PDA

View Full Version : Black powder load question

milsurpaddict
10-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Hey everyone. I know this is going to come across as a novice and somewhat lame question but here it goes. Are there any pistol or rifle loads for that matter using modern firearms and cases not specifically designed for black powder loads where black powder could be used. An example would be can you develop a load for let say a 45 acp semi automatic pistol using black powder and primers?

Thanks

Abenaki
10-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Sure you can.

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfzQ4uKvE7c

Take care
Abenaki

jonk
10-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Well, while I wouldn't normally recommend it, of course you can; just make sure to use a lube that works with black powder. That said, the grooves if they are designed for smokeless will fill up fast. Make sure to fill up the case to the bullet seat depth.

sthwestvictoria
10-24-2013, 08:35 AM
This fellow has an interesting set of blog posts about using black powder in the .45:
http://cemeterysgunblob.com/category/45acp-in-black/

groovy mike
10-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Yes indeed. Just remember that black powder residue needs substantially more cleaning than smokeless powder loads!

like it all
10-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Yes, absolutely. But you'll quickly find out why the development of self loaders came after the development of smokeless powder. Do it with a stainless gun as black powder residue and moisture create sulpheric acid. I would recomm

TXGunNut
10-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Yes indeed. Just remember that black powder residue needs substantially more cleaning than smokeless powder loads!

I must be doing it wrong. I can clean 3 BP guns before I can clean 1 SP gun.

waksupi
10-29-2013, 12:18 AM
I must be doing it wrong. I can clean 3 BP guns before I can clean 1 SP gun.

Man, tell me about it! It had been years since I have fired a jacketed bullet. I got a 9mm in trade with some factory ammo, and it took forever to get the copper out of the bore!

bigted
10-29-2013, 12:41 AM
SULFURIC ACID??? man I learn sumptin new every day. I gotta be doin something wrong too. itza wonder I aint ruint every gun I own!!!