PDA

View Full Version : 26mm rifle scopes, are there any of recent mfg.?

texassako
10-22-2013, 09:38 AM
I have a Finnish Mosin Nagant M28-76 with the original tapered dovetail scope mount system. It has 26mm rings. I am using an old Kollmorgen Bear Cub scope currently but would like something a bit newer. It has a few small issues and optics are so much better these days. I have been unable to find anything other than old scopes. Or maybe a 1" scope and some shim material would work?

Janoosh
10-22-2013, 11:43 AM
I use auto gasket material of different thicknesses for odd sized scopes. I paint one or both sides of the pre-cut shim/gasket with contact cement and let dry overnight to form a rubberized coating to grip the scope. Mind you, I'm not gluing the gasket to the scope, just forming a non-slip surface on the shim. IDK of any modern made 26mm scopes.

Dan Cash
10-22-2013, 06:22 PM
I would like to hear more about this myself. I have an older 28mm Redfield scope which I would like to use but rings seem to have gone the way of the Dodo bird.

Janoosh
10-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Ok, here's what i use. At the auto parts store is gasket material. I buy it in a pre-packaged roll. The gasket material comes in different thicknesses. It is not cork, but a fibre sheet. I use a piece of string around the scope to gauge length of gasket shim. You'll have to figure out the thickness according to what you'll need. I cut the gasket/shim to just over the width of the ring I'm using. I coat one side of the gasket/shim with rubber cement and let dry over night. This usually stops the scope from sliding. Install gasket/shim on scope and install rings. You'll put the sticky side towards the scope. Tighten rings,.....that's it. I'm not gluing the gasket/shim to the scope, just creating a rubbery, non slip shim.

Janoosh
10-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Oh...I had a Hensoldt/Wetzlar scope in 26 mm. I don't know if they are still made. Nice scope, my friend made me an offer i couldn't refuse...