PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating bullets using tumbler and steel shot

cal50
10-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Anyone try shot peening powder on bullets ????
Similar to the way you moly coat bullets using steel shot and a tumbler.

Works great for moly coating bullets just substitute powder coat for the moly.

bangerjim
10-22-2013, 04:29 PM
My 2 cents worth.....

Moly, like graphite, sticks to absolutely EVERYTHING very well. It coats stuff (even when you do not want it to!) and you cannot get it off if you try. Using the shot just pounds the stuff into the surface a bit.

Now......PC powder sticks to NOTHING without the electrostatic attraction. If you even slightly touch an unbaked slug, the powder come right off. I cannot see how banging it into a boolit will make it stick long enough to get the slugs on a sheet and bake them.

But, please.........try it and let us know how it works. Inquiring minds want to know!

You still cannot beat the electrostatic gun application....bar none.

banger

Rangefinder
10-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Straying just a tad... There are many reasons this forum--castboolits--has become my favorite place to "hang out" over the past several years. Among the top few reasons is the simple fact of just how much happens here with our goofy hobby/obsession. Try this (I do it once in a while and it truly baffles me every time): think about it just for a few minutes--think about your own shooting, your loading, casting, lubes, techniques, development--everything about how you do what you do with firearms. NOW, think about how much of what you do now can be traced difectly back to this forum--something someone figured out, some trick or technique shared or expanded on. Think where your current shooting habits or knowledge would be now had this forum and amazing group of people never been. It's flipping-scary. Do you guys have any idea how much time and money you all have cost me to get where I am now!!?? :bigsmyl2::kidding:

cal50
10-22-2013, 08:14 PM
My 2 cents worth.....

Moly, like graphite, sticks to absolutely EVERYTHING very well. It coats stuff (even when you do not want it to!) and you cannot get it off if you try. Using the shot just pounds the stuff into the surface a bit.

Now......PC powder sticks to NOTHING without the electrostatic attraction. If you even slightly touch an unbaked slug, the powder come right off. I cannot see how banging it into a boolit will make it stick long enough to get the slugs on a sheet and bake them.

But, please.........try it and let us know how it works. Inquiring minds want to know!

You still cannot beat the electrostatic gun application....bar none.

banger

No doubt spraying powder electrically attracted works. Shot peening is just a mechanical process to peen the surface and introducing a solid be it moly or powder paint just allows it to be peened to the surface. My only question is if the coating left is thick enough to use as is / or bake or will the paint simply not stay peened on the surface.

If I had some powder paint I will try it but I will have to wait until my next Harbor Freight trip to buy some unless someone has a shot glass full they can spare for an experiment.