PDA

View Full Version : Advise for a new guy

Northboy
10-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Wanting to start making my own plinkers and hunting bullets. Plinkers for 9mm 45acp, and hunting bullets for 30-06, 303 Brit"I run a 308 diam. through this, 30-30, 7mm, and possibly 270. Not looking to make my money back asap or anything. More I enjoy loading in the winter and think i would equally enjoy making my own bullets. However Cost is an issue. Was thinking about BT's dies but i saw Larry Blackmons pricelist and was wondering what the experienced thought of them?

Also I saw some 308 bullets made with jackets from 223 brass anyone tried them on whitetail??

Reload3006
10-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Dr Blackmon has good gear. I would stay away from his Larger diameter dies like 45acp because they break easily.

runfiverun
10-23-2013, 09:10 PM
the best suggestion I can make is get a second job. ,, that is some cash outlay.

welcome to the forum.

Cane_man
10-23-2013, 09:28 PM
or learn how to make your own :)

GRUMPA
10-23-2013, 09:29 PM
the best suggestion I can make is get a second job. ,, that is some cash outlay.

welcome to the forum.

:holysheep run5run what are you trying to do scare the poor guy [smilie=1:

runfiverun
10-23-2013, 11:00 PM
nope, I well,,,,, I got nothing to say for myself.
swaging is a great learning experience about how bullets work, but time and money consuming.
the more you put into it the more you get out of it, but if you are a stick straight to the book type, swaging leaves you in a quandary of no data.
if however you are looking for an outlet for OCD tendency's ,and care about your work being the best it can be, you are in the right place.

Northboy
10-23-2013, 11:23 PM
if however you are looking for an outlet for OCD tendency's ,and care about your work being the best it can be, you are in the right place.

Yeah that pretty much sums me up. I get a lot of spare time in the late fall and winter months. I just like doing things myself too.

MOcaster
10-23-2013, 11:48 PM
Believe me when I say there is NO end to what you can be OCD about. I started out really OCD swaging 9mm to 40 but then that got too much even for me. And really, I just sorted by head stamp(Weight was always pretty similar between the brands I used but that cannot be said for all brands.). You can drive yourself crazy if you want to.
Edit: I forgot to say welcome the the forum and good luck.

Prospector Howard
10-24-2013, 10:45 AM
That's actually an understatement. Lets see, 5 sets of dies how much is that going to add up to. And how about waiting years to get them. Then there's the problem of jackets. With the pistol calibers the 9mm to .40 and .40 to .429 and .45 cal makes some sense. I made dies for .40s&w to .429 for my 44 mag but I don't "plink" with them. I plink with cast and shoot the swaged bullets sparingly as mostly cleaners at the end after shooting my cast rounds. The .22 cases to .224 makes the most sense of anything, basically unlimited free jackets. I don't quite understand the idea of plinking with the brass jacket swaged bullets for pistol. Too much work, and the velocity is slow enough that cast work fine. On the other side, I don't get casting for .223, paying for gas checks; and you can't shoot them fast enough to get what I want out of the caliber. that's why swaging for .223 makes good sense. I made a set of dies to take 9mm cases and .223 cases (trimmed down), down to .323 for jackets for my k-98 but these are quite a bit of work having to draw them down in draw dies first. Cane man is even taking them down to .308 and further, even more work. Anyway, I'm rambling; my best advise is start with .22 cases to .224 and see how that works. It makes the most sense on every level, and you'll learn alot about swaging. Good luck.

welcome to the forum.

R.Ph. 380
10-24-2013, 02:05 PM
It really really helps to do one of three things. 1. Win the Lottery, 2. Inherit unlimited wealth, 3. Print your own currency.

With any one or a combination, you can be successful with swaging and not have to worry about much. Good Luck, Read and enjoy

Bill

clodhopper
10-25-2013, 01:19 AM
If you want to make some bullets this winter, order a 45 cal mould.
Swaging tools are months away even when there is no panic buying.
The velocity of 45 auto makes it very forgiving.

Rainier
11-11-2013, 02:33 AM
I'm sure you meant "if however you are looking for an outlet for CDO tendency's ,and care about your work being the best it can be, you are in the right place."
There, I "fixed" CDO for you - gotta have the letters in their proper order :)