PDA

View Full Version : Ajay, Hogtamer and all 20ga roundball shooters? Target loads needed.

cpileri
10-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Hi All,
been rummaging thru the old threads to find loads, looking in manuals and finding some shot loads w approximate correct weight, but 5/8oz 20ga loads are rare.
Anyway, i am still working on acuracy and safety (non-auto ejecting) loads for break action 20ga.

Got any lighter loads to share, in the 1200fps range?

Something that will allow me to get a sight-in and bore-fit combination done without pounding me or the gun too much?

My bores are .619 and .6225, as mic'd out. I didnt do the best job of reaming out the chokes; so they are somewhat larger in the bore, then take a slight constriction down to the above listed diameters.

I am either going to patch a .60, .610 or .570-8 ball UP, or else find the correct fit into a wad cup.

Any help appreciated.

C-

SuperBlazingSabots
10-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Hello Brother Cpileri, with the .575" RB in wad in 20 gauge:
1. 17 to 19 gr Bullseye and 19 gr will give about 1420 fps give or take a few fps based on your crimp!
2. 20 to 22 gr Unique and 22 gr will give about 1430 fps give or take a few fps based on your crimp!
3. 26 to 28 7625 and 28 gr will give you about 1527 fps give or take a few fps based on your crimp!
4. 27 to 29.5 gr Herco and 29.5 gr will give you about 1546 fps give or take a few fps based on your crimp!
Mind you, the above loads are good hunting loads, very accurate!
My .44 Remington Magnum Ruger Super Red hawk with 7.5 inch barrels can only shoot a 300 gr bullet at 1113 fps for Universal to 1325 fps with H110, compare it to the above loads that are basic hunting loads in 20 gauge, our 20 gauge has turned into a Big Bore Nitro Express beating the old British Paradox guns left and right in the hands of a good shooter.

“Successful people are always looking for opportunities to help others. Unsuccessful people are always asking, 'What's in it for me?'”

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi

" A happy man is one who loads his own slugs and burn's powder at the range" - Super Blazing Sabots!

"An inventor fails 999 times, and if he succeeds once, he's in.
I'll let you know when I'm in!
He treats his failures simply as practice shots. ~ Charles F. Kettering

Best regards,
Ajay
SuperBlazingSabots,com
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl[/url]
http://slugshooting.accountsupport.com/[/url] ... wforum.php
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr[/url] ... ot!/page1
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=118&t=196961[/url]
http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/fo...p?f=43&t=39246[/url]
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/slug-gu...old-is-gold-!/[/url]
-Elite Group of Slug Shooter's
We all, who take slug loading seriously are a dedicated family, who have taken it upon ourselves to perfect our tech. We experiment to find better techniques and share our knowledge.
Location: New Jersey. USA / Frankfort, W.Germany / London, UK
-Elite Group of Slug Shooter's
We all, who take slug loading seriously are a dedicated family, who have taken it upon ourselves to perfect our tech. We experiment to find better techniques and share our knowledge.

cpileri
10-22-2013, 04:59 PM
thanks Ajay.
I was wondering how low some of your loads could be reduced without risking a squib.
C-

cpileri
10-22-2013, 05:35 PM
i found a few in Handloader issue 279. They are 2.75" shot loads, but can translate to the round ball by weight.
5/8oz (for the .570=286gr) ball and 3/4oz for the 335gr .610 ball. Close enough w these light loads.

5/8oz
Green Dot 14gr 1202fps in 28"bbl

3/4oz
green Dot 14.8gr 1198fps

(otherloads w Int'l, Red dot, and 700-X; but I dont have any of those powders)

C-

cpileri
10-22-2013, 06:30 PM
And from loaddata, looks like 15-16gr unique will get 3/4oz to 1200fps at 8500-8900psi.
C-

hardy
10-23-2013, 12:44 AM
thanks Ajay.
I was wondering how low some of your loads could be reduced without risking a squib.
C-
Hi cpileri,I.ve been using both Green dot and Unique loads similar to those posted working from I ounce shot data.To maintain a solid column I used Grits as a filler below and above the ball,more powder,less Grits,same volume,no bloopers.Grits does not produce increased felt recoil as much as COW with the same loads.Use this info at your risk but the 1200fps data is much lower pressure than 1500fps(obviously)thus leaving leeway for the addition of Grits and the use of a 3/4 ounce ball as opposed to 1 ounce of shot
Good luck,Mike

cpileri
10-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks hardy.
I have Malt-O-Meal on hand, and have used. Finally found a good use for that stuff!
;)

C-

Buttonbuck
10-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Got a load worked up for the kid to shoot deer at 35 yards 20.8 gr herco from a lee loader bushing. She hunted no luck but she did well at 40 yd at the range. She will try again in a month.

cpileri
10-24-2013, 06:19 PM
I sure do appreciate everyone's help. I'll get this 20ga figured out yet!
C-

bikerbeans
10-24-2013, 06:46 PM
C-,

I load the Lee .575 RBs in the trap comm. wad with the 28ga .125" nitro card underneath the ball - Ajay's load. Using a Rem 870 with 20" smoothbore cyl. choke barrel and WSF it will keep on a pie plate out to about 50 yards with a Red Dot. I don't want to post the weight of the WSF because it would be from my faulty memory. If you want it, let me know and I will look it up.

BB

cpileri
10-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Bikerbeans,
Well, sure i take all load data even if only to save it for later.
I dont have any WSF so dont spend any real time getting it. If its convenient, then sure please do.
C-

cpileri
10-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Ok, so i got a target load 9test load anyway) figured out. basically, i chose to use teflon wrap instead of paper patch.
I am using the savage w 0.6225" bore.
I figured paper patching was kind of a pain; wrap, measure, wrap measure, let dry, measure, maybe wrap again.
So I switched to using teflon. The teflon wrap is 0.01" thick, and comes pre-cut 'sort of' to 10 or 12ga hulls.
Well, I soon found out that cutting teflon into properly sized wraps is also a pain. Read on.

As I assembled and disassembled different combinations of wad columsn and teflon wraps, I found that the hard card wads which I have directly under the ball are so tight in the hull that they would not allow the teflon around them without bulging the hull. Maybe it would have chambered, but I didnt bother to find out. So I had to cut the teflon into a thin strip that sits on top of the hard card and only wraps the ball, and of the exact circumference of the .6225" bore without over nor underlapping. I did pretty well w my eyes, a straight edge, and scissors.

Here is what I came up with.

Bottom-to-top of hull:
209 Primer
2.75" hull (federal)
14gr Green Dot
x20x
1/4" cork
1/4" felt
1/4" cork
2x1/8" dark hard card wads
teflon wrap cut to length 4.96cm and height (minimum halfway diameter of round ball and max diameter of round ball, so I picked 0.5", which worked well for crimp; 0.4" would probably be better next time), dusted w HBN
.60 lead round ball (~325gr)
roll crimp

Here is a picture, better than 1000 words:

The powder charge is a target load, not expecting more than 1200fps.
This is just to test the teflon-wrapped-round ball for accuracy. If this works, I will up the powder charge.
Better still would be a .602" lead ball. But of course if we could get perfectly sized custom components, we wouldn't be going through all this, would we?

C-

SuperBlazingSabots
03-13-2021, 09:52 AM
Greetings Cpileri, sure miss you.
Hoping you are well under Gods Grace and Glory.
Would love to hear from you my friend.

Warmest regards,
Ajay K. Madan
Super Blazing Sabots

Hogtamer
03-14-2021, 11:03 PM
Ajay, Sadly Carl passed away a year or more ago.

SuperBlazingSabots
03-15-2021, 09:26 AM
Carl, was indeed a true friend, fair and balanced to all.

If he used your idea, he would surely give you the due credit no matter what like a " Gentleman "
He would communicate outside of the Forum.
But then we still do have yet another " Gentleman here just like Carl "

He too communicates outside of the forum and gives credit where its due.
You really have to be " Rich within ourselves before we can do that "
Who is this Mistry guy ?
It LongBow !

We all who loved Carl need to give him his due respect with a " Tribute "
Please find some real good pictures of Carl.

In Fond Memories of Carl ( Cpileri )

Ajay K. Madan
Super Blazing Sabots

longbow
03-16-2021, 08:03 PM
Well... late to know but bad news just the same! I was rereading Carl's posts that Ajay resurrected. Re-read some and had missed others but enjoyed every word. I recently PM'd Carl to ask some questions not knowing he had passed. Very sad news indeed.

Carl always provided good posts and information. He will be missed! Hard to believe he has been gone as long as he has.

RIP Carl!

Longbow

SuperBlazingSabots
03-17-2021, 09:35 AM
I sure am happy Longbow you came aboard and since we all loved him, its time for a
Tribute for Carl.

I will some how need a few good pictures of Carl and will make it.
Next we need to make it a . . . .

Whom can I talk to in his family and his number, please !

I dearly loved my friend Cpileri

Ajay K. Madan
Super Blazing Sabots