PDA

View Full Version : Info on glenfield 30

robroy
10-24-2013, 09:33 PM
I've had this about a year and am just getting around to shooting it now. Other than the birch stock what's the difference between the glenfiels 30A and a 336A?

azrednek
10-24-2013, 11:47 PM
I'm told but can't vouch for it personally. Some not all of the 30A's do not have the Micro-groove rifling. My 30A does have the Micro-groove but according to what I was told by a gun shop sales person some of the 30A's had conventional rifling. The only differences I saw when I purchased my 30A new in the box in 1971 or 72. A birch stock, blue instead of gold trigger, and the tiny white bird's eye décor on the 336's buttstock. The 336's at the time had a deeper more polished bluing. I believe but could be wrong the 336 had a front sight hood. I may have mixed the sight hood up with a later model.

My 30A was my very first hi-power rifle purchase. My then wife worked at what we then called "discount store". She got a 10% employee discount. Her co-worker friend marked the invoice "scratch and dent display model" even though it was new in the box and knocked 5 bucks off. My wife was out the door along with the Glenfield marked scope that was included in the advertised sale for about 73 bucks. The 336 the 30A sat next to on the display case was 119 and change and didn't include a scope.

I still have the rifle. The cheezy scope didn't last a year. A ride down a bumpy dirt road with the 30A in my pick-up's rear window rifle rack caused the reticles to collapse.

FergusonTO35
10-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Are you referring to the 30 or 30A? I have an early 30 with half mag tube and tenon forend. It's consistently the most accurate rifle I own and I would not trade it for any other.

azrednek
10-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Mine is a 30A. I never knew there was simply a 30.

robroy
10-25-2013, 07:01 PM
I bought the gun a year or so ago and hadn't fired it till today. 2" groups at 100yds with factory ammo ain't too shabby for a low dollar gun. Now I need it to that well with the RD 311-165. I got lotsa 3031 and a few others that are in RD's load notes so I'm ready to play. Hope to get there before Thanksgiving so I can hunt deer with it

azrednek
10-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Been 25+ years since I hand loaded 30/30. IMR 3031 and Winchester 748 gave me the best shot to shot accuracy. Slower burning powders, IMR 4350 in particular opened up shot groups. It was before I began casting all my 30/30 loads were with jacketed. I assume the accuracy results should be the same with cast but your mileage may vary. Friend of mine shoots reduced cast loads in his Winchester 30/30 using 2400. I have no idea of the powder charge but know he is using a Lee 150gr FN. Been about 5 years since I shot his rifle but it was comfortable shooting and we were rolling tin cans up to about 50 yards.

wrench man
10-26-2013, 01:55 AM
I got a 30A about two years ago now?, got a good deal on it, think it was because it had a MAXIMUM! dimension chamber with chatter marks that made impressions in the brass that looked like you tried to polish the case on the bench grinder!!, I sent it to JES and had him punch it out to 356 Winchester.
The "fit" is generally on par with the 336's, the finish is what I would call "field grade"?, and maybe different sights and the birch stocks, they're better than them Remlins" that they're sending out the door these days!

FergusonTO35
10-27-2013, 10:44 AM
The econo-336's have always had the same parts fit and quality of the others, just with less fancy wood and blue. The cheaper Winchester 94's have often been sorely lacking in that area. I wil say that the few Remlin 336W's I have examined did have good fit and finish but the barrels were canted a bit to the left.