PDA

View Full Version : Would Like to borrow a sight pusher.

45nut
11-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Anyone have a sight pusher available to loan? I bought some Heinie Night sights last year for my XD 45 but the round tuits have been scarce, upon finally attempting to remove the front sight I found it nearly impossible to move with a brass drift/hammer as is my usual method.
Barring a loan, anyone here familiar with the XD and willing to swap out my sights?

Thanks in advance for looking.

fourarmed
11-07-2007, 07:40 PM
There's an interesting article in the latest "Gun Digest The Magazine" (formerly Gun List) describing how to push out sights with a punch mounted in the chuck of a drill press. A matter of clamping the slide (suitably protected) in the drill press vise with the sight extending outside the vise, bringing the punch down against the sight, and pulling the handle to lower the quill. I would assume it would work best in a large drill press.

todd987
11-07-2007, 09:59 PM
I have a homemade pusher that may work. Be happy to send it your direction.
Todd

KCSO
11-08-2007, 10:47 AM
For an XD you will not have any luch with a standard pusher. These are in SO tight that I have had to mill them out to put in replacments. You can't turn a standard sight pusher enough to move these. I have a special pusher made up to fit in a bench vice and I soak the sights in Kroil for a day befor i try and move them and I still have to use a steel insert in the pusher.

ANeat
11-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Yes the XD sights are super tight. Ive cut em out and punched em out before.

Adam