PDA

View Full Version : Luber warmer

gcollins
11-06-2007, 06:53 PM
I have loaded for 32 years, but just now stated casting my own bullets, I down loaded a lot of homemaid lubes resc., I have read that BP shooters need more lube and softer? Is this right?
So I ask this do I order a warmer, or make my own soft lube for this winter?
I will be Great Full For any advice!
Thanks
Greg

kodiak1
11-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Rule 1 if you are using Black Powder no PETROLEUM Products in the Lube at all. It will turn the residue from the powder to an asphault like substance that will make you want to commit Harry Carry. Don't see any Black Powder lubes that are haeder than just firm.
Sure you can make your own few ingredients and a double boiler and you are off to the races.
Word of Caution don't leave a mess on Mom's stove that is like a death warrant here.
Using Smokeless you can use what ever works in your gun to prevent leading.
Good luck have fun and go slow so you don't make that mess.
Ken.

montana_charlie
11-06-2007, 07:46 PM
I have read that BP shooters need more lube and softer? Is this right?
So I ask this do I order a warmer, or make my own soft lube for this winter?
The 'soft' lube preferred by BP shooters is soft all of the time. You don't need to make it softer with a 'warmer'.
If you were lubing bullets (with BP lube) in a very cold room, you might need a heat source to bring it up to normal room temperature...but if you get it warmer than that, it gets 'messy'.
CM

Ohio Rusty
11-07-2007, 12:46 AM
The only lube I use for BP is real bears oil rendered from bears fat. It lubes the patches for the round ball. It is non-petrolium and works well. Sae studd they used 200+ years ago by the way .........
For lubing conicals in percussion guns, I always used the yellow T/C wonder lube.
Ohio Rusty

Leftoverdj
11-07-2007, 01:04 AM
There was a time that I did my bullet work in an unheated garage that was well below freezing. I was using NRA formula lube, and the only heater I needed was a light bulb in a coffee can cut to snap onto my lubrisizer.

Bret4207
11-07-2007, 08:27 AM
My loading room is cold too. I have one of SWMBO old blow dryers I picked all the hair out of when it "broke". I aim it at the sizer and it warms it nicely and helps my arthritic hands.

testhop
11-07-2007, 05:23 PM
one VERYimportant thing to remember is if you try to size with to hard (ie cold)lube you stand a chanceof breaking your sizer (ask me how i know)

gcollins
11-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Right now I don't load BP, I have some, and want to next year, when it is warm and I can take my time realy cleaning my guns. Yes I am lazy, and that is why I use smokeless, plus I have a lot from years past.
I am new to this casting and sizeing and lubeing, I have several friends that cast and they have showed me a lot, and I am great full for the info from you guys!
It's funny, when I quite loading about 10 years ago, because everything got so high, you know like when primers were $10.00 per 1000, and then jumped up to $23.00, Red Dot went from $4.60 a pound to $14.00 ect. I have always paid a dime per 45 acp brass, while surfing yesterday, I seen it for $45.00 per 1000, 6 months ago when I blew the dust of the presses, ect, and got the go for the Cowboy stuff, 45LC brass was a dime, went Today to get some 45LC and they wanted $27.00 per 100!!!
Happy and safe shooting to all!!!!!

Thanks Guys
Greg