PDA

View Full Version : Revolver chambers

ian45662
10-26-2013, 01:32 PM
If my SBH chambers slug to 431 is a boolit sized to 430 to small? How much can I expect a boolit made of straight wheel weights and air cooled to bump up with 19.5 grains of 2400 or will it even bump up in the chamber?

Larry Gibson
10-26-2013, 05:10 PM
No, .430 is not "to small". My Ruger BHFT also pins out at .431 and I shoot mostly .430 sized cast through it and occasionally .429 commercial cast. Neither the Ruger nor I can tell any difference in accuracy between those 2 sizes and a .431 sized cast bullet. I've also shot .429/.430 sized cast through many other .44s with excellent accuracy, even a couple with .434 throats. Cast sized to .434/.435 in those oversize throats shot no better and even a lot worse a forcing them down to .429/.430 in the barrel did not do much for accuracy.

The obturation of your bullet will depend on the weight (inertia) of the bullet with that load. As to potential leading the alloy and lube are more important than a precise "fit" in the throats. A good soft lube such as NRA 50/50 or BAC works very well. I suggest adding 2% tin to your WWs will improve the alloy and obturation will not be an issue pro or con.

Larry Gibson

Tatume
10-26-2013, 07:29 PM
If it turns out that your bullets are too small, you should be able to beagle the mold easily.

MtGun44
10-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Do you mean cylinder throat or chamber?

As a general rule, boolits sized to cylinder throat diameter will shoot the most accurately, if
this size is larger than groove diameter. OTOH, don't overthink this.

Shoot the gun and if there is some demonstrated difficulty, then there are various approaches
that have worked for others to SOLVE REAL PROBLEMS. It seems many want to modify a
pistol that is working fine as is.

So - shoot throat diameter boolits as a starting point, unless it is difficult to make them that
size. Many guns give very useable performance from boolits slightly smaller than throat
diameter. Then shoot whatever you have - until you have leading or inaccuracy, you are fine.

If you just want to fiddle, test to see if larger diameter shoots better for you in your gun.
Mr. Target has ALL the answers.

Bill