PDA

View Full Version : Scored Big !

W.R.Buchanan
10-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Scored Big today, got a Beeman R1 in .22 cal. in perfect shape.

Been eyeballing this one for some time and first met the guy at a gun show earlier this year. He still had the gun when the money from scrapping 900lbs of aluminum hit my wallet.

I am pretty pumped right now. Had to share this with the crowd.

Off to the garage.

Randy

AlaskanGuy
10-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Wow... Nice Randy.... Prolly wont hear from ya for at least a week now.... Daddy got a new toy...:groner:

HARRYMPOPE
10-24-2013, 11:39 PM
There was one floating around the pacific nw shows the last few month's.I wonder if it migrated south.

fiberoptik
10-25-2013, 12:49 AM
Kalifornia has cancelled all lead bullets, including pellets, due to lead poisoning to targets. therefore your only recourse is to ship it to me here in Mi. For proper disposal!

W.R.Buchanan
10-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Oh yee of little faith. The lead pellets will be used, since nobody is watching.

I ordered a scope mount from Pyramid Air yesterday so I can mount my Bug Buster 3-9X Scope on the gun.

Re-sighted the iron sights on the gun to 10 yards last night.

This thing shoots hard! And in case you haven't seen one in person they are big guns! Like African DG rifle big. The gun weighs 9lbs 3 oz. with just the iron sights. It will be 10.5lbs easily with the scope.

I need to run some of the different pellets over the Chrony and see what exactly is happening, and figure out what distance to sight it in at and what the trajectory is going to be with the three different pellets.

This gun definitely adds some power to the air powered section of my arsenal, and there is a local Raccoon who's days are numbered. (I am installing a motion sensor light in the front yard today to find out what time he is showing up to dig up my lawns.)

The final pic is of the penetration test. the hole in the right is one of the new 21.4 gr Barracuda pellet form the HW77. That pellet is buried into the 40 year old 2x4 .170 deep to the rear of the skirt. The hole on the left is from the R1,,, same pellet and it is .230 deep! That's 25% greater penetration in dry and 40 year seasoned Douglas Fir, than my other gun.

WOW! it's lethal! And will be completely ethical on game up to raccoon sized animals out to 50 yards.

Not bad for $450 huh? [smilie=w:

Randy

bginvestor
10-31-2013, 10:55 AM
Very nice

grizzlyadams
10-31-2013, 11:53 AM
great gun there. the stock looks like it has some nice character

Silverboolit
11-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Nice find..Be sure to put a scope stop on it, the recoil will slide your scope right off the rails. If it is an older model, be sure to check the mainspring. Mine had a definite bend in it and had to be replaced. Have fun with your new magnum!!

W.R.Buchanan
11-01-2013, 01:46 PM
SB: this one just had the spring replaced along with a Delrin Spring guide. it shoots hard!

I have known about these guns since they came out in the 80's. I bought a HW77 instead of getting an R1. The reason why is the specs on all of these guns are all over the place, and the difference between the R1 and The HW77 was supposedly not that much, and I thought the HW77 looked cooler. I am here to tell you there is a significant difference! In my cursory Penetration Test, I shot both guns with the same pellet into a 40 year old 2x4. The R1 outdid the HW77 by 25%! The R1 did 3/4" penetration into a dry phone book at 50 yards!

As soon as I can shoot these guns over the Chrony I will report back on how much that difference actually is by the numbers, and I will tell you exactly what each different style and weight of pellet did. The problem with all the published velocity specs is you don't know which pellet they used and most times they probably used super light weight pellets so the gun would look good in the specs. This does nothing for you in the real world. Also the lighter the pellets are the less spread there will be between the different guns.

Don't get me wrong, the HW77 is a great gun but it ain't an R1. I can only imagine what one of the Gas Piston guns shoots like.

One other tidbit. The wood on this R1 is far superior to the wood on the HW77, and the paperwork that came with the gun indicated that it was a premium select gun sold originally by the Beeman company. I am pretty sure that, my HW77 was a Beeman Reject since the Beeman rollmark on the receiver was double stamped, and the wood is fence post grade Beech Wood. It didn't come from Beeman but form some other outfit. Mind you it doesn't look bad, it just isn't as nice as the R1.

My HW35E was also a Beeman Reject as it's rollmark was double struck as well. However it came from an era (mid 70's) when Weihrauch was making all of it's guns to the same standard. At that time Beeman himself went to Germany and hand selected all the guns that he sold. Now Pyramid Air handles all the Beeman Line of guns.

My Scope mount just arrived so I'm off to the garage to mount it.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
11-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Got my Scope mounted last night I used a one piece mount from Pyramid Air which cost all of $35. I have no idea why a mount like this for an AR should be $250?

I mounted my 1.25 x4 Leapers Scope with a fine illuminated Mil Dot Reticle. Most people would think a $80 Chinese Scope would be a complete ***, however this one has already lived thru over 1000 rounds on the Mini 14, it has never shifted zero, the optics are very good ,,, And it is an "Air Gun" Scope.

Airgun scopes have to be made to take the odd recoil impulse of a Spring Piston Air Rifle where there is a slow push to the rear followed by a snap back forward when the piston hits the front of the Compression Chamber.

Still I ended up torqueing the screws on both the rings and the mount to the dovetail to about 60 inlbs. At 35 ip the scope was both walking in the rings and the mount on the dovetail. I had the good sense to put witness marks on the scope and the mount to monitor if it was stuck down. It wasn't, and I had to reposition it before I re-torqued the screws. 35 ip is about as far as I normally go on Rings on a High Power Rifle. This gun is a little different and required more.

I had something happen to me on this installation that has never happened to me before. I installed the scope, torqued the screws, and then shot the gun. Very first shot, right thru the Bullseye! Dead Center!

2 subsequent shots revealed that I was in fact about 1/4" to the left and a minor correction put it dead on. IE; 4 shots total for the sight in on this gun..

Needless to say the installation of the optic did wonders for the accuracy of the gun. I still have to shoot the gun at 50 yards and check zero for that distance. The reticle in the scope is of the Mil Dot type so I will have numerous aim points for shooting at distances inside of 50yds if they are needed.

On my other guns, dead on at 10 yards was dead on again at 40 yards. I think the R1 will stretch this to 50 yards.

All three types of pellets shoot right to the same point of aim at 10 yards. I will see if that holds true at longer distances.

Here's pics of the gun now.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
11-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Another day in the ongoing and further amazement of the Beeman R1.

Today I shot .22 Rimfire silhouette at my local gun club. I shot a mediocre 20 and 23 for two rounds.

Then got out the R1,,, NO problem knocking over chickens at 40M no problem knocking down Pigs at 50M and the gun is dead on at 10M and again at 50 M

It took three shots to hit a turkey at 75 yards and it got hit it in the tail and spun, then fell. I held 1.5 mil high on the 75 yd. target for the hit. Ran out of time as this was after the shoot and people wanted to pick up and go home, but it proved my point as all of the multiple hits came in succession. Ping, ping ,ping, etc. This one is definitely a keeper.

Since the sun was directly behind me I could easily see the path of the pellets and one shot at one pig yawed about 6" to the right as it flew away from a gust of wind. It was pretty cool to watch since in most cases it is pretty hard to see a bullet trace normally. The slow speed and the sun in the rear made these stand out nicely.

There are several guys in my club who own good quality Air Guns, and sometimes they actually have scheduled air gun shoots. Will be paying closer attention to that part of the club now.

That's all I've got for now.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
12-08-2013, 08:16 PM
I had problems with the old mount for the scope not being able to hold onto the gun and moving about .005 with every shot. Returned that mount a week ago and got the $14.95 mount that had a 5 star rating over 100 reviews. It has a stop on it that goes into one of the holes in the receiver and it can't move. The returned mount was $40. go figure.

Just got thru sighting in again and it looks like it will work well. I got two in case I want to put a scope on the HW35. At $14.95 each they are very well made. I wonder if the Chinese are working for free and their materials, and machinery are free as well? I couldn't make these mounts for anything close to 5x what they get for these.

I guess they have it different over there. I doubt it will continue for much longer, sooner or later they will wise up.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
07-04-2014, 07:38 PM
Well an update on this gun,,, I spoke too soon about my Leapers Scope. I lasted less than 100 rounds on the R1 and now the reticle has rotated about 20 degrees. funny how it did 5 years on a Mini 14 and well over 1000 rounds and then cacks in 100 on this gun.

Anyway I got a Leupold VX 1 1-4 X Muzzleloader Scope with heavy duplex reticle to replace it. It was $219 from Optics Planet with free shipping.

Before I bought this scope I made sure to call Leupold direct and make sure this scope would live on this gun. I was told ALL Leupold Scopes are "Airgun Rated" and the internal design has specific features to cope with the bidirectional recoil.

I don't feel $220 was a lot to pay for a decent optic for this gun. The gun so far has been exceptional and is definitely a keeper.

Will be sending the Leapers scope back for repair soon. It took a while to actually get ahold of someone there, but he was very eager to please, so we will see how it works out. I really liked this optic, it was bright and clear and both the green and red illumination were just bright enough to see in bright sunlight and not obnoxious in the dark. It just couldn't cope with being beaten by this gun. I'm sure I can find something else to put it on.

Randy

Larry Gibson
07-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Randy

Excellent information in your posts. Appreciated the detailed info. You're going through the same trials and tribulations with hard recoiling springers that I did keeping a scope in place and functional. I finally went to a Leupold scope on my RWS M54 and haven't had any problems since.

Have you chronographed any pellets yet?

Larry Gibson

W.R.Buchanan
07-06-2014, 10:48 PM
I mounted the Scope yesterday and sighted it in at 10 yds. with the Heavy Pellets. H&N Barakuda's. The only thing I don't like about it is that the heavy Duplex Reticle is in fact heavy! At 10 yds shooting at playing cards the Reticle almost covers the individual spots on the cards, I am afraid that it might be a little too big for hunting vermin in he yard.

Sooner or later a Mockingbird will show up and I'll find out immediately if it works. The only other choice they offer in that scope is the Turkey-Plex reticle which has finer cross hairs and a circle around the center. I didn't really like this, so I went with the other style. Shame because the Mildot crosshairs on that Leapers scope were perfect, with the illumination turned on you could shoot in very dark conditions. The illuminated version of this scope is @ $479.00! as opposed to $79.00 for the Leapers.

Probably have to attach a light to this gun now for night ops in the yard.

You will notice in the close up pic of the scope and mount that there is a little mark just behind the rear ring. This is a "Witness Mark," put there with a Sharpie to tell if the scope is moving. There is one in front of the front ring as well. Of all eh guns I own this one is the most likely to move the scope in it's mounts, and they are pretty tight.

The big target and primary Varmint that haunts us is a large Female Raccoon. I know the R1 would deal her a fatal blow but the problem has always been getting a shot. I have actually seen her in person once in 4 years! You can damn sure tell when she's been thru the place as she is just about as bad as pigs are when it comes to digging up the yards.

Never know I may get lucky some day as long as she doesn't end up squished on the Highway first. Much more sporting to shoot the damn thing.

Haven't set up the Chrony for it yet, but that sounds like a fun evening project.

I haven't accomplished Squat in the last week as it has been brutally hot here.

Randy