PDA

View Full Version : Myu Dog is ill.

mroliver77
10-22-2013, 11:51 AM
If you would please add a prayer for my Zues. He has an infected leg and is very ill. He is on antibiotics and some home remedy. Danged inbred "purebreds"!

country gent
10-22-2013, 11:52 AM
will keep your friend and companio in our prayers here Mr. Oliver

alrighty
10-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Prayers sent Jay.

Garyshome
10-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Take him to the vet! TODAY!

square butte
10-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Prayers sent for Zues - and Jay

waksupi
10-22-2013, 03:41 PM
See if you can find some carbolic salve, and then put a cone on him so he can't lick it. That salve can draw a serious infection out.

Here's my old family recipe, if you can't find a commercial preparation.

Dick's Salve

1# mutton or cow tallow
1/2 pt. sweet oil (olive oil)
pine rosin the size of a large egg. (Baseball rosin would work great)

Cook together until it starts smoking.

(You are heating it this much, to make the oil molecules polymerize. If it is like other formulas I make, it usually needs about a half hour of constant stirring to really do a good job. Control that heat!)

Then remove from stove, and while constantly stirring,

add 1 pint turpentine (did I mention this is a good thing to make outside?)
and 1 oz. carbolic acid (Search Phenol on Ebay.)

Keep stirring until completely blended. It will start setting up as it cools, and will stay mixed once it starts stiffening.

Should be heated to liquid form to use. Immerse clean white bandage, apply to wound as hot as you can stand, and secure for 24 hours. Change and repeat if necessary.
On serious infection, can be used constantly changing bandage, as salve cools completely.

mroliver77
10-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks Ric.The salve I have is similar blend. It is good drawing salve! He is feeling better this afternoon. The leg even looks way better.

I am not in a position to be able to take him to a vet.

Thanks for the prayers!
J

Gibbs44
10-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Prayers sent, hope he continues to improve.

unclogum bill
10-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Its been a few days, How is he making out?. And almost as important, how are you making out?