PDA

View Full Version : Question of judgement and question of ability

beezapilot
10-25-2013, 06:55 PM
At the trap club this last week a question was posed that posed lots more questions. It was suggested that a Model 30 or 31 S&W of later manufacture could easily be cylinder bored to accept a .32 H&R mag and that the J frame, being safe for .38 Spec would handle the pressures. (hmmmmmmmm..... sounds a bit optimistic to me)

HOWEVER if this is indeed the case, anyone know of someone that will perform that conversion??? Or is this the lunacy that it sounds????????????

I appologize in advance- I'm certainly not a gunsmith, and often operate on the only stupid question is the one not asked theory....

carbine86
10-25-2013, 07:01 PM
I'd be interested to see what people have to say on this one.

mikeym1a
10-25-2013, 07:18 PM
I don't have any figures in front of me, and I'm certainly not familiar with those to guns. I do shoot the .32S&WL, handloaded. My handload, not the max in the manual I used at the time, pushes a 90gr swc at approx 950fps, according to the manual. This is in a 1st Model Hand Ejector. This round gives a 'crack', instead of the 'pow' given by the factory loads. I believe the .32 Mag is loaded to ~1200fps. I have no idea of the pressure levels of the two cartridges. My load exhibits no signs of high pressure. The primer is not flattend or cratered, the cases fall out of the cylinder with no trouble. With factory sights and this load, I can hit silhouettes at 75yds. I guess it would all depend on the firearm. If the cylinders for the S&WL and the Mag were made of the same steel, and thicknesses were the same, then, MAYBE. As Clint would say, '....do you feel LUCKY...'? :-P

Nobade
10-25-2013, 08:09 PM
I would think a call to Hamilton Bowen would be in order. He ought to know.

-Nobade

williamwaco
10-25-2013, 08:32 PM
The .38 Special normal loads are 16,000 to 17,000 psi.
The .32 H&H normal loads are 20,000 to 21,000

How far are you willing to push it?

Tdart
10-25-2013, 09:36 PM
One thing we have to be careful of is assuming that since something was also chambered in a higher pressure cartridge, then it is safe for higher pressure. Manufacturers, in my understanding, can use different heat treating processes on the same action to make it stronger. The lower pressure chamber may be of different metal than the higher pressure.

mikeym1a
10-25-2013, 11:46 PM
One thing we have to be careful of is assuming that since something was also chambered in a higher pressure cartridge, then it is safe for higher pressure. Manufacturers, in my understanding, can use different heat treating processes on the same action to make it stronger. The lower pressure chamber may be of different metal than the higher pressure.

Good answer. I was thinking that, but didn't quite know how to put it. Good answer.

Mk42gunner
10-26-2013, 12:19 AM
S&W made a few J-frames in .32 H&R Magnum. If I wanted a J-frame in .32 H&R Magnum (I do), and had the money (I don't), I would find one of them instead of rechambering one of the .32S&W Longs.

A .38 Special J-Frame is a five shot, giving the advantage that the locking bolts aren't directly over the chamber. the .32 cal J-Frames that I have seen are all six shot, with the locking bolt cut directly over the chambers.

I have no idea if there is a difference in the metal or heat treatment for the cylinders of the factory .32 H&R Magnums versus the .32 S&W Longs, but why take a chance?

Robert

leftiye
10-26-2013, 07:42 AM
S&W long runs at about 16000 psi., .32 mag runs at 20,000+or-. Not much of a difference. Funny thing, I was just asking myself that question. The .32 mags that S&W makes (made) cost a bunch. Rechambering should be easy. Replacement cylinders can be had if it doesn't work (bulges chamber - which I really can't imagine), or for "convertible" cylinder.

Now if the .32 mag. were really a magnum ctg., the answer would be way different. Hot loading your .32 long might make more difference.

Larry Gibson
10-26-2013, 09:39 AM
I have both 32 H&Rs and a M30 S&W 32 S&WL. I also pressure test both cartridges in the Contender barrel via an Oehler M43. I suggest leaving the 32S&WL as such for all the reasons mk42gunner mentions. The Model 30 in 32 S&WL can be safely loaded to equal the 32 H&R LSWC factory loads (I do it with TL314-90-SWCs). Real 32 H&R Magnum loads are another story and should be left to revolvers made for that cartridge such as the Ruger pictured, Contenders or S&Ws.

Larry Gibson

leftiye
10-27-2013, 07:11 AM
'Swut I said.