PDA

View Full Version : Accurizing Mosin Nagant sporters

texassako
10-24-2013, 02:04 PM
I have seen several here and thought some might want to see how the Finns accurized their second to last model. Here are some pics of my disassembled M28-76. The Finns have a lot of experience with the Mosin, and maybe others can get some ideas from this one.

First thing that sticks out is the Finns kept the gap behind the tang.

It is bedded under the tang and from the front of the mag well to about 1 inch out on the barrel. The rest is free floated.

Mine does not come close to touching, but it has a tab of wood glued in to apply upward pressure at the forearm tip if need be.

Trigger is not pinned to the receiver, only the spring. They converted it to a single stage trigger with a long take up past where the first stage used to be. If you look closely, you may notice this receiver is 113 years old and the slot cut for the receiver sight.

tomme boy
10-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Do you have any better pics of the trigger? Different angles, Taken apart? I have never seen one without the pin.

texassako
10-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Do you have any better pics of the trigger? Different angles, Taken apart? I have never seen one without the pin.

I think there are several versions of these triggers, and I have even seen one with a screw to take up a bunch of the slack in the trigger. If you need any other angles or some measurements, just ask.

oscarflytyer
10-24-2013, 06:58 PM
My Finn has an amazingly light single stage trigger. Basically a target trigger.

tomme boy
10-24-2013, 09:25 PM
OK, I see how they are doing it. I have never seen one of this configuration before. Everyone I have seen has two pins in the trigger for the first stage then the second pin for the second stage. I've seen ones with a coil spring to put tension on the trigger for it to return. I think there were two versions of this setup. I've never seen the sear with a hole in it before.

texassako
10-24-2013, 10:27 PM
The proof is in the pudding, or the Finns' work so to speak. Shot 8 similar 100 yard 10 shot groups with that rifle(4x scope) on the last range trip with 2 different bullets(311334 & 311335) and 3 different primers(CCI BR2, WLR, Wolf LP), same powder charge. When that happens, it usually means the rifle is better than me and my essential tremor. People should not underestimate what a well sorted Mosin will shoot.

MtGun44
10-28-2013, 02:20 AM
IMO, kinda stretching the terminology to call a Finn a "well sorted Mosin".

Throw away the barrel, throw away the stock, throw away the sights, throw away the trigger. . . . . . .

And replace all the junk with good parts. So you have a bolt and a bare action from a Mosin. I have a Finn
and a number of Mosins. The Finn is in a WHOLE different class. The Rooskie guns are mostly junk, although
I have a couple that kinda want to shoot, but their garbage stocks keep giving up on them. The
receivers on the WW2 guns that I have look like a failed 8th grade shop project.

My M39 will shoot 1" at 100 yds. Never saw a Rooskie rifle that would come anywhere near close to that.

Bill

texassako
10-28-2013, 10:13 AM
MtGun44, you are welcome to your opinion. I guess we need to tell people like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDIypxgwzXs that their Russian made rifles can't shoot. I just wanted to offer some information on what the Finns did if they are putting their rifle in an aftermarket or cut stock, and that there are options for the trigger without going to a Timney.

aspangler
10-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Don't know about yours but my 91/30 with open sights will hold 1.5 in groups all day if my old tri-focal eyes can hold up.

daengmei
10-29-2013, 12:10 AM
That trigger/sear is from an M27....http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM27.htm . Scroll down and there are pics of the trigger and sear. I searched for a couple of months and finally got a set from Finland. Most say this is the best trigger when tuned properly.