PDA

View Full Version : 308, from semi to bolt ?

Digger
10-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Need some advice here please gentlemen ....
Been loading for the Garand , .308 , full length sizing .....
Now that I picked up a Ruger .308 bolt ...... neck size only? ... another set of dies ?
Keep brass separate as a result ?
Currently using LC brass as a standard.
thanks

digger

BruceB
10-22-2013, 09:56 PM
There are three .308 rifles in my racks.

As far as *I* am concerned, I much prefer to load ONE "generic" load for all three rifles. Any load that works 100% in the auto-loaders WILL function in the bolt rifle too.

The minor improvements that may SOMETIMES be realized by loading different ammunition for each rifle don't particularly impress me. If I was intending to use the rifles in matches, then it might be worthwhile. As it is, good, reliable, functional ammunition is what I want. (Naturally, experimental cast-bullet loads are not affected by this principle...)

Consider: if you were restricted to factory-loaded ammo, this question would not arise.... but you would still have decent ammunition.

Just ENSURE that anything you load will fit in a cartridge gauge for that caliber.... this will ensure easy chambering in the the auto-loader, which is ESSENTIAL.

I follow the same single-load routine for .30'06 and .223/5.56, each of which has several representative rifles in my house.

Outpost75
10-22-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm not certain that the Ruger Gunsite is accurate enough to exploit any advantages in precision reloadin techniques. It is at best a 1-1/2 minute rifle, fine for its intended purpose, but you can get wrapped around the axle measuring with micrometers when you are cutting with axes.

Mk42gunner
10-22-2013, 11:33 PM
As usual, Bruce makes a lot of sense.

I tend to load the "generic" loads for all of my multiple guns in one caliber situation. If I where to make loads specific for my Enfield 2A (which has a throat about ¼" longer than my Mauser) guess which loads I would take to the range with the Mauser.

Robert

Piedmont
10-23-2013, 01:24 AM
I've handloaded for several .308s for years and have gotten by with one sizer die setting. However, I have one of those Enfield 2As and picked up another set of dies just for that because it has a looser chamber.

Within days I will be loading for a Remington .308 with a long throat, by far longer than the others. It is my intention to make ammo just for it and also to experiment for the first time with bullets larger than .310, which has been my go-to diameter with .30-30, .308 and .30-06 for years. If I can get by with .311, .312 or .314 it will shoot better for it because the bullets will tip less, so I guess you can count me in the camp of not making sure my loads will chamber in any rifle. I want to know what that rifle is capable of and not hamstring it with ammo deficiencies.

I guess this is another example of the difference between reloading and handloading. If you are preparing for the zombie apocalypse make sure the ammo will chamber in all the guns!

300savage
10-23-2013, 02:42 AM
only noticable difference will be in the longevity of your brass depending on how much you are working it.
when i was young i only neck sized if i could but i was shooting ten times as much as i am now.
even then any time i was going on a hunt i always made sure i was notouching the lands , and i full length resized.
reliability is the name of the hunting game.

Larry Gibson
10-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Use the RCBS X-die (standard as the SB is not necessary) if you want your ammo to be used in both rifles. Trimming won't be necessary and case lfe will be very good.

Larry Gibson

Smoke4320
10-23-2013, 11:42 AM
I second the RCBS X die .. I load for 3 308's 1 bolt and 2 semi's... same load ..same X dies .. all 3 shoot very accurately.. do the same for 223
when I do my part all the rifles will shoot 5/8" or better groups at 100 with jacketed bullets
only been casting for about 7 months and have most of them below 1" at 100 with cast
X dies work ! and cut trimming to a minimum if needed at all

williamwaco
10-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Use the dies you have.

If you have problems, then worry about buying another set.

I predict you will be happy with what you have.

45 2.1
10-23-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm not certain that the Ruger Gunsite is accurate enough to exploit any advantages in precision reloadin techniques. It is at best a 1-1/2 minute rifle, fine for its intended purpose, but you can get wrapped around the axle measuring with micrometers when you are cutting with axes.

After shooting four of them fairly extensively, I think you estimate of it's potential is quite a bit off........

Digger
10-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Excellent input gentlemen ..... When I started originally setting up for the Garand in .308 , I went with Mr Gibsons advice with the x-die's and lyman M die and am stocked at the moment with LC brass from Love Life"s coffers .
Mentioned in another thread here that I have come into possession of a new Ruger American bolt and I believe the chamber is quite a bit shorter , will have to fit test to confirm.
Now I have to find the time to find out for sure ... as it seems to have a reputation as of late for being very accurate ... will have to see.
Going to start out with the .311332 ......;)