PDA

View Full Version : All the free WW's I could get!

.45Cole
10-23-2013, 09:18 PM
I had my truck tires balanced and I asked if I could keep my WW's (as they are old WW they will be lead). The guy asked if I wanted any more like a handful, I told him as much as I could have, and he told me to come by whenever I need it and I can clean him out. Best of all, the assistant manager comp'ed the balancing! I probably owe then some beer.
Are most of the WW's still lead, or about 75/25 (lead/zinc)?

tomme boy
10-23-2013, 09:27 PM
A lot depends on the area and the shop. One shop I get them from, it is about 75% zinc. Another shop it is about 75% lead. I think it depends mainly on the customer base.

bangerjim
10-23-2013, 10:42 PM
I was just at a salvage yard locally and they have probably 2 tons of COWW's in big boxes and 5 gal buckets. I have no interest in them because smelting them is too messy and time consuming. I did that years ago!

In just "sampling" them, I found that probably >60% are now Zn or Fe.

Most of us can forget about free anything today. And with the last lead smelter in America being closed down due to EPA, lead will be getting even harder to find and more costly!!!!!!

banger

shaper
10-24-2013, 09:31 AM
I go to a recycle yard for all of my lead. They now have a spanish guy that seperates the lead and zink when he has nothing else to do. My last 5 gallon bucket was 126 pounds that I didn't have to seperate.

myg30
10-26-2013, 09:01 AM
The last bucket I got was mostly Fe, rubber and very few zinc. The rest was lead and still a good amount of those were stick on.
I guess we need to mold plastic boolits soon as the lead foundry looks to be picked on by the man and his tree hugger liberals.

Mike

Garyshome
10-26-2013, 09:05 AM
I need more, don't have enough yet!

Hardcast416taylor
10-26-2013, 11:08 AM
The last free 3/4 full 5 gal. pail I got last week from a car dealership was still about 75% lead clip on to 25% Ze and other trash.Robert

T-Dogg
10-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Is there an easy way to tell if they are lead or zinc? Scratch test, or are COWWs too hard for that?

dave roelle
10-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Is there an easy way to tell if they are lead or zinc? Scratch test, or are COWWs too hard for that?

best way is the side cutter test----------you'll always be able to cut or dent lead----not so zinc or iron

Dave

novalty
10-29-2013, 01:26 PM
My father-in-law has a local salvage yard where he has been picking up his and my wheel weights. They have a person that will sort out the lead. A couple of weeks ago he ordered another 100lbs for himself and 100lbs for me, and he said they told him the price was $0.63/lb. Has some extra money, so I told him to order another 100lbs for me. So they added it to the order. Went to pick them up this past weekend, and they told him it had gone up to $0.70/lb. We figured it was still a fair price--since they had a batch of lead that was already melted into bars in the batch. Anyway, we went home to sort out my 200lbs and his 100lbs. They recycling yards does exchange any zinc or steel weights that get missed in the sorting for lead ones. So we sat down and started separating out our orders, we ended up with 80lbs of zinc and steel weights. Needless to say we weren't very impressed with their sorting ability this time. The last 200lbs I got had only 4 to 5 pounds of zinc/steel that were missed.

jakec
10-29-2013, 02:39 PM
i found out my buddy from high school has a tire shop! went by there today and got a bucketfull for free and its 95% lead. he said the little independent tire shops will have a lot more lead weights than zinc or steel compared to chain stores.

TheGrimReaper
10-30-2013, 04:30 PM
i found out my buddy from high school has a tire shop! went by there today and got a bucketfull for free and its 95% lead. he said the little independent tire shops will have a lot more lead weights than zinc or steel compared to chain stores.
Hey!!! Now that is AWSOME!!!

jakec
10-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Yes sir i thought so too!! Im casting some 158 gn swc with thoses ww as i type this!

GOPHER SLAYER
10-30-2013, 05:38 PM
With a little practice you can tell by looking that a ww is lead or zinc. I can tell the difference while sitting in the car without getting out. Zinc has a silver sheen to it, lead is dull in appearance. I have not seen a lead ww in Komifornia in years.

Slow Elk 45/70
10-31-2013, 12:05 AM
WW are soon to pass from our sources.....IMHO

Clay M
10-31-2013, 12:33 AM
Last bucket I bought weighed 140 lbs.I had to go through and sort it. I found about 30lbs was steel,and zinc. I took that back and got it replace with lead.I paid $40 for a 140lb bucket.