PDA

View Full Version : It's fall in oklahoma!

Fly
10-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Fall means I take my Crocket Squirrel hunting in my woods & if I,m lucky Momma
makes some Squirrel GUMBO!;)

Fly

Wilkie
10-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Fall means I take my Crocket Squirrel hunting in my woods & if I,m lucky Momma
makes some Squirrel GUMBO!;)

Fly
So....how many squirrels does it take to make a gumbo?

w5pv
10-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Not many if you put them in a mesh bag and when you get the reoux and water boiling as soon as the mix is favored pull them up and let drain and then put them in the freezer for next time.This way a couple or three squirrels will go a long way.

Wilkie
10-24-2013, 07:02 PM
The squirrels in OK must be a lot bigger than here in Utah. One shot from a ML out here and there wouldn't be much left to eat.

felix
10-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Too bad you don't live around here. I had about 30 or so of the Fox variety on the ground permanently awaiting for buzzards and/or feral cats which are common here. These animals enjoyed such produce so much, because there is no smelly decomposition remaining anywhere around. ... felix

starmac
10-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Too bad you don't live around here. I had about 30 or so of the Fox variety on the ground permanently awaiting for buzzards and/or feral cats which are common here. These animals enjoyed such produce so much, because there is no smelly decomposition remaining anywhere around. ... felix

It is my understanding here that if we kill them we have to salvage either the meat or the hide, since the ones we have are good for neither, most either don't kill them or use the 3 s method. lol

KyBill
10-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Sounds like My brothers Green Beans. Cooks them with whole tree rats ,pulls them out to feed his squirrel dog & eats the Green beans & they are good !

Fly
10-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Yea, I remember when people said the same about crawfish.Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (SMILE)

Fly

GunSlingerNM
10-24-2013, 11:59 PM
I have not had squirrel in over thirty years since I moved to New Mexico. Eating ground critters can be dangerous due to fleas and the plague. Do miss it.

starmac
10-25-2013, 12:23 AM
I never shot one, but there are some big tree rats in the gila.

Boz330
10-25-2013, 08:23 AM
The squirrels in OK must be a lot bigger than here in Utah. One shot from a ML out here and there wouldn't be much left to eat.
If the sguirrels in Utah are anything like the ones in MT they are like chewing on a pine cone. Shot one for camp meat while elk hunting there in 87' and it was a good thing we had other food since it didn't taste very good.

Bob

Fly
10-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Ha,Ha, Bob it's like anything, it's how you cook them.Beleave me I have made squirrel & rabbit
gumbo for guest at the house & never told them what was in it, & they could not eat enough.

Fly

Boz330
10-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Ha,Ha, Bob it's like anything, it's how you cook them.Beleave me I have made squirrel & rabbit
gumbo for guest at the house & never told them what was in it, & they could not eat enough.

Fly

Trust me those pine squirrels are not edible unless you have NOTHING else to eat. Ask Waksupi.

Bob

Fly
10-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Well I guess, never ate a pine squirrel, just reds & grays.

Fly

abqcaster
10-25-2013, 02:17 PM
GunslingerNM, you can eat the squirrels, and other small game here, especially from the mountains (they're pinon fed there). You just gotta hunt in the winter when the sick ones die off. I recommend a lot of red chile to go with the all the sage they tend to season themselves with. ;)

KyBill
10-25-2013, 08:14 PM
squirrels in KY . Hunt the rat tails, they are the young ones before their tails FLUFF up. and it helps building 12 inch by 12 inch platforms half way up the tall trees so they can rest ! it keeps their legs Tender. KyBill