PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question, SHOULD they stay on?

dmclark523
10-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Hey guys, I looked over the stickies and through the first page here, but didn't really come across an answer.

I'm using checks from 338RemUltraMag, which I think is a very upstanding guy and a pleasure to do business with.
I'm using his checks on a 45 Auto, as well as through my 357 Mag. After recovering some rounds, I noticed that
the checks had not stayed on. I followed up by testing some Hornady checks on the 357, but same results, which makes
me think this is less of the check design and more of the sizing, crimping?

Using gas checks eliminates all traces of leading I had in my barrel, but I wonder if I am missing out on
some accuracy. Is there a test to know how tight your gas checks should be?

Any advice?

Drew

shredder
10-25-2013, 04:09 PM
As I understand it, if you can't pull it off with a thumbnail after a trip through the sizing die, you should be good to go. If the check takes a bit of work to get it on the heel of the boolit I feel better about the tight initial fit too. I use a little brass hammer and a boolit seating stem from a reloading die to seat the boolit completely into the check. I also have a press mounted setup to seat the checks but I actually prefer this method and I use the machined flat on my anvil to seat them on. They shoot better now.

First things first though, how do they shoot? If all is well at the target then all is well.

The vast majority of boolits that I have recovered are not wearing thier checks. Even those that went into a snowbank and found the next spring were mostly naked. I do have a handful that I have collected over the years that still wear thier checks. I can find no reason why any of them would still wear the gas check if they hit a clay bank, judging from the erosion on the sides of the boolit after a trip through a few inches of mother earth. I have a couple from the sand/clay berm that have retained thier checks and have either mushroomed out or otherwise had the nose very deformed, bent etc by the impact velocity. These would have been shot at about 1850fps from a 30-06 at 100 yds so impact would be in the 1750s somewhere likely?

I do not think the gas checks are coming off in the air though, that would not be good for stability. I seem to find them in the clay berm with the boolit buried further into the berm indicating that the check stayed in place until severe impact abrasion dislodged it.

I consider that ideal. My targets agree.

tomme boy
10-25-2013, 05:58 PM
If the Hornady checks are coming off, you have a problem in the crimping of them. I have shot mine into dirt and water and the Hornady have never come off.

bhn22
10-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Some bullets have a tapered gas check steps, and some are straight. The tapered ones often have trouble keeping checks on. Also, there are crimp on style gas checks, and non-crimp on styles. Performance is the key, once a gas check leaves the bore, it's job is over, and it's expendable. I've used a lot of the old style Lyman gas checks, which are non-crimp on, and noticed no difference in accuracy between them and Hornadys. This post is almost certain to stimulate a lot of debate. Where's my flameproof suit again?

Bullshop Junior
10-25-2013, 06:36 PM
If you are really worried about it and want them to stay on better, you could mill just a tiny amount out of the base of the mould so that the checks fit a little tighter b

dmclark523
10-25-2013, 06:43 PM
BHN22: Thanks for the info, I did not realize that was a thing. I'm still kinda new to this concept.

Like shredder said, a quick search of my berm revealed a handful of gas checks that have obviously come off the boolit. I suppose
that means they are staying on in flight, only to leave once they make contact with dirt/rocks/ect?

And good point Bullshop. It's always nice to know a machinist!

338RemUltraMag
10-25-2013, 08:34 PM
BHN22: Thanks for the info, I did not realize that was a thing. I'm still kinda new to this concept.

Like shredder said, a quick search of my berm revealed a handful of gas checks that have obviously come off the boolit. I suppose
that means they are staying on in flight, only to leave once they make contact with dirt/rocks/ect?

And good point Bullshop. It's always nice to know a machinist!

If you are getting good groups and no leading as said and you are finding the checks in the berm that means they are making tye entire flight. The boolit is going from 1,200 miles per hour to dead stop in 4" of bank, a pretty violent stop IMO.

arjacobson
10-25-2013, 09:55 PM
I have had good luck with 30 cal (ALUMINUM) checks staying on. My 35 caliber checks stay on nice if you seat the checks before sizing them. The 44's worked just fine but I sold all my 44 stuff. the 22's?? are very hit and miss(no pun intended) I have made and sold about 200k aluminum checks. Some guys love them...some guys hate them....

waksupi
10-26-2013, 12:31 AM
If they group, I could care less if they all make the trip.

For the pistol boolits, I would get non- gas checked molds, and forget the problem all together.

shredder
10-26-2013, 10:22 AM
If they group, I could care less if they all make the trip.

Quite so.