PDA

View Full Version : Powder measure for Dillon 550

meshugunner
10-24-2013, 12:51 PM
I have a 550 with the Dillon powder measure. I am not satisfied with it's performance on flake and disc powders. I spent a day polishing the Dillon powder measure, graphite, baffle etc with some but not enough improvement. Also, it would be good to have two powder measures so that I can switch powders by switching the measures without disturbing settings.

I've looked at things like the Lil Dandy. There is an adjustable rotor available. But, my powder die also bells the case and I don't see how I could make the Lil Dandy work on my press. I seat & crimp in seperate operations, so I don't have a spare station for just loading powder. I suppose I could size and prime on my single stage but that's really not where I want to go.

I could probably rig up some adapters but it seems like it would be a real kludge.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks

r1kk1
10-24-2013, 02:43 PM
The only flake I have not tried is 800x in mine. I use Unique, Blue Dot, TrailBoss, etc. with no issue. I also use a strong mount bolted to a 2" maple top. It is a very solid mount. I have 4 Dillon measures and a JDS QM but to use the JDS if I neck to expand the case I use a M-die.

Give Dillon a call. Also I run a full shellplate, it may or may not matter. I'm rarely off +\- tenth according to my digital scale FWIW, when averaging 10 drops.

Take care

r1kk1

Kraschenbirn
10-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Is yours a fairly new Dillon? The reason I ask is that you've descibed a not uncommon problem with the early Dillon measures I had much the same thing with the measure that came on my first Dillon 450 (around 1984). Both charge bars worked acceptably well with stick or ball powders but when I tried to use 700X or Unique, it just about drove me nuts. Finally got tired of messing with it and made myself some dedicated charge bars much like those used in the old MEC shotshell reloaders...each non-adjustable bar had the charge cavity bored and reamed to drop a specific charge of a specific powder. I've also found that adding a second powder baffle to the reservoir helps improve charge consistency as does keeping the powder reservoir more than 50% full when you're loading.

On the other hand, when I purchased my second Dillon - a Square Deal B set up for .38/.357 - I anticipated that I'd probably need to do the same number on the measure but was pleasantly surprised to find that, once set, that one dropped very consistent charges with all powders. When I added a second toolhead/die set for .45 ACP, I purchased a second SDB measure to simplify changeover and it worked as well as the first.

So, if yours in a newer machine, I'd suggest you contact Dillon Customer Service and see if they can help you out.

Bill

bhn22
10-24-2013, 03:16 PM
What's the issue? Does it meter inconsistently, or does it jam?

sunburn
10-24-2013, 03:17 PM
This rcbs helped a great deal:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/802477/rcbs-uniflow-powder-measure-case-activated-linkage-kit

meshugunner
10-24-2013, 04:42 PM
I bought the Dillon last year, so I suspect it's a new model. A second baffle is easy but makes changing powder a PITA. A friend said the the flakes slide into the gap and get released intermintently. I notice a fair amount of slop in the powder bar. I have been thinking of shimming it. For B. eye & win231 it's +- 0.1 gn. Not that great when dropping a 3-4gn charge but acceptable.]

My problem is inconsistency. I can produce a string of charges of 9gn Blue Dot +- .2gns which is not great but every so often it's +- .5gn. These are .357 mag and the extra .5 gn is quite noticeable when one fires. It certainly doesn't help accuracy. It also means that I have to stay well away from max and min loads.

I polished every surface I could get to, ran a few charges of graphite through it, put a dryer sheet in the hopper and made baffle out of a small plastic funnel. Before I start I throw a bunch of charges to let it settle. I have tried tapping on the side each time I charge but that doesn't make much different. I removed the linkage. The powder measure is now case activated with a rubber band return. This did help a bit. With all this, things improved from wild variations to what I described above.

I see Dillon does sell a generic powder measure adapter. It has to be used with a 450 powder die for some reason. So for $40 I can use a rotary powder measure.

As it stands, I have to stay away from flake, disc or rod powders. I only reload pistol but the slower burning powders are nice for magnums. It would be nice to have a 2nd measure for that. And in the future I do plan to reload .223

376Steyr
10-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Personally, I like to run a batch of brass through my 550 and only size, prime, and bell. Later I charge with powder and seat bullets. I think this is a "safer" process as there is less going on. You might find the Dillon measure gives better results when it isn't being effected by vibrations from the sizing and priming process.

meshugunner
10-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Yeah I was thinking about that. I already decap in a SS press for just that reason. I suppose I could just size & prime a large bunch of cases and have them ready to go. That would leave a spare station for a non Dillon powder measure. I could get a primer arm for my Redding Big Boss

I don't like setups where you have to hold your tongue just right to make it work properly. If the loads have problems, it adds another variable to worry about.

I am seriously considering shimming the powder bar with brass for a snugger fit

Kevin Rohrer
10-24-2013, 07:36 PM
If you want to try another measure, look at the Quick-Measure. It works with any powder.

David2011
10-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Meshu,

I share your aggravation with flake and disc powders- also know as "fluffy" powders to some. I think the basic issue is that will smaller charges a little variation ends up being pretty significant. In my mind it's like trying to meter corn flakes. I tried some charges with Clays even lighter than what you're talking about (powderpuff) and one would be fine; the next wouldn't cycle the gun. I chalked it up to the low density of the powder.

I've recently tried some stick powders and have been pleasantly surprised at how consistently the Dillon meters them. A buddy wanted to load .223 on my 550. I normally use Win 748 which meters like water. He uses 4320 and we were pleasantly surprised that it metered +/- 0.1 grains very consistently in the Dillon. BTW- none of my Dillon measures are less than 7 years old.

David

LUBEDUDE
10-24-2013, 08:56 PM
The only flake I have not tried is 800x in mine.
r1kk1

I ran 8 pounds of 800 X through my Dillon Measure with no problems.

Alvarez Kelly
10-24-2013, 10:02 PM
A couple things... I use the very latest Dillon powder measure mechanisms, and they work great for me. Good advice has already been given above, but it sounds like the OP has tried all the usual tricks.

1. If you think your powder bar is "loose" and a tighter one might help, maybe I can help. I have a bunch of them. PM me the specific thicknesses of the two parts (it is a small bar, right) and measure the powder bar opening on both ends of your powder measure. Maybe I can come up with something for you.

2. If you really want to try the other powder measure route, I have a slightly used adapter and an RL450 powder die. PM me if interested.

meshugunner
10-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Thank you everyone for the contributions so far. Things are getting a bit clearer. Let me explain a bit about my experience. I've been reloading for 18mos. I would rate my skill between advanced beginner and retarded intermediate. I cast .358 bullets and reload .380/9mm/.38Sp/.357mag. I did a lot of tactical shooting last year and went through over 5000 reloads using win231 and B.E. That was all plinking grade ammo. I only started on .357mag a few months ago with the idea of shooting out to 50yds which means a step up in the quality of my reloads. That's when I met Blue Dot and spent a lot of time trying to get the Dillon to meter it accurately. A lot of time.

I am entirely self taught. I read a lot and got a lot of help here on CB but I've never actually seen anyone else reload, much less have someone look over my shoulder. I know my 550 and my Big Boss. I have good mechanical aptitude but these presses with all the different configurations are still sometimes confusing to me.

I don't have money to burn but I am willing to spend what it takes to make this work well. I want to know, when I miss at 50yds, that there was no question about the charge and it's a matter of my technique. There are already too many factors that go into producing an accurate shot, I don't need to worry about random powder charges also.

The charges I'm throwing are pretty small 2.5gn (win231) - 11gn (B.D.) . Down the road I plan to reload .356 GNR (.41mag necked down to .357) which might take 22gn. Distance shooting doesn't eat ammo at the same rate as tactical. I would probably be fine hand cranking the rotor for such loads although an actuated system is still desireable. I can do a lot in .357mag with win231 & B.E. but hey! I'm reloading. It's about options and being able to experiment.

PS I apologize for the solid block of text. CB wont let me split the paragraphs.

Alvarez Kelly
10-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Addressing your desire for a second powder measure so you won't have to change your settings...

The Dillon powder measure wave washer (by design) allows you to deflect the linkage enough you can slip the powder bar out and slide in a new one. Extra powder bars are cheaper than extra powder measures...

r1kk1
10-25-2013, 09:35 AM
I ran 8 pounds of 800 X through my Dillon Measure with no problems.

Thanks lubedude. Good to know. I buy kegs of different shotshell powders to try in shotshells then in handguns. I use bushings in the shotshell press, then the Dillon measure and finally the QM. I've been tracking the results and so far all three are very close to the load I need.

Take care

r1kk1

LUBEDUDE
10-25-2013, 10:06 AM
R1-that's a good feeling when everything is working as should be. Especially different PM's.

bhn22
10-25-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm assuming you are using the small charge bar for such light charges, one thing that helped me has been to double up on the charge bar return springs. I use two of them instead of the normally supplied single spring. I'm surprised to hear that they are now supplied with rubber bands instead of return springs. The 550 parts kits have return springs, or perhaps you could ask Dillon for a couple. I've always found them to be receptive to parts requests when I had to troubleshoot an issue.

Alvarez Kelly
10-25-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm assuming you are using the small charge bar for such light charges, one thing that helped me has been to double up on the charge bar return springs. I use two of them instead of the normally supplied single spring. I'm surprised to hear that they are now supplied with rubber bands instead of return springs. The 550 parts kits have return springs, or perhaps you could ask Dillon for a couple. I've always found them to be receptive to parts requests when I had to troubleshoot an issue.

Dillon doesn't use rubber bands, but this is not the first time I have heard of someone adding them to their powder measure. The current style powder measures don't use return springs. I find the clunky return motion some people complain about with the new measures seems to help achieve consistent results. Kinda' of like the knocker on the old Lyman 55s. Your results may vary...

meshugunner
10-25-2013, 12:14 PM
The rubber bands came from my kitchen rummage drawer, not Dillon :) Despite the fact that they look very classy, I will contact Dillon for the proper return springs. I'm at 7000' and the ozone kills rubber bands

From the info above, these are the options.

a. size and decap in a SS press. Bell in station #1, charge in #2. 450 powder die approx $20 + powder measure

b. Use the Dillon adapter & 450 in the powder station. approx $40 + powder measure

c. Option b with linkage - adds an extra $90 - $150

For powder measures:

1. Lil Dandy $40 + $55 for adjustable rotor

2. Uniflow $80 + $40 small charge cylinder progressive press linkage $90

3. Quick Measure $120 + $40 for small parts (haven't figured that out yet) progressive press linkage $150

I feel I'll be fine without a linkage, at least for now.

The Lil Dandy is highly recommended by a friend of mine. Albeit he uses fixed charge rotors. I'm still experimenting with charges so I want adjustable.

Uniflow got good but mixed reviews on Midway.

QM seems the gold plated way to go but it's not designed to mount in a press at all. The progressive linkage+adapter is more expensive than the press. I might could make something myself but that would add another project and probably need the adapter & 450 die. Were it not for this problem, I'd be tempted. It's spendy but it looks like it would put an end to my measuring problems.

At this time I am thinking the Dillon adapter + 450 die with the Lil Dandy. Someone on this forum has offered these to me. Thank you. It's the cheapest and simplest. If I change my mind I can always sell it here and recover most of my cost.

I haven't yet decided. I'd appreciate comments.

I'd also like to get my Dillon working properly. Perhaps fixing the slot in the charge bar will improve things. Kelly Alvarez has offered to help with that. Thank you.

Once again, I apologize for the crowded text

dudel
10-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Might check your measure. Mine does great for bullseye, unique, 2400 and red dot. No problem with varget, aa2. aa5 or 231. I prefer it over the other ones I've used (hornady, lee perfect powder, and another which escapes me at the moment.

I suspect Dillon will make it right.

wv109323
10-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Dillon makes an adapter that you can use any powder measure with a 7/8 X 14 thread. You can drop powder charges thru the regular powder tube. The powder die is the old one used on the 450 press. The powder tube is held in place with a set screw and the bell is adjusted by the height of the die. There is no case activation of the powder measure as on the 550.
The two pieces needed is around $40.00.

Garyshome
10-26-2013, 12:02 AM
No problems with my Dillon.

Kull
10-26-2013, 12:39 AM
Meshugunner I don't have a 550, 650 instead, but I had inconsistency issues with flake powders. Few things solved my problem. One was grounding my press, that stopped powder from sticking to the sides of the measure. The other was the z-bend in my failsafe rod wasn't correct, causing binding in the slotted bellcrank that was hard to notice unless I looked for it. Once I had the static gone, the failsafe action smooth and adjusted properly, problems were gone. I have four Dillon powder measures and they all throw very consistently.

Alvarez Kelly
10-26-2013, 01:29 AM
...the z-bend in my failsafe rod wasn't correct, causing binding in the slotted bellcrank that was hard to notice unless I looked for it.

This is something I've never heard of, and I thought I've heard it all! Thanks for the tip!

wrench man
10-26-2013, 01:31 AM
I don't seem to have any issues with my 550B either?, I see absolutely no reason for rubber bands or the old return springs??, the linkage returns the charge bar just fine if it's adjusted properly?

Moonman
10-26-2013, 03:07 AM
I put a HORNADY MEASURE on my Dillon 550, I just feel it's a better Powder Measure overall.

thehouseproduct
10-26-2013, 03:45 AM
I put a HORNADY MEASURE on my Dillon 550, I just feel it's a better Powder Measure overall.

Me too. I like the quick change inserts.

Daddyfixit
10-26-2013, 04:06 AM
You need to use the extra small bar for the small loads. I have no issues on my 550 now that I use the extra small bar for my light loads.

meshugunner
11-03-2013, 12:35 AM
The small powder bar is sloppy in the slot. I miked it about 3 thou undersized. It goes together with a spacer to make up for the missing height of the rifle powder bar. I glued a piece of printer paper onto the top of the space, cut out the necessary openings. It now slides snugly. The paper is not on the bearing surface so it may last. If it doesn't I'll use brass or somesuch.

I am now getting 2.7 gns of Bullseye every throw, rock steady. I am used to it wobbling +/- .1gn. This is nice when loading small charges (.380 acp ). I haven't tried it with Blue Dot yet but I suspect it will do a lot better.

I want a 2nd powder measure for magnum loads so that I don't have to switch between BD & BE, so that will be the Lil Dandy with an adjustable rotor. KellyAlavarez came through with the adapter parts for the 550. Thanks.