PDA

View Full Version : I have an itch...

Bohica793
10-22-2013, 10:36 PM
....An annoying little itch that causes me to look at various weapons powering round lead balls with charges of a fine black substance. While I have experience in loading smokeless powder and my own cast lead into modern cartridges and shooting same, I have no such experiences with the more historical versions without the fancy brass containers. I therefore submit to you, the pillars of knowledge, for advice as to how I should first start scratching this itch. Cap and ball pistol? Rifle? I believe I would prefer to stay in the percussion realm first before attempting flintlocks, but open to suggestions.

(Troweled on thick enough for you?)

mooman76
10-22-2013, 10:55 PM
I'd start off simple with a nice caplock rifle. About a 45 or 50 cal to start. Maybe even a used one in good shape.

starmac
10-22-2013, 11:11 PM
No Zombie just listed a buckhunter in the swapping and selling , It is not my style, but it is about the cheapest way to scratch I know of. lol

johnson1942
10-23-2013, 08:13 AM
do you hunt? or target or just plink? the gun you get should be for what you do.

andreadavide
10-23-2013, 08:32 AM
I would suggest a copy of the Remington 1858.
Really lots of fun.
(that's how I started with the fine black powdery substance...)

Bohica793
10-23-2013, 09:23 AM
do you hunt? or target or just plink? the gun you get should be for what you do.

Strictly target and plink though hunting will be added should SHTF.

451 Pete
10-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Bohica, the symptoms of the condition that you are describing is one that once caught, is known in many cases to rapidly spread. Treatment for this is available, however as has been stated here before, burning of black powder for a temporary cure can form an addiction ( thought to come from inhaling the smoke ) and there is no warning on the label on the can to this effect. If I may suggest, group therapy, in the form of clubs that have been formed or taking treatment with individuals with a similar affliction can most times be the safest and best way to proceed. There are also many good books available on the subject and that can lead you to a better understanding of the complications involved in safely deriving your cure.

Pete

GunSlingerNM
10-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Ah yes, the "ITCH". Prepare to have a lot of fun. Cost of guns is not expensive check out Cabella's they seem to have the lowest prices on new replicas (IMHO). Remington or Colt both have their +/-. You will be surprised at how accurate this 160 year old tech actually are when you shoot for the first time.
If you know a person that shoots cap and ball go along to the range and get an intro into the black arts.
Welcome my friend.

Fly
10-23-2013, 10:34 AM
I started with 50 cal muzzle loader, using patched round ball.Next 1858 remey cap & ball revolver.

Fly

dondiego
10-23-2013, 11:24 AM
I started when I was 15 (now 61) with an H&A .45 cal underhammer carbine (still have it) and then bought a Colt/Italian repro .44 cap and ball revolver, then a 58 cal Zouave replica when I was 18 (still have, shot it last month). I just bought a 32 cal Crocket a week ago. I have at least 10 others...............there is no cure.

aspangler
10-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Agreed. There is no cure. I now have 5 and looking at another.[smilie=b: The Holy Black will get you every time. My last was a 45 Jukar Kentucky rifle that with the right load will shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards with the little round ball. In fact it has already been "blooded". Killed a groundhog with a head shot at about 100. It never ends.

johnson1942
10-23-2013, 12:27 PM
if your going to plink and target and when you get comfortabe with the gun then hunt with it, a .50 cal roundball can do both. lyman makes a hawken look alike in slow twist and it is very accurate. if you can spend more money the pedersoli makes slow twist hawkens that are quality. you can also build a rifle from a kit. also rebarrel a thompson hawken or thompson renagade, ive done both. consider a .54 roundball also the balls dont cost more or only a little. it has more knock down power than the .50, how ever ive never lost a deer with a .50. make the first gun the one you really want and have fun. also ohers have suggested a hand gun. if i could afford one i would have one. too many things on my want list.

starmac
10-23-2013, 06:25 PM
A tc scout was just listed in Swapping and selling also. It would also make a good start, and I hope someone buys it quick.

snoopy
10-26-2013, 05:46 AM
Oooh, you poor thing! Immediate treatment is absolutely necessary! Be prepared for a long recuperation period.

Pat I.
10-26-2013, 06:29 AM
A good used .50 caliber traditional caplock would be a nice place to start. The equipment you'll need to shoot it is readily available and you can pick up used production guns pretty cheap. Don't spend a lot of money right off the bat until you find out if you like the game. Those used guns out there for cheap are there for a reason. Also be careful of buying a used gun without seeing it. Some guys opinion of good condition might not be the same as yours.