PDA

View Full Version : Who was the fella that owned the amplifier forum?

Just Duke
10-22-2013, 02:31 AM
Who was the fella that owned the amplifier forum?

6bg6ga
10-22-2013, 05:55 AM
Can you be more specific? I have a small amplifier forum that has threads on both SS amplifiers and tube amplifiers.

rattletrap1970
10-22-2013, 06:11 AM
I have a Peavey 50/410 Classic Tweed Guitar amp I used to use for Harmonica Gigs.

Just Duke
10-22-2013, 06:39 AM
I have a Peavey 50/410 Classic Tweed Guitar amp I used to use for Harmonica Gigs.

Peavey's are great amps.
I'm looking for a replacement that would surpass the Marshall JCM 900 or Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with more of a Metallica boomey on the muted string and more crunch.
I played both today and they were both very colored.

Just Duke
10-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Can you be more specific? I have a small amplifier forum that has threads on both SS amplifiers and tube amplifiers.

PM Sent! :)

arjacobson
10-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Peavey's are great amps.
I'm looking for a replacement that would surpass the Marshall JCM 900 or Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with more of a Metallica boomey on the muted string and more crunch.
I played both today and they were both very colored. Try a splawn amp out. I played marshalls for years and they are no comparison. I haven't been in the guitar game for a while but I still have my quickrod splawn.....might even sell it to the right person......

shredder
10-24-2013, 08:54 PM
If you can find the Genz BEnz El Diablo give that thing a serious listen. Everyone's quest for tone is different but the El Diablo is such a powerful, ripping metal tool you should give it a listen. I have the El Diablo 60 head, been playing for 35 years, many years pro but in the past. I currently own 6 different amps but the EL Diablo is top dog. This thing shreds.

The dual rec takes a bit of time to really dial it in. The peavey original 5150 is still out there too and if you can take the volume, they have sheer power and tight grind. Also keep in mind that with Marshalls, most of the tones you have heard from them (like early Metallica) are from modified amps. These tones also involve extra processing like distortion stomboxes, compression, multi band parametric EQ, noise supression/gates, etc.

Your instrument is responsible for loads of color in your tone as well, and the pickups may be most important of all, next to the amp itself. Be sure to try many different instruments through each amp. You may find some hidden tones in there.

Happy tone hunting, it never really ends!!!

Just Duke
10-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Try a splawn amp out. I played marshalls for years and they are no comparison. I haven't been in the guitar game for a while but I still have my quickrod splawn.....might even sell it to the right person......

This is true. I'm looking for a tech guy to build my own series of amps though. ;)
Splawn does make a fine amp. Mr Splawn started out hot hodding Marshalls and parts got to expensive so he started his own company. Hot rodding Marshalls and/or building them on an expired patent would be pretty easy even for myself, but I want my own show. lol
Besides this is not missile technology. ;)
Can you PM me your number?

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Interested in a B-52 AT-100? "AT" is all tube. I got a like new Taylor T-3 you could buy to go with it.

Rich

arjacobson
10-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Yes I will..