PDA

View Full Version : brand new member, brand new caster, lee 6c finnin' to drive me nuts

flyin bryan
10-24-2013, 11:42 PM
haha, get it? finnin to drive me,,,,,,,,,,o nevermind.

hello. im bryan. been reloading almost 40 years, and casting about 40 minutes. I bought the lee 6 cavity mold 452-228 for making 228g rn boolits. all went well for the first 400ish, then I started getting some unintended aerobatic attachments on the farthest out cavity, then the one next to that joined in, and it seems to be contagious because now 3 out of the 6 are finning. after much reading I carefully inspected the contact faces for spatters/foreign objects, only to find nada.

what it now appears to be is the alignment pins are backing out,,,,, or at the very least becoming slightliy aroused. the more I have used them, the worse it has gotten,,,, to the point now that I can actually close the mold all the way, and rock the mold halves on the too-tall alignment devices.

I went through all the smoking business they talk about, sooting the cavities and such, and used the suggested lubricant in all the suggested places, so I guess I just got a dud..... I bought the mold new, but got it off ebay and it took forever to receive it so I think I will just contact lee and see if I can just send it directly to them.

I think I will just box it up, and send it to lee with a kindly written letter explaining my position as a new caster, and my findings... (no sarcasm here, I have always been very pleased with lee products, from their presses and dies, and even have found great enjoyment in the literature of mr lee, and I will express my appreciation for the many years of service my lee equipment has provided, and that I expect everyone is entitled a dud from time to time) im not an abrasive fellow and I spect they will make good. im also a fairly patient type, and would prefer not to try to fix it myself because I know very little about this craft at this time.

anyhows, the few hundred I did get before its demise are absolutely beautiful. probably enough to keep me busy loading till the mold issue has been taken care of.

that's my story

Love Life
10-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Yep, I'd send it to Lee. Failing that, a slower pour may help with your finning issues. Ask me how I know...

nhrifle
10-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Lee will no doubt take care of that, but it is an easy fix at home. Just tap the pin back into place and peen some metal over to lock the pin in place. Been there, done that.

And welcome to the addiction!

flyin bryan
10-25-2013, 12:01 AM
that makes sense. I guess it gets more set time before the cavity gets up into its heavier levels. I probably will slow the flow a bit (using the lee pro4-20) when I get my replacement molds. till then I will be doing considerable reading here. im thankful that the search thingy here actually works very well. I sometimes struggle with search features on other sites, but this one is great and I think a very high percentage of members here know what they are talking about (lack of bickering and prolonged namecalling threads is nice)

Love Life
10-25-2013, 12:02 AM
nhrifle posted the correct fix. M fix is the "I really don't want to fool with this mould" fix.

flyin bryan
10-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Lee will no doubt take care of that, but it is an easy fix at home. Just tap the pin back into place and peen some metal over to lock the pin in place. Been there, done that.

And welcome to the addiction!
you know I thought about doing that and then staking them in, but im old and have trouble getting around so I figure i'll just sendem back (plus I love getting toys in the mail :)

MT Gianni
10-25-2013, 12:08 AM
I would set it aside when they replace it and learn on a two cavity. It is easier to see the what's and why's.

flyin bryan
10-25-2013, 12:39 AM
you know what I just did? I just fixed it per the instructions above. I held them up to a light bulb and easily saw light between the halves, then I whacked it with a brass pin punch mallet, and poof!! no more light. I checked for lateral movement when closed to ensure I didn't whack it too hard and all looks good. can someone elaborate on the peening process? im hesitant to start displacing metal on the mold face itself for fear of rolling material downwards, only to have is bulge adjacent to any depression I might force into the face. how do I go about peening the pins into the 6 cavity mold?

nhrifle
10-25-2013, 01:05 AM
Just take a small flat ended punch and place it on the inner mould face, close to the pin. With the punch angled to strike in the direction of the pin, give it a few gentle taps with a hammer. Gentle. The punch will dig into the mould face lightly, and displace the metal to tightly surround the pin, locking it in place. Doesn't take much effort and not more than a few minutes. You may have to file the area that was peened so there isn't any raised metal that prevents the halves from closing properly.

Lee also has instructions for this in their Q&A section in case my description didn't make sense.

flyin bryan
10-25-2013, 01:19 AM
it makes perfect sense. thanks for your help.

Walter Laich
10-25-2013, 12:27 PM
FWIW: If the 6-cav mold is free of these little 'irritations' you can learn quite well on it.
One thing that keeps you from buying new sprue handles is start out by casting just one cavity, then add another and so on till you are casting all 6. This allows the mold to heat up and doesn't put excess strain on the handle which is known to break if too much pressure is applied
walt