PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Reloader Special 5.. Any fans out there?

newfoundlander
11-06-2007, 12:59 AM
I have a Reloader Special 5 coming my way as part of a trade. The press is NiB and I was wondering about it's merits. I realise the press' opening is smallish and that the frame and block are made from aluminum. How would the RS5 fair as a portable seating press? I use "Vickerman" type dies from several manufacturers .
Cheers!

NVcurmudgeon
11-06-2007, 03:05 AM
newfoundlander, I have a RS4. I got it about 1990 after inquiring of RCBS if I should be concerned about the slight wobble in my much used RCBS Jr. press. They replied that my Jr. was just getting broken in, and they were sending me the RS 4 no charge. They had no way of knowing for sure that I even had a Jr. A free press is a good thing, but I was a little disappointed because I was planning to buy a Rockchuker. Guess I'll never have the Rockchucker now! The old 1963 Jr. is still going strong for a friend in Montana. My RS 4 has been kept quite busy loading fo some twenty or so calibers and is as good as new. I especially appreciate the angled mounting of the "O". It really opens up the working area compared to the old Jr. which was a straght on "O" type. I believe the ram priming system was introduced when they came out with the RS presses, and it has become my favorite way to prime. I load rifle cartridges up to .30/06 and .35 Whelen, and down to .223, and pistol cartridges from 9 Luger through .44 Magnum and .45 ACP. I even do a little case formng. The RS 4 meets all my single station needs. (I also have a Dillon Square Deal for several pistol calibers that I need a high volume of.) If I have to be a perfectionist and complain about something, the RS 4 primer catcher misses a lot of primers. I had to build up the sides of the catcher with tape and cardboard to corral most of the primers. Very occasionally, the dead primers will bridge in the ram and build up until they prevent cases from entering the shell holder, but a bent piece of coathanger wire soon fixes that.

Bret4207
11-06-2007, 08:23 AM
I have an RS2. No problems. Primer catcher? That broke years ago....

USARO4
11-06-2007, 12:46 PM
I've used a RS5 for about 15 years with total satisfaction. I have Lee turret (not turrent) and a Lee classic turret now for 95% of my reloading, so the RS5 is relegated to sizing bullets thru Lee sizing dies and other assorted chores. But it's like an old friend and it keeps going strong.

newfoundlander
11-13-2007, 03:17 PM
After getting the press earlier yesterday I must say I'm impressed! In use the RS5 is a really well thought out piece of kit that Goldilocks would approve of. The offset frame and wide window along with the handle's position are "just right" and the weight oif the unit, or lack thereof, would make for great potability. I have the press bolted to an RCBS Accessory Base Plate where I'll be using it for "lighter" chores. I have a battery of massive Uber presses that take up a lot of space and the compact size and light weight of the RS5 means quick and easy swap outs when space is needed.

For anybody reading this who is considering an RCBS RS 2-5 don't pass one up if the price is right. Sadly, RCBS has put a comparatively heavy MSRP price on this press. Hopefully with the (re)introduction of the Lee Challenger "Breech Block" RCBS will see fit to lower the price on the RS5.