PDA

View Full Version : question for you iowa hunters

tommag
10-25-2013, 02:30 AM
I drew for the late muzzleloader hunt.

Looking over the regs, it looks like I can use my contender during this season. I'm hunting with a friend who has a farm here. He hasn't the inclination or time to practice. I've got one muzzleloader dialed in, somewhat. The other one needs some development. I would prefer we both use smokepoles, but making a profit gets in the way.
I can hit about as well with my .357 max @100 yds as with the hawken.
If I can't get the other ml dialed in, am I correct in assuming that I can use a pistol during the late ml hunt?

I'm a non-resident.

tomme boy
10-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Yes you are right. It has to be a straight walled cartridge and .357 cal. or bigger. There is an actual list for the cartridges you are able to use. And a min. of 4" barrel. You can download the Regs on the Ia DNR site.

Brett Ross
10-25-2013, 04:30 PM
I assume you are talking the late antlerless season. If so it appears you can use a pistol. I looked on-line and the Regs don’t distinguish between a resident and non-resident. The Iowa Reg’s, in my opinion are written to write citations, as they are less than clear. I would invest in a call to be safe (515-281-5918).
Tony

tomme boy
10-25-2013, 05:54 PM
No, he is referring to the late muzzleloader season. Here is the web page for the regs.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/huntingregs.pdf

They are petty easy to understand. If not, Give a call into the local DNR officer in the county you are going to hunt.

tommag
10-26-2013, 01:06 AM
I've downloaded the pamphlet, pita to read on a smart phone. I was in Iowa and picked up the paper version, much better. I was under the impression that since I drew for the muzzleloader season, I would need to use a muzzleloader.
The chart that gives legal methods of take has x's for that season in the columns for archery, muzzleloader, and handgun.
It seems odd, but I guess I figured it out.