PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for a Sharps

KCSO
11-06-2007, 10:05 PM
There have been several threads lately about the quality or lack there of of different Sharps replicas so I thought I would pass on my shopping tips for a Sharps replica. Feel free to castigate me roundly, this is just my opinion based on 20 years of using and repairing these rifles.

First look at the breech block and the firing pin system. If the gun has a swinging safety on the firing pin you may be looking at trouble. About 1 out of 3 of these either won't fire at all or need some work to fire reliably. Look at the size of the firing pin. The cheapest guns have a two piece firing pin swedged together and they come loose and mis- fire after a hundred shots or so.

Here I must digress, if you can't lower the breech block and slip out the takedown lever or if the gun has a coil spring and ball bearing holding the lever in this gun is a pass. You have to routinely take the block out to clean the gun and you don't want small parts everywhere when you do this.

A large firing pin and large hole is authentic, but also is more suited for low pressure loads. The back of the firing pin should have a dovetailed plate rather than a loose circular disk or just a bare firing pin. Yes, the first Sharps rifles had no gas deflector, but the best ones did and do today. I prefer the smaller bushed firing pin, but for black powder only I can live with the larger pin.

Check the chamber and before you buy a used gun or any of the less expensive copies slip a 45-90 case into the chamber. If the gun is marked 45-70 and a 45-90 slips in, the chamber is cut oversize and the gun will need work to be a shooter. It can be done, but it will cost you. I have rechambered a bunch of IAB's to 45-90 and 45-100 just to make them shoot as in some of them you can't seat a 45-70 bullet out far enough to get any accuracy.

Try the triggers and make sure they are smooth and easy to set if they are doubles. A good rifle should not have over a 5 pound pull from the box and you should be able to cock the hammers easily.

Check the screws for burring, if the gun is from soft steel sometimes the screws will show burring or deformation. If the gun says Taylor's or IAB you can figure that it is a black powder rifle only as they are softer than the others.

Check the sights, if they are the modern flip up sights like a Handi Rifle you are looking at a cheapie. If the sights are right are they loose and do the adjustmant slides work. If the gun has peeps and they are the tilt ladder type they are only good for parts for making a working sight and are NO extra cost item. If you want the gun for serious shooting buy it san's peep sights if you can and they get a set of QUALITY sights when yo can afford them. You will only frustrate yourself trying to shoot a match with cheap sights.

Now to put the fat in the fire...
Anything from the custom makers will be a high quality gun, and a lot of the less expensive copies will make up into a good informal target and hunting gun. If you can't afford a C Sharps Arms then here are my picks in decending order IMHO.
Pedersoli/Navy Arms, Cimarron/Pedersoli, Armi Sport, EMF (because of their repair policy), Taylors, and last up would be the IAB. The extra money you spend on the better rifles is more than made up for in what it will cost you to make a cheapie into a shooter.

Now before the irate IAB lovers strike, yes with work they can be made to shoot and shoot well. If you can re-harden the lock and triggers, recut sear notches, polish springs and re-cut the chambers or find or make a proper shell casing and are willing to do the work, go to it.

John F.
11-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Out of curiosity, have you ever run into any of the Wells Sharps? These were custom, hand-built Sharps made by a 2-man shop (Wells Gun Shop) in Waynesboro, MS a few years ago. I understand they only made a little over 30
of them as labor became too costly, but they were completely handmade, fit and finished.

John

KCSO
11-07-2007, 10:25 AM
No, I have shot Shiloh, C Sharps, and all of the Eytie repro's but have never come across the Wells. I did get to shoot a mint bore Sharps 50-70 carbine for a full 40 round match one time and that wears on you some.

Hip's Ax
11-07-2007, 11:04 AM
No mention of Axtell?

I was going to buy a Sharps for BP Target Rifle matches but my mentor steered me toward a CPA Steven's 44 1/2.

I adore my CPA but I still love the way the Sharps look!

I think I would have gone Axtell.

Maybe not! I just checked the prices! :shock:

Boz330
11-07-2007, 02:59 PM
No mention of Axtell?

I was going to buy a Sharps for BP Target Rifle matches but my mentor steered me toward a CPA Steven's 44 1/2.

I adore my CPA but I still love the way the Sharps look!

I think I would have gone Axtell.

Maybe not! I just checked the prices! :shock:

Roger that last line!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The CPAs are pretty rifles.:drinks:

Bob

waksupi
11-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Roger that last line!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The CPAs are pretty rifles.:drinks:

Bob

Carmen does put out nice rifles, and she is a fair to middlin' shooter!