PDA

View Full Version : Beeswax

beppe
10-25-2013, 03:35 AM
hello to everyone! I want to try to do my pan lube, I ask you this: beeswax there hard? I have found only soft.soft as cream shoes.thanks for you help:p

fryboy
10-25-2013, 05:35 AM
i have to admit that beeswax can vary by country but usually it's fairly hard ( more so when it's cold and conversely less so when it's hot outside ) if it's pure beeswax it should be fairly solid at room temperature yet flexible , it looses this flexibility as the temperature declines , should be close to as hard as a candle yet with more flex
and if it is pure beeswax AND softer one would need less oil/grease/etc in it to make it softer , a lil bit of paraffin can firm it up a bit but also tends to add to the "smokey-ness" of the finished product , carnuba wax will also firm it up but too much tends to add more brittleness than paraffin

beppe
10-25-2013, 05:45 AM
I have to find man who produces honey, he's pure beeswax, that's tough, I live in the countryside, well maybe if I look I find him.

beppe
10-25-2013, 07:13 AM
I have many candles at home, I can use them to make the pan lube? I also add alox and vaseline and something I have not yet decided.Can I use candle wax instead of beeswax.

randyrat
10-25-2013, 07:15 AM
I may have to take swim lesson:-P Wish you were closer

beppe
10-25-2013, 07:29 AM
now use lyman 4500 and lee lube-sizer kit, but I'd try the pan lube...

Wayne Smith
10-25-2013, 07:47 AM
I have to find man who produces honey, he's pure beeswax, that's tough, I live in the countryside, well maybe if I look I find him.

Beppe, do you have local farmer's cooperatives in Italy? Around here the local beekeepers sell their product at the local Southern States, the farmer's cooperative. The cooperative has all their contact information.

Full Mold Jack
10-25-2013, 07:53 AM

Try looking on the internet for a bee man. I found my beeswax on ebay, yes it is hard like a candle wax.

beppe
10-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Wayne Smith, you are beekeepers in my part, I have to look for them, I believe they can give me pure beeswax.

fryboy
10-25-2013, 04:44 PM
amigo , candles come made from many many different waxes , some even beeswax or beeswax blend , from my understanding the catholic church requires at least 50 % beeswax candles as any more than that tends to soot up the saints and ceilings ( making it dingy ,grey and hard to clean up artwork that can often be hundreds of years old ) the other 50% usually is paraffin ( and is what makes it smokey ) , this makes a great saeco green lube !! of note they may have a higher beeswax percentage or they may not ,
the home candles are often paraffin with modifiers or perhaps in a container one may find soy wax , both soy and paraffin come in several grades , neither by themselfs are ideal but ... can be used , the additives you'd have to add depend upon what the candles end up being made of , in short lanolin adds softness,flex and tack and perhaps a wee bit of lube properties , adding a harder wax ( such as carnuba or candilla ) will help blend a soft product a little bit harder , various oils and greases will add softness and lubing properties
darr lube uses all paraffin wax , it's not the best as is for pan lubing but can be modified to work for lower demand applications
saeco green uses 50/50% beeswax and paraffin along with a dash of oil or oil modifier , it's a bit better than darrs in my humble opinion , this also stretches your beeswax by double and is easy enough if you can get candle stubs from above mentioned catholic churches ;)

look for raw honey at farmers markets/plazas or health food stores , many who sell it to or at these places either knows the bee keepers or may be the bee keeper
my google fu isnt too ummm good especially in italian but i did find a link and another with a bunc of other options

Via San G. Woods, 26 / C
24010 Sorisole (BG) IT
Petosino

http://www.quartiitaly.it/azienda.php

and this is one with links to several others

http://www.europages.co.uk/business-directory-europe/did-prodanim01/hc-02540H/cc-ITA/Italy/Beeswax.html

Lead Fred
10-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Wait a minute, where is the bee's wax guy from this forum. He sells by far the best bee's wax Ive gotten to date.
The local stuff is always a poorer grade

jmort
10-25-2013, 06:53 PM
Randy Rat in Vendor forum. Good guy good product good price. All around good.

beppe
10-26-2013, 03:07 AM
Freboy thanks! you gave me a good explanation, I will try de man, bees, I also found out abey uk, but costs too much shipment.