PDA

View Full Version : Wanted S&W 625, 625-2 or 625-8 better?

.45Cole
10-23-2013, 09:25 PM
I am in the market for a S&W 625 and I really like the 625-2 with the ramp sight, no safety lock, and the hammer mounted firing pin. Is all this really worth the time it will take to scare one up or are the newer ones just as good?
PS I plan on having the gun polished to a higher luster, so the etchings on the bbl mean nothing to me.

ratboy
10-23-2013, 11:14 PM
i bought a 625-8 JM used. luckily it was on the cheap side.
shot well and worked fine but leaded the forcing cone pretty badly because someone bent the ejector rod.
i fixed the ejector rod but had discovered the forcing cone was much too large. (i shouldnt have measured it [smilie=b: )
i set the barrel back and reset the cylinder gap, trued up the front of the cylinder.
its now a tack driver and no longer leads the forcing cone. i do not know if it was shipped this way or if some bubba did some "tuning" but someone was in the trigger and did bad things so it is possible it was fine when new.
i am happy with it now but am having problems with bullet lube finding its way onto the recoil shield. need to up my loads i think.
i have never fired any other 625 so i can only tell you about this one and this is my experience with it thus far.