PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil

Hickory
10-22-2013, 08:10 PM

My wife brought this home to use on her skin to keep it soft.
It's just a little softer then bee's wax.
Has anyone here ever used this for making boolit lube?

wrinkles
10-22-2013, 08:14 PM
I haven't but I hear it's a great gun lube.

Dale in Louisiana
10-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Also keeps your coconuts from squeaking.

dale in Louisiana

btroj
10-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Also keeps your coconuts from squeaking.

dale in Louisiana

Dale, that comment made my mind go sooooo many wrong places. Soo many.

hendere
10-22-2013, 10:48 PM
That was funny!

I bought some liquid stuff a while back and tried it with a beeswax and lithium lube I had been working with but had bad results. I'm interested in hearing other's results. I'm pretty new at making my own....

Garyshome
10-22-2013, 11:55 PM
I hate squeaky coconuts!

NoZombies
10-23-2013, 02:10 AM
I made some lube once using coconut oil and cocoa butter with a small amount of beeswax and carnauba. (I'm sorry, I don't remember the proportions)

It worked well enough for pistol loads (I only tried .38 and .32) but I stopped messing with it because strange women would always come over when I was shooting and try to rub it on their skin. The wife didn't seem to like that.

Hickory
10-23-2013, 05:09 AM
Boy, I ask a serious question and it turns into a comedy act.
Come on guys.

MikeyPooh
10-23-2013, 06:51 AM
The only thing I can tell you is that once you warm it up to about 75 or 80 degrees it liquifies.

fryboy
10-23-2013, 07:06 AM
but but but ... life with out humor would be ummm.... umm... humorless ;)

i'll grant that i had considered it , the fact that my summers are fairly brutal and it's melt value so low is what convinced me to not try it , i figured in my summers it's be alot like many other oils but that it'd be stiffer in the winter ( kind of opposite of my needs actually ) worse i do most my shooting when it's warmer out , the thought that sealed it for me not to try it was it wasnt on this page
http://www.lasc.us/LubeIngredients.htm

using the theory that it's more of a oil than a grease/wax one could mix it much like any other oil

what i find odd is that while supposedly great for cooking only hydrogenated cottonseed oil has more saturated fatty acids , palm oil on the other hand actually looses some when it's hydrogenated , it also has quite a low smoke point compared to most other oils ( check out the wiki on it )

lavenatti
10-23-2013, 07:11 AM
I just read an article that claims it can help Parkinsons.

http://www.naturalnews.com/042624_coconut_oil_Parkinsons_patient_quality_of_l ife.html

btroj
10-23-2013, 08:00 AM
With a low melt point you wouldn't want much in a lube.
Like Fryboy said, think of it as an oil, not a semi-solid grease.

I prefer to stick with oils that I know won't go rancid.

justing
10-23-2013, 08:01 AM
sound like a good idea my wife also got some of this stuff, and it would be good to put it to some use

btroj
10-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Let me ask this- what specific properties is this oil bringing to the mix? Better wetting? Improves viscosity? Leaves bore cleaner? Helps hold other oils in wax matrix?

Don't just add stuff to lube because it is around. Think of what properties it has that are useful. Each ingredient should be well thought out, have a purpose, and have reasonably known properties.

I am not a big fan of "because it was here" lube. I prefer something a bit more planned and well thought out.

NoZombies
10-23-2013, 01:45 PM
While the second part of my post was obviously a joke, the first part wasn't. I did experiment with using coconut oil and cocoa butter in lube.

While looking for other things, I discovered that I actually did write down my recipe, and the very rough proportions I gave earlier were off.

My recipe:

6 parts beeswax
3 parts cocoa butter
2 part coconut oil
1 part carnauba wax
and a pinch of stearic acid.

I wrote down that the lube was fine for pistols, but very smokey. It smells very good when being applied, but not nearly as good when shooting (though still very 'aromatic') I never tried the lube on anything but the .38 special and .32 S&W long, but did not note any decrease in accuracy.

Due to the cost I stopped experimenting (both coconut oil and cocoa butter are spendy).

Hickory
10-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Well I guess that settles it, not much good as a boolit lube.
I guess I'll use it myself, just rub some on my elbows and knees.

wrinkles
10-23-2013, 08:08 PM
I hear it's great for making popcorn.

35 shooter
10-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Never used either one of these recipes.Just wrote em down when i saw them once when i was researching lube recipes.
1 cup beeswax
1 cup coconut butter(hydrogenated)
melted and mixed by volume
add 1 tablespoon mobile 1 oil
softly firm but doesn't melt or separate
Guy said it worked in the Arizona heat

70% coconut oil bar and 30%beeswax melted together. Does not separate and can be used in lubrasizer.
This guy used lou-ana brand coconut oil bar.

Don't know if they work or not, never used em... good luck.

Hickory
10-23-2013, 09:23 PM
I hear it's great for making popcorn.

How about that.
Boy, do I have popcorn.
This year I planted 14 rows of popcorn 84 ft. long.
Popped some up tonight in a hot air popper. (Wife wants to keep me healthy so I live a long time) I tell her it's a loosing battle.
I'll give it a try tomorrow.

wrinkles
10-23-2013, 09:27 PM
So cool I've always wanted to try planting popcorn. I've been wanting to try coconut oil myself. Read somewhere that coconut oil the main ingredient in froglube.

Driver man
10-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Ive tried coconut oil for bp lube with mixed results. no better or worse than any other. However a teaspoon a day for medicinal purposes really kickstarts the metabolism and aids in weight loss if on a lo carb diet.

Hang Fire
10-24-2013, 12:39 AM
Never used either one of these recipes.Just wrote em down when i saw them once when i was researching lube recipes.
1 cup beeswax
1 cup coconut butter(hydrogenated)
melted and mixed by volume
add 1 tablespoon mobile 1 oil
softly firm but doesn't melt or separate
Guy said it worked in the Arizona heat

70% coconut oil bar and 30%beeswax melted together. Does not separate and can be used in lubrasizer.
This guy used lou-ana brand coconut oil bar.

Don't know if they work or not, never used em... good luck.

I be that Arizona guy, still using 50/50 coconut butter/beeswax by volume with same great results.

fryboy
10-24-2013, 04:57 AM
of note butter isnt the same as oil , last time i ordered from the sage i did throw in a spot of coconut butter as working outside in our winter tends to dry and chap skin

https://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html