PDA

View Full Version : Range session with 1894 Winchester SRC JES .38-55 rebore

Ithaca Gunner
10-26-2013, 11:55 AM
I took my 1894 SRC .38-55 JES Rebore to the range this morning and burned through 65 rounds of ammo loaded with the LEE 38-250 gr boolit sized to .377 and lubed with Lyman Orange Magic. I would have loved to have used some boolits from my Accurate mold, but I just couldn't get them ready in time.

All loads used Star-Line brass and Remington 9 1/2 primers, 5 powders were used, Unique, 2400, IMR 4227, IMR 4198, and IMR 4895. Shooting was done off a bench at 50yds. The results with 10gr of Unique and 15gr of 2400 were disappointing, 32gr of IMR 4895 shot so-so. These were recommended loads from old Lyman manuals and "Pet Loads" for the Lyman 375248.

18gr. of IMR 4227 and 24gr. of IMR 4198 did well enough to repeat the loadings and fine tune them, both turning in just over 2" groups at 50yds discounting the first shot from a cold barrel which went about 2" high with all loads tested. I've not used IMR 4198 before, but IMR 4227 has always given great results with cast boolits in every rifle I've shot with it, finding the sweet spot is all that's required, and it usually doesn't come hard.

I'm usually not a fan of bevel base boolits, but for $19.98 the LEE mold did a pretty good job and I'm rather pleased with it. The groove diameter of the JES rebore is .3765 and a .377" die was all I could get my hands on at the time and the LEE dropped boolits at .381" out of the mold using w-w alloy. The Accurate mold drops at .3795" and I think I'll just lube them and load them unsized and see what happens.

Bore clean up was a breeze, some light powder fouling and no trace of lead fouling at all. The bore is bright and shiny, boasting 5 new grooves and waiting for another trip to the range. Point of impact for windage was just slightly left of center, (close enough not to make a sight adjustment until "THE" load is found). Elevation varied depending on the load, but was close enough using the 50yd sight. Although built in 1898, my SRC does not have the classic Winchester carbine "ladder" sight, it has a folding three leaf "express" type with platinum lines in the center graduated, 50-100-200yds. Jesse was right in his letter that came back with the gun, it shoots to sights.

All in all, my experience with JES Reboring has been nothing short of A+++! A great guy to deal with, fast turn around time, fair price, and fantastic workmanship! He'll get more work from me in the future! Now I have a "kake-kutter" to make.

TXGunNut
10-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Sounds like you're off to a great start! I'd bump up the 2400 load at least a grain, probably same with Unique. 9 1/2 primers used to be my go-to primers, now thinking the Federal primers are worth the trouble. Had great results with their match primers but my supply is getting a little low.
Sounds like you need a new sizer but shooting them unsized just might work.
Do you have a chronograph? Mine has come out of retirement recently to help sort out out load development. It's pointed out areas in need of improvement for me, namely alloys and crimp.
Glad you're pleased with your JES rebore, doesn't surprise me a bit, tho.
Carry on and keep us posted. If I didn't have a nice .375 Big Bore I'd be hunting up a 30-30 to have JES open up to 38-55....may just do it anyway.

KirkD
10-27-2013, 05:27 PM
I have found IMR 4227 to be very position sensitive and to give substantial differences in velocity depending upon whether the powder was back or forward. I eventually went with 5744 which has almost exactly the same burn rate as IMR 4227 but much less sensitive to position with a Winchester Magnum primer.