PDA

View Full Version : Case tumbler

jjamna
11-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Iwould like to get a tumbler. Any suggestions for a good starter. I have the ability to grind my own corncobs for media, is their anything I need to add to it or just use straight ground cob. Thanks in advance

Lloyd Smale
11-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Ive got a dillon a lyman and a frankfort arsonel tumbler. The frankford arsenal one has been a good tumbler and there pretty cheap. Love my dillon though it holds LOTS of brass!!

Sundogg1911
11-06-2007, 04:20 PM
I also have the biggie Dillon, and a Frankford arsenal. They both work well. The Frankford is a great deal from Midway. (I bought it with the media seperator) The Dillon get's used only with the big batches. The Frankford Arsenal gets used just about every trip to the range.

VTDW
11-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Harbor Freight is selling them right now for $39.99 - Vibratory.

pumpguy
11-06-2007, 07:36 PM
I have an old Thumlers tumbler. It is the quietest running of my tumblers. I don't know if they are still available, but, I see them at gun shows all the time. They run about 50-60 bucks and are well worth it. I bought a Harbor Freight tumbler a couple of years ago. It fell apart the first time I used it.

JeffinNZ
11-06-2007, 09:22 PM
I made one.

Got an electric motor and mounted an off centre weight on the shaft so that the motor vibrates in operation. Connected the motor to a cradle that holds a 2 litere ice cream container. Suspended the cradle on a pair of rubber straps made from a bicycle tube mounted over a wooden box. Also added a server fan, from an old computer, to one side of the box to blow cool air over the motor as it works.

The whole thing cost next to nothing and works like a million bucks.

jjamna
11-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all the info. it is very helpful. But what about the media?

melw
11-07-2007, 12:17 AM
I use the corn cob by it self. I have not found the need for any polish.
Mel W.

dromia
11-07-2007, 02:56 AM
Ditto the Thumlers Tumblers.

I've got two, one I bought second hand 15 years ago and its still going champion, replaced the belt recently. Thumler sent me a some over for a few of quid.

I bought a new one a couple of years ago for running wet with ceramic media for my big bore BP cases.

They just sit there quietly working, never felt the need to get a vibratory one, have used them in the past but found them very noisy compared to the Thumlers.

Look at lapidary sources for rotary tumblers, Buffalo arms sell the Thumlers line.

richbug
11-07-2007, 07:59 AM
I am currently searching for a new one as well.

I had one of the old Midway/frankford arsenal units, it was good, and lasted about 8 years. I needed parts for it, and asked midway. They told me to send it back for replacement since it had a lifetime guarantee. They replaced it with their current model which died almost immediately.

I figured it was time to upgrade to a bigger unit, so I wouldn't be so hard on it. I bought a Lyman 2500 for about $75. It lasted 3 weeks till the motor caught fire. Midway replaced it with another, it lasted 4 batches of brass before cracking the support plate, and cooking the motor. It is on its way back for a refund tomorrow.

I love Midway's customer service, but everyones current crop of tumblers aren't worth owning.

I can't justify $164.99 plus S+H for the big Dillon. From what research I can find, Dillon doesn't make it themselves anymore, and only warranties it for a year. For the nearly $200 it would cost to get one it had better have Dillons no BS warranty.

Bret4207
11-07-2007, 08:55 AM
I bought a Hornady at an auction. Works great and is good for cleaning rusty tools too.

testhop
11-07-2007, 06:01 PM
i have a dillon the big one been useing it for years i cant think how long love it cleans great fast and big loads i heav no problumwith dillon except i wish thay would stop putting legs on the ear muffs when i go to the range to work the hunter sight in mine keeps walking off

rmb721
11-07-2007, 09:46 PM
I have two Hornady model M2's. They are not near as noisy as the Lyman I have.

Morgan Astorbilt
11-08-2007, 01:29 AM
This is a large tumbler I built several years ago, using an eight gallon drum, of the type used to import olives. It is driven by a 0-120V variable speed 1/5HP DC gear motor, salvaged from a conveyor belt. It is fed by a power transformer and full wave rectifier, and runs at 45 RPM. The timer is a 12hr. mechanical timer of the type used to control heaters in bathrooms. I mentioned it in a prior thread about timing tumblers. There are four 1"x1-1/2" oak vanes, one of which is visible in the photo of the interior. The unit is counterweighted, and hinged on the stand, enabling me to dump into a five gallon can. I then pour everything through a 1/4" hardware cloth sieve to remove the media, which is corncob charged with Lyman Turbo Brite.

Three hours is enough to give a high polish to the cases. Don't know what the capacity is, I've polished hundreds of .45LC cases at a time in it.
Morgan

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/100_1774.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/100_1771.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/100_1773.jpg

fourarmed
11-08-2007, 12:29 PM
I inherited a Thumler vibratory, and the motor died after a few years. I bought a new motor from them, and it died within a year. I have a Lyman 1200 that is over 20 years old, and still going. I got a big Lyman from Santa last year, and it is doing fine so far, although I think the drain feature is a waste of money. It takes forever. Much faster to pick it up and dump it into a strainer.

Edited to add: I use untreated walnut hulls now after years of using Lyman's treated corn cob. For normally dirty brass, it is just as fast, and leaves a finer surface.

38 Super Auto
11-08-2007, 09:30 PM
One comment about the Dillon "no BS" guarantee on thier tumblers: it doesn't include the motor.

I have the big boy and the motor failed a few years ago. After I sent it back, they called and said send them $$ to replace the motor. I informed them that the tumbler had a lifetime guarantee on all parts when I purchased it.

They could not prove otherwise and begrudgingly replaced the motor with a "not so new" motor that was available.

I wrote a personal letter to Mr. Dillon expressing my discontent with their policy all all the crap I had to go through to get my tumbler fixed.

I never recieved an answer (or a free Super 1050 [smilie=1:)

Anyway, I like Dillon in general, but beware of the tumbler guarantee.

:Fire:

Lee
11-09-2007, 02:19 AM
OK, I'll bite. I'm sittin' here lookin' out over a big field of field corn, readin this thread, and the light comes on in my head!
Anybody have any ideas on how to grind your own corncob?? I could save a lotta money there!
Seriously, JJAMNA, how do you grind yours??
Thanks......................Lee:wink:

spurrit
11-09-2007, 05:38 AM
OK, I'll bite. I'm sittin' here lookin' out over a big field of field corn, readin this thread, and the light comes on in my head!
Anybody have any ideas on how to grind your own corncob?? I could save a lotta money there!
Seriously, JJAMNA, how do you grind yours??
Thanks......................Lee:wink:

I was just sitting here, trying to get the wife to grind my cob [smilie=1: , and noticed your post. Check out www.willitblend.com . Or, go to ww.youtube.com and search for "will it blend?" .

Morgan Astorbilt
11-09-2007, 08:44 AM
I was just sitting here, trying to get the wife to grind my cob [smilie=1:

Spurrit, As someone who knows the difficulty of getting their wife to grind their cob, I feel your pain :drinks:
I have a million answers for your post, but as a newby, I'm afraid I'll get banned from this site, if I post them.:-D
Morgan

johnly
11-09-2007, 08:39 PM
After a very long life, my Midway tumbler died. I grabbed a Harbor Freight unit as I was in the store and it was on sale. I'm impressed with it so far. It moves the brass much faster in the bowl than the Midway unit ever did.

John in Oregon

Ivantherussian03
11-09-2007, 10:47 PM
I enjoyed the pics of the home made tumblers. Can people share more of those!
:drinks:

reloader89
11-10-2007, 12:55 AM
i have a frankferd arsonal tumbler and i added some brass polisher to my media and it works great. I let it run about five hours and everything gets polished. instead of corn cob i use crushed walnut shells.

Cayoot
11-10-2007, 11:17 AM
You guys that made your own tumblers/vibrators...Too Cool!!! I have one from Berrys right now that my loving wife gave me for Christmas about 8 years ago. It works great...but I think that I want to make my own to be a back up/replacement when this one gives up the ghost. (At least it's a good excuse to put on my mad scientist hat and start a new project!):drinks:

Ghugly
11-14-2007, 05:45 PM
This is a large tumbler I built several years ago, using an eight gallon drum, of the type used to import olives. It is driven by a 0-120V variable speed 1/5HP DC gear motor, salvaged from a conveyor belt. It is fed by a power transformer and full wave rectifier, and runs at 45 RPM. The timer is a 12hr. mechanical timer of the type used to control heaters in bathrooms. I mentioned it in a prior thread about timing tumblers. There are four 1"x1-1/2" oak vanes, one of which is visible in the photo of the interior. The unit is counterweighted, and hinged on the stand, enabling me to dump into a five gallon can. I then pour everything through a 1/4" hardware cloth sieve to remove the media, which is corncob charged with Lyman Turbo Brite.

Three hours is enough to give a high polish to the cases. Don't know what the capacity is, I've polished hundreds of .45LC cases at a time in it.
Morgan

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/100_1774.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/100_1771.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/100_1773.jpg

Damn..............that's one serious piece of equipment. I'm jealous, and not of the tumbler. I'm just thinking that my pitiful, little, insignificant, (did I mention little?) Harbor Freight tumbler is all that I need. :(

Mayor
11-17-2007, 09:39 PM
One comment about the Dillon "no BS" guarantee on thier tumblers: it doesn't include the motor.

I have the big boy and the motor failed a few years ago. After I sent it back, they called and said send them $$ to replace the motor. I informed them that the tumbler had a lifetime guarantee on all parts when I purchased it.

They could not prove otherwise and begrudgingly replaced the motor with a "not so new" motor that was available.

I wrote a personal letter to Mr. Dillon expressing my discontent with their policy all all the crap I had to go through to get my tumbler fixed.

I never recieved an answer (or a free Super 1050 [smilie=1:)

Anyway, I like Dillon in general, but beware of the tumbler guarantee.

:Fire:

I had exactly the same trouble! Seems there is some BS at Dillon...........
I still use their products but the sour taste made it much easier to shop around!

The Midway Frankford arsenal has a lifetime guarantee............CAN"T BEAT THAT!

jjamna
11-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Lee I use an old John Deere #6 hammer mill. I raise corn to feed horses. Shell it out .Feed the corn grind the cobs. Then sift it with screen wire. Getting the right size is the problem.
I hate it when a simple post turns nasty.

Wilsknife
03-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Harbor Freight tumblers are PsOS. The shaft on mine snapped at the vibrating plate after about 5 hours of use. That's after having to tighten everything so it would work. It says 'Made in China' for a reason, it's junk. Kinda like "Made in Japan" 50 years ago.

shotman
03-24-2011, 01:33 AM
jam try the corn in the mix. make sure its good and dry. Walnut does better but if you got the corn its cheaper takes longer

bobthenailer
03-24-2011, 07:05 AM
try finding a lortin rock tumbler they are the caddilac of the tumblers ! ive been useing mine for 30 years and the only thing ive replaced is the drive belt . AS a bonus you can use liquid cleaner as i do! water a couple squirts of JOY and BB gun BBs . I also clean my brass every time after shooting

DCM
03-27-2011, 12:13 AM
If you buy corn cob media try to get the 16/20 grit, it will not plug your flash holes like the larger stuff.

I am currently building a large rotary tumbler for use with stainless media.

dromia
03-27-2011, 04:07 AM
Recently picked up an RCBS Sidewinder with two drums for a song at an auction, another rotary that just sits there quietly doing its job. It can be used wet or dry, another great unit.

flashhole
03-27-2011, 09:17 AM
I picked up a Lyman model 2200 about 2 years ago. It is the heavy duty version of the 1200. It works really well and it's quiet. No complaints from me and I recommend buying it.