PDA

View Full Version : Mould Suggestions Wanted for 357 NOE/ Mihec Brass vs Aluminum etc...

hammeredbean
10-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Howdy folks. This is my first post here. I have lurked on the forum for a couple years and finally joined. I want to start casting for 357 magnum. I will be using them out of an SP101 and a GP100 (don't have that one yet). At some point way off in the future I might get my kids started with 357 leverguns...so I am wondering who has experience with the Mihec 359-640 or the NOE 360 -160 -180 or 359-175 ranch dog. It looks like case length is VERY critical on the NOE 180 as there seems to be two crimp groves together. The 175 ranch dog version just has one crimp groove and looks a little better. The Mihec seems nice because a person can have a 158ish boolit and a 170 just by making HP's or solids.

I have never cast any boolits before and am a bit nervous about "tinning" a brass mould. Help me out here. I hunt with my 357 so I want to stay with a large meplat boolit. I do realize that it may seem silly.;...even stupid for a person to hunt with an sp101 carry gun, but in my state it is legal....my freezer is full of venison and all of the deer I have killed have been close up and expired as quickly as any I have shot with high powered rifles. There are always two holes. So far I have only used 158gr jsp's but want something of my own making!

Thanks in advance for the help! I am a bit intimidated by casting but I just have to try it!

Jim Flinchbaugh
10-23-2013, 11:40 AM
I have the NOE 360-160 WFN mold in brass. What an outright JOY to use!
It casts like a dream. The ONLY detriment to a brass mold is the weight of it -compared to aluminum.
I dont find it a problem. You WILL NOT regret a brass mold- with the exception
that you will want all your molds to be brass from then on :D

As far as "tinning"is concerned, if you follow the instructions by preheating a cooling the mold through a few cycles,
it will form its own "non stick" patina and you shouldn't be running the mold hot enough for lead to tin it anyway

Beagle333
10-23-2013, 11:42 AM
I like the MP 359-640, but I can't do better than the NOE 360-160 WFN for shooting the best groups in my GP100. That is just one awesome boolit. To be fair though, I have been shooting the NOE quite a bit longer than the MP, so perhaps I'll find my load that will make it shoot just as well for me.
I recently got the NOE RanchDog 175, but have not shot any.

I like brass, but that is just my preference. I really can't tell any difference in ease of use, or boolit quality over any other. Mold material isn't really a deciding factor in whether I buy it or not.

runfiverun
10-23-2013, 12:57 PM
for a beginner type thing i'd seriously consider an rcbs 38-158 rnfp. [cowboy mold]
the mold will be much more user friendly to a new caster, the design works flawlessly in a levergun and the meplat is certainly enough for hunting.
the rcbs designs are also very user friendly and drop excellent boolits once cleaned and warmed up.

felix
10-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Agree! ... felix

Blammer
10-23-2013, 02:16 PM
I have a NOE and a Mihec 357 caliber moulds. I like both as far as casting goes. I hunt with the wider meplat and have taken two deer with them so far. (of course this is with a rifle)

I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I would recommend the NOE one because of the wider meplat.

Beerd
10-23-2013, 02:28 PM
As an owner of both NOE and Mihec moulds I can't say that I like one more that another.

But I have to agree (sort of) with runfiverun, start with a plane jane 2 cavity Lee 158 gr RNFP mould. Get the hang of casting with that one and then move on to more cavities and hollow points.

edit: And welcome to the forum!

paul h
10-23-2013, 02:30 PM
I have the mihec 359-640 and really like how accurate it is out of my 357 blackhawk.

Since you're new to casting, I'd recomend you start out with Lee's 105 gr SWC and 158 gr RF. Both are accurate, the 105 is an outstanting plinking bullet and for new shooters due to very mild recoil and the 158 will take game just as well as a more expensive mold. Get both in 6 cavity molds, cast up a mound of bullets and then look at what specialty molds tickle your fancy.

I've cast with brass molds for years and have never had an issue with tinning. Mihec molds are works of art. The only caveat is that while you can cast flatpoint bullets with it, the bullets tend to stick in the mold and then your cadence is shot, the mold cools down and you get real frustrated. A long way of saying, get a hollow point mold to cast hollow points and stick with a conventional style mold for casting flat points.

PS Paul
10-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Welcome to the forum, hammered. You are just like me: a lurker for a few years. Since then, I've made several good like-minded friends. I always encourage new guys to post there whereabouts on your description in case there are others who are nearby with whom you can communicate.

Otherwise, Run5's advice is sound. RNFP is a good way to go with levergun-friendly feeding.

PSP

rockshooter
10-23-2013, 10:43 PM
I got the NOE brass version and would get the aluminum version next time because of the weight of the mold. After 500 bullets, my wrist gets tired. I made a mold guide out of wood and aluminum flashing that helps lots. The bullets come out beautimous!
Loren

hammeredbean
10-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all of the replies! I knew that I'd get lots of first class advice here. I have considered starting with Lee because they are cheap thus being sort of "consequence free". All of my Lee products work just as they should. I have also looked at the RCBS cowboy mould as "runfiverun" suggested. It looks really nice and appears to have a generous meplat. The Lee 158RF is also one that I was considering but forgot to mention in my original post.

Once again, thanks for the generous information. I have also updated my profile to show my location....I am about a mile off the battle field at near Shiloh, TN. Thanks!

Boolseye
10-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Get both in 6 cavity molds

I always buy the 6-cav if it's an option.
You're getting 4x the mold for 2x the money.

hammeredbean
10-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Well, I have been mulling this over and this is where I am. Of course if money wasn't a factor I'd buy one of each and cast away till I found the "one" Haha. The Lee 358158RF is cheap and has a wide meplat. The Lyman 358665 and RCBS 38 158 CM are similar but higher quality. The RCBS seems to have less meplat than all of the above. I am actually leaning toward the 358665 because "if" it works nice, it would be a quality mold to last a long time, but every time I read about it, that Lee version pops up with everyone singing its praises.

runfiverun
10-28-2013, 06:34 PM
nothing wrong with the lee mold.
I actually use the lyman mold the most, but I have an older version that actually makes the right diameter boolits for me.

if I were buying today i'd probably pick the LEE 6 cavity and remove the bevel from the base.
or go with the rcbs and attempt to wear it out making a jillion boolits.
I have used my lyman so much I can't read the numbers on the side anymore but it still clicks out excellent boolits and have passed it onto the wife to use on her master caster.

paul h
10-29-2013, 01:15 AM
Just because Lee molds are less expensive doesn't mean they are lower quality. I've shot bullets cast from Lee molds and compared them to those I've cast from LBT, Lyman, RCBS, Balisticast, Mountain Molds and NEI & the Lee bullets have been just as accurate. I say get the Lee 158 rf because its an excellent bullet that I've cast and shot. It just happens to be offered in a reasonably priced mold.

Boolseye
10-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Just go slow as you learn to cast. 38 caliber is a great place to start, stop or stay. I cast the Lee 358-158SWC (TL bullet) and it's a good one. Best of luck in your venture.
-BE

Tazman1602
11-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Welcome Hammered! Hold on to your wallet pal --- the madness begins for you!

Runfiver gave you some good advice man as have the other guys. Molds are promiscuous and don't use birth control so lookout!

That Lee 158-RF is a great mold. Buy a six cab and have one of the guys here or whomever to remove the bevel base and you will not be sorry.

My BIL uses that mold I gave him for Christmas when he started casting, he sizes with a Lee sizer and uses liquid Alex in his .38 sol and has had great luck with it.

Art