PDA

View Full Version : toilet bowl wax rings for bullet lube?

dcanny
10-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Has anyone ever used toilet wax rings for bullet lube? I have a friend that melts wax rings and dips bullets in for lube. Wax ring supposedly have a high bees wax content.

lancem
10-22-2013, 02:06 PM
They used to but not anymore, they are made from what is considered waste wax, they will vary from batch to batch in composition and by most are considered not usable for bullet lube.

D Crockett
10-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Has anyone ever used toilet wax rings for bullet lube? I have a friend that melts wax rings and dips bullets in for lube. Wax ring supposedly have a high bees wax content. they might of been made out of bees wax at one time but not today they are made out of cheep petroleum wax good for bullet lube I think not but they do make a good flux when you are cleaning dirty lead D Crockett

w5pv
10-22-2013, 02:09 PM
I tried some in Ben's Red and it didn't turn out at all just a big sticky mess.I have been wondering what to do with it.Been thinking about adding some bee's wax but I hate to mess up more.

dcanny
10-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Thanks

Beagle333
10-22-2013, 02:25 PM
RandyRat sells beeswax with a really high (100%) beeswax content! Cheap too! ;) It works great in my lube formulas when I make my own.

Whiterabbit
10-22-2013, 02:30 PM
junk wax. bought a bunch, used a bunch. it works, but it's really soft. really really soft. makes a mess, still doesn't apply nicely, doesn't fill out well in grooves compared to honest formulas. squeezes out everywhere from your luber and makes a mess.

Does work though, well enough. It's kind of a why bother, since its so comparatively painful to deal with.

338RemUltraMag
10-22-2013, 05:06 PM
I found some NOS wax rings for cheep and made up a mess of Black Powder lube for my patches, too bad it is junk wax now a days.

Reg
10-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Got into big trouble years ago saying it was usable on another site. Did mix up a batch with paraffin ( canning wax ) and tempered it with Vaseline. Yes, it was a bit sticky as far as a lube went but NEVER had any leading problems whatever, this was with all loads from 22 to 45 and at all velocities. and in all weather. Four of us were using it. We punched a lot of paper and shot a few deer to boot.
Must admit I do prefer Recluse now, I just like how it works and handles and we still get the same result.
Before anyone says it doesn't work, perhaps they should ACTUALLY try it first.

harvester
10-22-2013, 07:39 PM
I too have used paraffin with the ring and a little STP and it worked ok, I also added a small bit of blue crayon to make it easy to distinguish from other lube formula. I apply it to it the die when I size using a Lee die but I do not use it often due to it being a little difficult to work with.

Buck-N-Rut
10-22-2013, 07:45 PM
I mixed it with stp, Vaseline, and a red crayon. Worked fine. No leading.

Old Caster
10-23-2013, 11:07 AM
I would be afraid there would be no consistency. That is probably why some liked it and some didn't. I am sure it is made from the easiest to find and cheapest materials possible and that may vary from time to time.

dcanny
10-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Thank you to every one you have been very helpful. I am a new member as of 10-20-13 and this was my first post. I am very impressed!

runfiverun
10-23-2013, 12:53 PM
here is the deal with lube.
if you don't have leading and the accuracy is acceptable you have a good nuff lube.
if the accuracy is suffering and you have a good known load, adding some friction to the lube can help bring the accuracy around to an acceptable level.

dverna
10-23-2013, 06:50 PM
With White Label lubes delivered to my door for $2 a stick I do not see the value in trying to make anything cheaper. After the time invested in casting good bullets why would I want to put some stuff make for the crapper on my bullets?

Don Verna

paul h
10-23-2013, 07:44 PM
With White Label lubes delivered to my door for $2 a stick I do not see the value in trying to make anything cheaper. After the time invested in casting good bullets why would I want to put some stuff make for the crapper on my bullets?

Don Verna

My sentiments exactly! I used to make moly-lithium/beeswax lube, which is an excellent lube, but it's simply not worth the mess, stink and fuss when I can get a mailer full of BAC and just stuff em in my Lyman 450.

dcanny
10-24-2013, 04:38 PM
point taken.

Mike 56
10-24-2013, 08:55 PM
I have made grease cookies for my cap and ball revolvers using 1/4 wax ring, 1 stick of paraffin wax and few table spoons of Crisco worked great.

John Allen
10-24-2013, 09:02 PM
You guys are doing it all wrong you are supposed to use wax rings that have been installed for at least 5 years. This way they are seasoned.

blikseme300
10-24-2013, 09:07 PM
You guys are doing it all wrong you are supposed to use wax rings that have been installed for at least 5 years. This way they are seasoned.

[smilie=l:

Wolfer
10-24-2013, 10:44 PM
I haven't tried the seasoned rings but the only lube I shoot in my pistols is based on Johnny rings. Before I started keeping bees I mixed it about 50/50 with parrifin. I usually threw in a little grease or Vaseline.
I dip lube so if it's not to suit me I add more hard stuff or soft stuff as the situation dictates.
I can't compare it to anything else since this is what I started with and have never saw a reason to change. To each his own. Woody

retread
10-25-2013, 12:29 AM
I too have tried it mixed with parrifin and RCBS case lube. Seemed to work okay. Have tried other formulas but have now settled on Ben's Red and TAC 1 from Randyrat.

dcanny
10-25-2013, 03:04 PM
It is illegal to use poison boolits in Wisconsin. You don't realize how lucky you are.

Mike 56
10-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Back in the day I would see guys using wax rings for over ball lube for cap and ball revolvers but back then it was not uncommon to see guys using automotive grease from a grease gun.

Wolfer
10-30-2013, 12:45 PM
I've topped off the balls on a cap and ball with most things available but crisco is about as good as it gets IMO.

Mike 56
10-30-2013, 03:14 PM
I like Cisco too. I use a meat syringe to put it over the balls. Not so messy. I just use a little I don't fill the whole chamber.

Garyshome
10-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Yes but those used wax rings smell funny when I use them. Gotta save a buck though!

bedbugbilly
10-30-2013, 03:50 PM
I use it for my BP revolvers all the time - I melt a toilet ring and a 1 pound can of Crisco and then pour it in to old musket cap tins. As stated - they aren't the good old beeswax they once were but then again, they have to be soft to form a seal when setting a toilet. The results I get with the ring/crisco is a softer lube that I can easily dip with my finger and smear into the loaded chambers. For me it works great in the BP revolvers - keeps fouling down, or seems to and I can fire quite a few cylinders - have never had a problem with a sticky cylinder pin.

Now . . . for cast boolits? I haven't tried it . . . yet. I've thought about it but when I have, I'm thinking I'd want to add some pure beeswax to "stiffen" it - in which case, I might just as well start out with pure beeswax. The toilet ring/crisco mix softens easily in hot weather as well.

I know there are some on here who probably sell beeswax. I used to by large blocks or pure beeswax from a local apiary - you could check your yellow pages and see if you have a bee supply place near you. I have no idea how much it costs today as I still have some left over from a purchase quite a few years ago.

clintsfolly
04-13-2014, 08:22 AM
Have buddy that like to be a pain in the backside and I till him to back off or I will shoot him in the wallet with a boolit lubed with a used toilet ring and try to get both cheeks! Think of the mess to cleanup. Clint

wyoske
04-13-2014, 11:42 PM
I tried it once, shot on an indoor range, pretty soon the whole place smelled like s+*#!...... oh, you guys were using new rings.

leftiye
04-14-2014, 05:15 AM
Got into big trouble years ago saying it was usable on another site. Did mix up a batch with paraffin ( canning wax ) and tempered it with Vaseline. Yes, it was a bit sticky as far as a lube went but NEVER had any leading problems whatever, this was with all loads from 22 to 45 and at all velocities. and in all weather. Four of us were using it. We punched a lot of paper and shot a few deer to boot.
Must admit I do prefer Recluse now, I just like how it works and handles and we still get the same result.
Before anyone says it doesn't work, perhaps they should ACTUALLY try it first.

Plus 1 - I think it is probly a good ingredient for lubes. Though it may not be made consistently, if you find a brand that works well, and stick with that, it should be "a good ingredient." It is similar to the old time petrolatum, or vaseline in that it has some oils and waxes that vary in carbon string length that have lubricity. As was also said in the latest stuff from the Ultimate Lube thread it may be better to stiffen it up with microcrystalline wax (180), and soften it with mineral oil. There's getting to be enough knowledge here on Castboolits about lubes that while there may not yet be an ultimate lube, there are a whole raft of superior lubes that work very well (though maybe not universally).

pls1911
04-14-2014, 10:22 PM
I bought out an old guy's stock of solid stick lube at a gun show several years ago.
I mixed some of it 50-50 with wax ring wax, and it works fine in pistols and rifles to 30-30 . I'm still trying to work through the 12-15 resulting tubes of lube.
It may not be the best, but in my experience it's plenty good enough.