PDA

View Full Version : Polish 98? Questions after dismal range outing

SPRINGFIELDM141972
10-21-2013, 01:23 PM
I took my "sporterized" Polish Mauser (no markings other than a Z in a circle proof mark on the barrel) to the range yesterday. I hadn't shot this rifle prior to taking it to the range. I had loaded 5 each Lee Karbiner rounds with Unique starting at 13.0 up to 14.5 in .5 gr increments. I couldn't get on paper at fifty yards with three rounds, so I dropped to 25 yard. I still couldn't find the 8 x 11 paper with three rounds. I put up a 24 x 24 and found the rounds 8" inches to the right at 25 yards. So the question (s) are:

1. How much windage can expect to get out of the front sight?
2. Could the stock pull the barrel out alignment that far from warping?
3. Any other help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Everett

adrians
10-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Have you ran a slug through that barrel,?
I have a gew88 with the circle z (Czech barrel?) which measures .317" , some can be as small as .316" .

Just a thought,,,,,,,:twisted:

Scharfschuetze
10-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Everett,

If your sight radius is normal, you need to adjust your front sight about 32 MOA or .256" to the right to clear up your issues with the excessive deflection.

I don't think that stock warp could move you that many MOA in deflection or elevation.

Check you crown and see if it's square to the bore. I had a weapon that was off quite a bit once and that was the solution.

You might also check and see if your rear sight or front sight is canted away from the vertical too.

Good luck.

Mk42gunner
10-21-2013, 10:59 PM
You might also look down the bore at a bright light source to see if it is bent. If it is off by eight inches at 25 Yards, you should be able to see a bend with your without much problem.

Keep us posted as to what you find out. Long distance troubleshooting is a real guessing game.

Robert

captaint
10-22-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm with Mk42Gunner here. If the barrel's bent, you'll see it if you look carefully. Generally, the Radom's and the CZ barrels were very good rifles. Mike

UBER7MM
10-22-2013, 09:42 PM
I took my "sporterized" Polish Mauser (no markings other than a Z in a circle proof mark on the barrel) to the range yesterday. I hadn't shot this rifle prior to taking it to the range. I had loaded 5 each Lee Karbiner rounds with Unique starting at 13.0 up to 14.5 in .5 gr increments. I couldn't get on paper at fifty yards with three rounds, so I dropped to 25 yard. I still couldn't find the 8 x 11 paper with three rounds. I put up a 24 x 24 and found the rounds 8" inches to the right at 25 yards. So the question (s) are:

1. How much windage can expect to get out of the front sight?
2. Could the stock pull the barrel out alignment that far from warping?
3. Any other help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Everett

Everett,

I've had the same experience. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the Karabiner boolit. I was experimenting with medium burning powders last Summer. I think that the boolit might be too long/heavy for the modest velocities I was obtaining. My second theory is that the boolits might be sized too small a diameter and need to be larger. However, .325" should have been sufficient.
I haven't had a chance this year to verify my theories. Anybody else had "minute of barn broadside" accuracy with the Karabiner in the 8x57? Please advise.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
10-23-2013, 08:17 AM
The thought of a bent barrel crossed my mind. I haven't had a chance to check the barrel out for straightness. I did slug the barrel and found the bore to be over-sized. It slugs out at .326. The rifling is pretty sharp but the bore is dark. I'm afraid it is going to be difficult seeing a light reflection difference with the bore being dark. It might work if I oil the bore.

Kraschenbirn
10-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Anybody else had "minute of barn broadside" accuracy with the Karabiner in the 8x57? Please advise.

Yup!! Actually, I've had exactly the same 'deflection' problem with a sporterized VZ-24 in 8x57. Darn thing shoots so far to the right (with both cast and jacketed) that I've pretty much decided on rebarreling rather than investing any more time, powder, lead, etc. Original barrel (# matches receiver) slugs .3235 and is almost mirror-bright but I've been working with it, off and on, for a couple years without any success. On the other hand, that same Lee boolit is my 'go-to' for my other 8x57s and will match ball-ammo accuracy in any of them.

Bill

WILCO
10-23-2013, 08:41 AM
I hadn't shot this rifle prior to taking it to the range.

Hi Everett!

Sounds like a "Boolit" fit/lube issue.
I'd go back to square one.
Prep the bore with a thorough scrubbing, make sure the boolit size is correct, use a proper lube and try another powder like 2400.
Don't fret the other things until you spend some time with this rifle.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
10-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Wilco,

I intend to work every angle prior to getting into messing with barrels. It just seemed strange to me that the boolits did "group" (I use the term loosely) all in the same area. I also had to use the rear elevator up to 400 meters to get on point.

Regards,
Everett

leadman
10-24-2013, 11:54 AM
I had a Universal brand M-1 carbine that shot farther off than your gun. I did find the barrel was bent so took the action out of the stock and held it muzzle down, action up on an angle and stepped in the middle of the barrel. Took several times to get it to shoot poa. The range officer got a laugh and good head shake out of it! LOL.
I use the Karabiner in my Rolling block 8X58RD, and an 8X57 with no issues at low velocity.