were pretty good and they were manufactured by AMT. http://www.advancemfgtech.com/gun_sight.htm
It is my understanding that these sights are no longer manufactured by AMT.
If you pay nearly $2000 for one of the 40-65 rifles it should come with a set of sights.

country gent
10-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Weight may be a factor for her. Also at 1000+ yards 40-65 may be a little wanting. Alot of matches havve a bullet wieght / velocity min that has to be met. First off would be to check with the match directors in the area and find out te rules, Next would be for her to handle the rifle and see if it "fits". My wife shot high power with me and it was great fune for both of us. Find what fits and she is comfortable with.

Randy C
10-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Thank you for the advice I think I will wait for one priced like you said, most of the shooting is off sticks not a lot of fee hand but you are wright about getting a gun that she can handle and have it fitted for her.

Chill Wills
10-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Some good advice here and I would say that none of these rifles are a glove fit for most women of typical frame These rifles are better configured for prone shooting and it takes some experience to shoot them offhand, even kinda well. Many never do.

The one piece of often held wisdom that just ain't so (so much anyway) is the 40 cal not being up to par at long-range. It will do just fine! Long-range shooting is all about calling the wind - not shooting through it. A 40 cal is MUCH more user friendly on those who are not so big and that helps putting them in the center over the course of the match. It is hard to shoot a good score when you are pushing the rifle away just before each shot to avoid getting hurt. I see it a lot - mostly from men. The rifle does not fit them or they have no idea how to hold it prone with out being hurt.

As far as a 40 cal holding up at 1000y v a 45. .....I would much rather shoot a stable 40 cal bullet than what some put down range with their 45's. The out of round holes in the target tell the story. BTW- I mostly shoot 45's for LR matches because I have them.:wink: Were I to start over I would have less 45's.

Michael Rix

gmsharps
10-28-2013, 01:25 AM
I bought one of the first Brownings in 40-65 when they came out. I still really like my Shiloh 45-70 but the 40-65 takes a lot of the shoulder punishment away. I have shot the Browning at Raton NM at a 800yd match and did just fine. I did not win but I shot my abilitys at the time. The AMT sights work well so no need to change them out unless you had a set just sitting around and they are tall enough for the long distance shooting as well. I'm not sure ofthe current prices or values but I think TexasMac would know and he knows more about the Brownings than most folks do.

gmsharps

Randy C
11-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the advice My 1999 Subaru outback is hurting all of a sudden looks like 5000.00 for a new motor installed why does this **** happen. I had plans on having heat put the 30x60 garage that has a shop on top the same size and putting a shooting range in the shop with a back stop to catch my led 60 to 75 feet long and having a heater installed in the little garage this winter.
RC

bigted
11-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Randy ... man that sounds like a real idea. "shooting range in the shop" what a great project. kinda makes a fella desire to dig out a 100 or 150 foot trench into the bank and cover it with a hip roof and lights down the lane. heat and snow/rain proof. I believe you just cost me a bunch of work ... thanks a bunch ... I gotta stop reading this filth ... LOL ... :kidding:

rr2241tx
11-12-2013, 08:00 PM
TexasMac can definitely tell you all about the Browning 40-65 BPCR, that's what he shoots in competition. He buys and sells the rifles too, so you might ask what he has in stock.

Clark
11-16-2013, 02:59 PM

I bought a Browning 1885 in September.
$1,375.00 [winning bid] + $29.99 [shipping] + $50 [DJ's FFL] + $133.48 [9.5% WA sales tax]=$1588.47 out the door
I had #11 and #29 Weaver scope mounts [bases] sent to where I was hunting.
But the front mount #29 is flat on the bottom and the hex barrel has a slight taper at that point.
I could not fix that in the field, so I did not hunt with that rifle.
I used a back up rifle, a 1963 Rem 700 that I had rebarrelled and re stocked from 7mmRem Mag to 7mmRem mag.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/Buck2013436meterss7mmRemMag.jpg

Next year I will likely shoot a deer with the Browning 1885.