PDA

View Full Version : Shot shell press ID

jmorris
10-23-2013, 10:08 PM
This was given to me many years ago (I was 13 or 14), it is a 12 ga reloader, inline style.

In the powder/shot measure it has L 1000 in the casting. The bushings only have 1 1/8 (shot) and 0 (powder) stamped into them. The crimp die reads "L E C 12/ga plastic".

My search brings up nothing.

At first I thought it might be an old product from Lee, as it is similar to the plastic shell loader they sell now, but it is infact LEC.

IIRC I used Reddot powder and #9 shot with it. The shells worked in the 1100 I recieved for Christmas back then. Kind of spooky now that I think about the little know how I had back then...

seagiant
10-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi,
The base reminds me of my Lachmiller ! Also the dies look the same. Might be a clue!

Roundnoser
10-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Awesome press Seagiant! Preserving the old equipment is A+

seagiant
10-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Hi Jon,
Yea, a diamond in the rough! It now makes a shell as good as anything out there! Can we say Spolar, boys and girls!

W.R.Buchanan
10-24-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm saying RCBS version of Lachmiller press. AS we know RCBS bought most of Lachmiller's stuff when they passed into history.

RCBS also had a tendency to change a few things before they marketed the product as their own.

If you look at the base and upper platen castings (something they wouldn't have changed) it is identical to Greg's Lachmiller loader. It appears that they just added the powder and shot dispenser which was more of an addition than a modification. Simple up grade to better the product.

Randy

hornetman
10-24-2013, 12:34 PM
It's a Lachmiller Model L1000. LEC stands for Lachmiller Engineering Corporation. It appeared for the first time in the 6th edition of the Handloader's Digest. Priced at 69.50-the same price as Seagiant's Lachmiller Super Jet.

jmorris
10-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Thanks, that is what I was looking for.