PDA

View Full Version : Sticky opening with a NOE 255 45 cal mold with HP pins

Leadmelter
10-24-2013, 07:55 PM
I have had this mold for a few months, cleaned it up as per instructions, and baked it 3-4 times.
Everything started well and then the mold started to stick on opening. It took a few wacks two get it to come loose and then one pin would not release the bullet to the point I needed pliers to pull it off.
Go frustrated and quit.
Need help.
I looked at the alignment pins and it's mate looks fine. I will try again and put some mold lube on the pins.
Any other ideas??
This is my third HP mold and never had this problems before.
Leadmelter
MI

tomme boy
10-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Is the mold up to temp? One of my Mihec molds does the same thing till it is up to temp.

SwedeNelson
10-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Leadmelter

Check the bushing for a very small bur on the inside of the bevel
Use a case chamfer tool or a rolled up piece of fine sand paper to
clean it off. Have had this happen on other moulds

Bullets sticking on the HP pins is usually a heat problem

I hope this helps
Swede Nelson

Beagle333
10-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Check the bottom of it too, if it's an RG mold. I had one that the steel holders for the pins was rubbing the bottom of the blocks and making a sticky opening. (The side with the pins was hanging up on the bottom of the block without the pins)
I applied a little sandpaper relief-work on the top of the metal holders (thinned em down ever-so-slightly) and she practically opens on her own now.:-D

A very thin brass shim/washer between the block and the pin holders would have worked to give the needed space also.... but I went with the relief work.

The sprue lube will help on the pins too. I keep an lube-dampened Qtip handy and wipe the tips of the pins with it, about every 40-50 pours. Once you get enough heat on the pins, it'll go farther between needing any lube at all.

SwedeNelson
10-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Leadmelter, Beagle333

The RG brackets can be bent down a very small amount to get clearance also
I try to do it in the shop on assembly so its not a problem
You can also adjust the pins depth a little the same way

Swede Nelson

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-25-2013, 08:04 AM
The RG brackets can be bent down a very small amount to get clearance also
You can also adjust the pins depth a little the same way
Swede Nelson

Dang, such a simple solution. I have on RG mold where the pin (for a solid) sits a little high for my taste...Next time I cast with it, I'll try adjusting the brackets.
Thanks,
Jon

Beagle333
10-25-2013, 10:17 AM

Just for the record, the one that I had to adjust was bought used, I have never had to do it to one ordered directly from NOE. Good luck, Leadmelter!

hanleyfan
10-25-2013, 12:11 PM
I have had 3 hollow point molds from NOE and they all worked, Now the one I just got I have had nothing but problems with the boolits releasing from the pins, I tried casting low heat, medium heat and high heat on both mold and lead temperature, this was after doing all the recommended prep work on the mold. After 6 hours of frustrations I took the mold pins out of the mold and checked them and low and behold the problem I have found is that all 4 pins had a small bur on the end of the pin. You could feel them if you ran your finger over the end of the pin, I polished them off and put them back together and low and behold the problem was solved.

captaint
10-25-2013, 01:55 PM
I am in the habit of polishing all my pins in hollow point molds. Get them hot enough and they will release the boolit. Mike